forum

How big is the difference between 60 and 120hz?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RinnRinn
I've been playing for about 6 months at this point. Just the other day I was going through the settings, and found that my laptop's screen could go from 60 to 120hz and I had been playing at 60hz this whole time. Yet all of a sudden I feel like playing Osu is waaay harder. I don't know if I'm just bad, or if there's a big gap between playing at 60 and 120hz and I just don't know it. Can it actually mess up your skills if you go from 60 to 120 hz?
shmowzoww
Night and day.
Legendary
The difference is crazy, def recommend a 120hz or 144hz monitor.
abraker
I got a 165Hz monitor. Things sure a lot smoother.
Flanster
around 60
TheKingHenry

Flanster wrote:

around 60

fuck beat me to it lol
Nuuskamuikkunen
Even from 60 to 72 there's a noticeable difference
TicClick
AndreTsoi
I have a 144hz monitor and even though I am by no means a good player - but I can tell you that it's a big difference. You will never be able to go back to 60hz, that said - you don't need it.
-Abby-
It's very comfortable. And mathematically speaking, it's a good advantage.
144hz = 7 millisecond of refresh rate
60hz = 16 millisecond of refresh rate
There are 9ms of difference. In OD 8 songs you have (+/-)31.5ms (= 63ms) to hit a 300 circle.
That means 14% (9ms are approximately 14% of 63ms) more time available to see an approach circle moving* and hit a 300...
In greater OD's it increases (OD11=34%).

*=disappearing if you are playing hidden

The cursor becomes smoother too.
Mynarcoia
100% difference, seriously you can never go back to 60hz after you play on 120/144/240hz
Nikolai

Markymark198 wrote:

100% difference, seriously you can never go back to 60hz after you play on 120/144/240hz

yes you can, stop lying to yourself
MusicRitman
Smooth play I think. Cuz it's more image updates.
Hellnickell
In my opinion, it really only makes a big difference in osu!mania. In standard osu!, 60hz is fine. You can play with 120hz for smoother results, but 60hz isn't that bad.

But if you play osu!mania, you need a 120hz monitor, or else all the notes will be blurry and you'll have a tough time reading the notes.

I'm not too sure about the other gamemodes.
KoleciAlexandru

Ginotec wrote:

There are 9ms of difference. In OD 8 songs you have (+/-)31.5ms (= 63ms) to hit a 300 circle.
That means 14% (9ms are approximately 14% of 63ms) more time available to see an approach circle moving* and hit a 300...

Jeez, this guy knows his math
RhythmicRS
smoooooooooooooooth
- Lena -

Ginotec wrote:

what a legend
Piejietjen
That's some dang impressive math

Ginotec wrote:

Anyway, I highly enjoyed using a 144hz screen when I had the chance. But in my opinion, and especially since I don't really play competitively, it wasn't worth the extra money. A smooth and stable 60 is (again in my opinion) far more enjoyable (and much easier to attain) than a choppy 144. (And it's imo wasted money if you cap your games at 60) If you have the hardware to push 144 without sacrificing anything, then by all means go for it!
But while I was using my monitor, I had to sacrifice either overall fidelity, or resolution, to keep the 144hz stable and enjoyable.
bih_
i can't tell the difference.
couldn't afford a 120hz monitor anyway lol
don't want one either.
i should probably upgrade from my current 45hz one tho
atneserureborn
show more