forum

Rival System

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Metroid
Popped into my head during IRC chat.

Basically you get a Rival system were you can pick out people to try to beat their top scores and such.
Your wins against them is recorded and you can maybe specify on specific maps
This system would be aiming to encourage trying to get better overall scores on different maps..
Your Takeovers are recorded as
You vs. Them
4------ 3
and maybe even specify the map you're trying to take over..
I could think some achievements like "Top Gun" where you beat 7 rival scores in a row.
Just a idea..
Rolled
there goes all my #1 scores~
Topic Starter
Metroid
The issue that came up in IRC recently is how the points are awarded fairly and how to keep people from abusing the system..

So how do we keep tabs on rival activity between them and keeping it from abuse or affect overall score and/or rank or not..

Also server limitations have been mentioned...So we would have to have a way to lighten the server from a load of data like this. Maybe it's saved to the computer, not the server?

Some stuff I talked with Sinistro about

- Point or the score difference between one and their rivals score is used.
- The 2 scores must be on the same map and difficulty to qualify as rival scores
- Maybe the 2 parties must agree to rivalry before hand..
- People are limited at first on how many rivels one can have, but the list grows with more rival scores beaten or a score amount...
- Sine the rival system is a 2 party agreeable, you must give consent to rivaly and you can end it, that will some negative effect on your score, points or something...
Azure_Kite

Metroid wrote:

you must give consent to rivaly and you can end it, that will some negative effect on your score, points or something...
I was reading the IRC when you were talking about this. Maybe a rival quitter could have some sort of semi permanent effect placed on them, say a 90% max score for how many battles. Maybe this battle thingy could have a different time span depending on their rival points against the other player.

Also, why just first? #2 and #3 spots are still pretty good achievements. Maybe different amounts of points for different ranks?

Personally I think this would add a little more healthy competition in Osu! Then again; I'm still not good enough to get a #1 score ;P Give it time.
ThePassingShadow
I kind of suggested an "Enemy" button earlier similar to friend that is highlighted as red during play mode on the scoreboard. Friends could be highlighted green and personal scores could be blue...
Gemi
Competing with others is always fun, but a rival system with points for taking over a song and what not doesn't seem like a really great system since it's most likely very unbalanced when both players don't have up-to-date scores on all songs. (and most players don't)

Instead, what I would see as a great addition is the possibility to compare your scores against another player. Basically every player profile would have a "compare scores" button. After clicking it you would get a view listing all songs and difficulties that both players have played. This listing would include the scores for both players and the amount by which one player is winning.

Here is the compare system of GrooveStats: http://groovestats.com/?page=compareson ... ord_diablo

Here is the compare system of VJ Army: http://vjarmy.com/iidx/djbattle.php?sty ... 1&user1=95

Both have their pro's and cons. GrooveStats has a list of very nice sorting options and clearly shows both players scores. VJ Army on the other hand shows visually very clearly which player is winning on which song. I personally am very happy with the GS system, but with a small visual tweak it would probably be even better.

I don't know how feasible this is due to the possible strain on the servers, but that's up to peppy.
AceOfArrows
I suggest a separate category: a Rivals list.

Under "Add as a Friend," you would see "Add as a Rival." And of course, if you change your mind, you could move them back and forth anytime you want.

This would also enable a new logon notification category when you log on (those of you who are competitive would enjoy seeing "Your rivals are online: [names]"), and that might help promote multiplayer play.

I would very much like to see this implemented.