forum

Best mid-price keyboard recommendations for playing osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
enik

Shoily wrote:

I have, and I think I prefer black/blue
Also I couldn't find any threads
t/92602&start=0
http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/?page_id=1458
Kert
As a cheap alternative you can try scissor-type keyboard with slim keys
I haven't tried mechanical stuff, but I can say my slim keyboard (~15$) works pretty good for me o/
Pacemaker

Shoily wrote:

Alpha Kitten wrote:

Black widow
120$+ gee no thanks :cry: though I have heard they are very good
That's the Ultimate version, you can get the normal one for around 80$ (only difference on the Ultimate are lighted keys and a USB + headphone port).
Wishy
Black Widow, and it's great for this game too. I've tried red, black, blue and spring switches and from all those 4 I prefer blue.
Purple
I think i have already recommended this before. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA

I'm not sure what the switches are though. Maybe someone here has one?
enik

Purlpo wrote:

I think i have already recommended this before. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA

You can check it yourself simply removing one of the keycaps, every switch is colored in accordance with its name.
I wanna buy this numeric keypad thing too.
JAKACHAN
So this thing has browns reds and blacks but lacks blues? Unless the top is considered blues.
enik

JAKANYAN wrote:

So this thing has browns reds and blacks but lacks blues? Unless the top is considered blues.
Oh, this one is handmade keypad, you can't buy it actually (and I don't own it). I showed it as an example. And yeah, the top are blues.
Pacemaker

enik wrote:

Wtf bbq, it's like that thing is meant to be used for rhythm games lol
winber1
BLUES SUCKKKKKKKKK.

but if you are going to buy a mech keyboard, (although I don't know how you could do this) it would be helpful if you could test some of the keyboards first. The blue keys have a tactile feedback (meaning you know exactly at what point the key has been pressed) whereas the other ones, like red, don't have this (they are linear, and there is no tactile feedback). I though tactile feedback would be fine and it would help me know when to press the notes. Honestly, no, I got used to it, but I hadn't realized how much it actually sucked until I got a new cherry mx red keyboard, then I realized how much it sucked for me. The blues were also a little too hard to press imo. I would like to have keys that are extremely light and easy to press, and reds are best for that.

Now, obviously, some people prefer blues some reason and others prefer others. It's just something you should really think about if you are going to buy a mech keyboard.

If not, well, there are a few other keyboards that are like in between mech and rubber dome, though I don't really any names, which are obviously much better than your 6 year old keyboard and other average keyboards, but probably not as good as mech keyboards. Kert's suggestion sounds like an ok alternative too.
Frizz

enik wrote:

Purlpo wrote:

You can check it yourself simply removing one of the keycaps, every switch is colored in accordance with its name.
I wanna buy this numeric keypad thing too.
It also has the ever rumoured green and gray switches, oh wow.
I wonder how do they feel.

Also seconding to winber1. I can singletap faster on rubberdomes than on blue switches since the tactility that came with the blue switches slows down my singletap speed. I really should get either reds or blacks in the future.
buny
$20 logitech keyboard
enik

Pacemaker wrote:

enik wrote:

Wtf bbq, it's like that thing is meant to be used for rhythm games lol
Yeah I really wish I could get one. This thing is made to test all mech switches before you buy, a.k.a "Worldwide Switch Try Numpad" and it's traveling over the world (I'm actually next in a queue ^^).
Also I have an idea to try make these keypads myself for the osu! community and if all goes right I'll create a topic like in a month.
threenash
Membrane keyboard
Error
Kert

enik wrote:

Yeah I really wish I could get one. This thing is made to test all mech switches before you buy, a.k.a "Worldwide Switch Try Numpad" and it's traveling over the world (I'm actually next in a queue ^^).
Also I have an idea to try make these keypads myself for the osu! community and if all goes right I'll create a topic like in a month.
That'd be pretty cool. Because full-sized mech keyboard is kind of useless, because only 2 buttons will be used lol
вышлешь мне одну \:D/
Topic Starter
jabberwockey
I'm kind of really used to rubberdomes since they are so easy to press (and have been using them for many years). I never tested a red/brown/green/grey so I don't know how good they are...I really wish there was some way I could test it, like that numpad. I only tested blue and black, but I've never tested blue for osu so I can't say how good it will be for this.

winber1 wrote:

BLUES SUCKKKKKKKKK.

but if you are going to buy a mech keyboard, (although I don't know how you could do this) it would be helpful if you could test some of the keyboards first. The blue keys have a tactile feedback (meaning you know exactly at what point the key has been pressed) whereas the other ones, like red, don't have this (they are linear, and there is no tactile feedback). I though tactile feedback would be fine and it would help me know when to press the notes. Honestly, no, I got used to it, but I hadn't realized how much it actually sucked until I got a new cherry mx red keyboard, then I realized how much it sucked for me. The blues were also a little too hard to press imo. I would like to have keys that are extremely light and easy to press, and reds are best for that.

Now, obviously, some people prefer blues some reason and others prefer others. It's just something you should really think about if you are going to buy a mech keyboard.

If not, well, there are a few other keyboards that are like in between mech and rubber dome, though I don't really any names, which are obviously much better than your 6 year old keyboard and other average keyboards, but probably not as good as mech keyboards. Kert's suggestion sounds like an ok alternative too.
Problem is, I don't really have a way to test them all....gah I guess you need to put a lot of thought into this.Should I go with popular opinion and get a Black Widow?

That's the Ultimate version, you can get the normal one for around 80$ (only difference on the Ultimate are lighted keys and a USB + headphone port).
Really? I might consider them then! Thanks

Kert wrote:

As a cheap alternative you can try scissor-type keyboard with slim keys
I haven't tried mechanical stuff, but I can say my slim keyboard (~15$) works pretty good for me o/
That sounds like a great option for me! Thanks~ As long as it's not wireless
Which brand/model do you use?
And about that "only use 2 keys for osu" thing, this is for everything I do on the PC in general, have I mentioned that my current keyboard can only register 2 keys at once? Since I type quite fast this leads to a lot of typos and it's also pretty bad for gaming in general. :lol:

buny wrote:

$20 logitech keyboard
Is this what you currently use?
Frizz
Popular =/= best

I suggest you to try all of the switches before buying. Seeing you coming from rubberdomes, I'm pretty sure you can get used to linear switches (red/black) much more easily than tactile switches (blue/brown) since most people would just bottom out the switches at the first time they use mechanical keyboards.

The reason why BlackWidow is popular is because it's the cheapest MX Cherry mechanical keyboard you can get anywhere (most MX Cherry mechanical keyboard costs around 100$ or more while BlackWidow is only around 75$).
Kert

Shoily wrote:

That sounds like a great option for me! Thanks~ As long as it's not wireless
Which brand/model do you use?
oklick 555s
I tried laptop keyboard once and realized that it's extremely nice to stream on
After sometime searching for a slim kb with regular button placement + white color I found this one~
Wishy

Frizz wrote:

Popular =/= best

I suggest you to try all of the switches before buying. Seeing you coming from rubberdomes, I'm pretty sure you can get used to linear switches (red/black) much more easily than tactile switches (blue/brown) since most people would just bottom out the switches at the first time they use mechanical keyboards.

The reason why BlackWidow is popular is because it's the cheapest MX Cherry mechanical keyboard you can get anywhere (most MX Cherry mechanical keyboard costs around 100$ or more while BlackWidow is only around 75$).
Blue and Red switches are the lightest you can get, and tactile feedback is good for some players, plus it's cheap (Black Widow). Lighter = better, and yeah all the best players you see around use blue (most of them). Some use black, like Tom69, but as you may know, he taps since his streaming speed by using 2 fingers isn't that fast.

Reds are great too but way more expensive and rare.
buny

Shoily wrote:

buny wrote:

$20 logitech keyboard
Is this what you currently use?
I used to use one but I recently got a mechanical keyboard and I can tell you that the only difference is a few extra keys and a different feel when pressing the keys.

Probably had no effect on my gameplay whatsoever other than a more comfortable way of playing the game for a costy amount.
qlum
the steelseries g6v2 is also a good option, personally find the keys without a tactile bump a lot nicer than the ones on the razer black widow, also steel series has a better rep in terms of build quality than razer. One other thing is that its not a glossy fingerprint magnet which is a huge bonus for me. The last benefit of the Steelseries is that it supports the old non usb connection which makes it possible to recognise an unlimited number of buttons inputs at the same time in contrary to usb which only supports like 5 at the same time or something. Technically the old connection is also faster than usb because it works on a hardware level. Its not needed to use the connection like that but it can be used which is a good thing and most desktops still have the connector. The black widow can only do usb due to its annoying backlight.

Mechanicals are just a lot nicer especially when typing and yes while osu! benefits from it its normal typing work where mechanical keyboards shine the most.
Purple

enik wrote:

Please do
lolcubes

Frizz wrote:

Actually there are cheaper keyboards out there, or much higher quality alternatives (with different switches though) for the same price. Here where I live, 6GV2 (70€~) costs a lot less than a blackwidow (90€~), and recently there has been a new version of 6GV2 with red switches, which is only a little more expensive.
Frizz

lolcubes wrote:

Frizz wrote:

Actually there are cheaper keyboards out there, or much higher quality alternatives (with different switches though) for the same price. Here where I live, 6GV2 (70€~) costs a lot less than a blackwidow (90€~), and recently there has been a new version of 6GV2 with red switches, which is only a little more expensive.
Well 6GV2 costs around 90$ here so idk

qlum wrote:

the steelseries g6v2 is also a good option, personally find the keys without a tactile bump a lot nicer than the ones on the razer black widow, also steel series has a better rep in terms of build quality than razer. One other thing is that its not a glossy fingerprint magnet which is a huge bonus for me. The last benefit of the Steelseries is that it supports the old non usb connection which makes it possible to recognise an unlimited number of buttons inputs at the same time in contrary to usb which only supports like 5 at the same time or something. Technically the old connection is also faster than usb because it works on a hardware level. Its not needed to use the connection like that but it can be used which is a good thing and most desktops still have the connector. The black widow can only do usb due to its annoying backlight.

Mechanicals are just a lot nicer especially when typing and yes while osu! benefits from it its normal typing work where mechanical keyboards shine the most.
It's called PS/2 connector fyi
winber1

Wishy22 wrote:

since his streaming speed by using 2 fingers isn't that fast.
no.

still pretty damn fast.
Topic Starter
jabberwockey

qlum wrote:

Woah sounds magical! I have to check if my desktop still supports the old connection though. Thanks!

lolcubes wrote:

Blackwidows are extremely expensive here, even if it's not the Ultimate version, like $100+, I guess buying online is my only option
And an 6GV2 cost $95 :o
Oh well if they last a long time/is durable and it's super good quality, I'll consider buying one!

Kert wrote:

oklick 555s
I tried laptop keyboard once and realized that it's extremely nice to stream on
After sometime searching for a slim kb with regular button placement + white color I found this one~
Thanks! This is probably one of the best options for me atm

Wishy22 wrote:

Blue and Red switches are the lightest you can get, and tactile feedback is good for some players, plus it's cheap (Black Widow). Lighter = better, and yeah all the best players you see around use blue (most of them). Some use black, like Tom69, but as you may know, he taps since his streaming speed by using 2 fingers isn't that fast.

Reds are great too but way more expensive and rare.
I think Red is best for me, I borrowed my cousin's blue key mechanical keyboard for testing (forgot the brand) and it was very hard for me to get used to.
Tom69 taps? That imo is way harder than using 2 fingers wow talk about pro
buny
Harder to master but results in faster speed
winber1

Shoily wrote:

Tom69 taps? That imo is way harder than using 2 fingers wow talk about pro
He doesn't. You are misunderstanding. He uses keyboard for everything except compressed fast streams (e.g. Mad Machine). He has a video of him playing it with tap/x. He can't stream it with z/x though with that accuracy, but I'm pretty sure he can still stream that fast with z/x.

And tapping is much worse by itself. tap/x mainly best for fast compressed streams if you know how to do it. Using keyboard for everything else is usually much easier.
Wishy
He said he can't.
Sorun
Surprised no one recommended the Cooler master rapid fire (Blue switches)

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-R ... rapid+fire

It has less bad reviews concerning build quality vs the Standard Black widow at the same price point, for $20 or so more you can get red switches or brown switches. I haven't tried it myself, but I have done quite a few Custom gaming rigs and Cooler masters build quality is always good, also the Rapid fire is tenkeyless and a bit more smaller which to me is a good thing since I usually play osu! on the go and the dimensions are perfect to fit with my laptop and books in my bag.
No matter your choice please post the keyboard you get and how you like it, I haven't played in a while because of school and before I started my osu! break I was strongly considering a mech keyboard. I just never got the chance to get one, but now holidays are coming up and I got quite a bit of money to treat myself to a nice keyboard for my return to osu!.
Frizz
I'd totally get CM Storm QuickFire Rapid if they ever come with red switches.
Kert
@Frizz:

Hm?
Frizz
Well last time I checked it they only came with Blue, Brown, and Black.
Sorun
Ordered a Blackwidow with blue switches a few days ago, I might make a thread on it if I feel it's worth mentioning when I get it. OP did you get a mech yet?
PhiLL A
Why is osu! obsessed with Black Widows? Everything Razer (except maybe naga) is hella overpriced, very ricer and cheap build quality. You could get an awesome Filco for that price.
kriers
I was mad at my blackwidow the other day and noticed a dusty filco majestouch tenkeyless redswitch right next to me.
Oh joy!
Sorun

MxG PhiLL wrote:

Why is osu! obsessed with Black Widows? Everything Razer (except maybe naga) is hella overpriced, very ricer and cheap build quality. You could get an awesome Filco for that price.
Blackwidow is only $70 so it's basically the best entry level mech keyboard for blues next to the CM Rapid fire which I was originally going to get, but amazon was out of stock.
PhiLL A
How do you like reds, kriers? I think they might be better for streaming, but Keigo-san and Cookiezi both use blues, so I think I should just stick with blues. And yeah, the CM Rapids are probably better build quality. Rosewills can also be found in that price range and they are pretty good.
Fenek Alfa

MxG PhiLL wrote:

Why is osu! obsessed with Razer
THIS

I've bought a week ago an (A4Tech?) Bloody MulticoreV3 mouse. Similar in shape to the Deathadder, but with higher quality rubber on sides and a Holeless optic sensor.
And it costs 99zł instead of flipping 359zł!
I've set it to 1000DPI @ 1000Hz, and after an hour or so of getting used to it it works just as I want. Just see my rankings rise on my profile.

Back on topic, keyboards are mostly a personal preference. I for example would never buy blues, because they release the key higher than they register it. I'm looking to buying something with browns in near future.
Wishy

MxG PhiLL wrote:

I saw Filco keyboard in Japan and they are way more expensive than a Black Widow.

On Amazon.com:

Same prices on Ebay unless you got for used products + bidding.
show more