forum

Sony PlayStation Vita - General Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ampzz

Despite how ridiculously early it is considering this console isn't due for release (for places outside of Japan) until 2012, I'm just wondering how many other people are looking to purchase this latest hand-held from Sony.
Although some rumours are giving a late, November/December 2010 release date however Sony at present has stated that they will not be able to ship it out in this time frame.

I, for one am looking forward to the additional analogue stick, proper D-Pad and even the included back touch pad on the system's front fascia. It will be interesting to see how the games designed for the system will use these elements and if they get used correctly without feeling like a forced offset that feels gimmicky at best.
Did anyone remember how random the inclusion of Sixaxis was for the game play of Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm or any of the early release PlayStation 3 games?

With the recommended retail price set at AU$249 for the base model with Wi-Fi and AU$299 for the 3G included variant, it seems to have been based on the same price margin the PlayStation Portable was when it came to existence and possibly to do competition with Nintendo's currently released handheld the 3DS.
Or was the PSP slightly more expensive? I forget.

Tech specs for those who care about them:
Technical Specifications
CPU:
ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)

GPU:
SGX543MP4+

Dimensions:
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen:
Touch screen 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED, Multi-touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad:
Multi-touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras:
Front camera, Rear camera
Frame rate : 120fps@320x240(QVGA), 60fps@640x480(VGA)
Resolution : Up to 640x480(VGA)

Sound:
Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone

Sensors:
Sixaxis motion-sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support

Keys/Switches:
PS button, Power button, Dpad, Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons

Wireless communications:
Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Ports:
PlayStation Vita card slot, Memory card slot, SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only), Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In], Serial data communication), Headset jack (Stereo mini jack) (for Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In]), Accessory port

Supported formats:
Music -MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM)
Videos -MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Hi/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)
Photos -JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG
Official site: http://playstation.com/psvita/
It should automatically direct you to your country's variant.

A few of the confirmed games to be released for the PSVita include:
  1. Gravity Daze
  2. Hot Shots Golf
  3. Hustle Kings
  4. Little Deviants
  5. ModNation Racers
  6. Reality Fighter
  7. Super Stardust Delta
  8. Uncharted Golden Abyss
  9. Wipeout 2048
Two of the games in the list I'm anticipating to be good which are: Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048.

Either way, wall of text aside, just discuss about this upcoming handheld.
Sup A Noob
I'm getting the PSV, but only after they release the second edition of it.
Drakari_old
I'm almost certainly getting it, it's got a 4 core CPU!
I personally am interested in Gravity Daze and Bioshock, though that may change if I dislike the feel... That would be the only thing that could turn me off from it, if using the dual analog sticks is very uncomfortable I may get a 3DS instead.
adam2046
Where's Monster Hunter?
Release day 1, instant bajillion units sold in Japan.
Rantai
Until I see a Valkyria Chronicles title I probably won't buy one.
awp
homebrew + ps2 emulation and I'm sold
raxar
Will not buy it since there is no title that interest me atm..
and I think the size of PSV is not portable anymore(IIRC) :(
adam2046

raxar wrote:

Will not buy it since there is no title that interest me atm..
and I think the size of PSV is not portable anymore(IIRC) :(
It's barely larger than the PSP. The only real problem with portability would be the analogue sticks.
mm201
I couldn't help but notice it has an OLED screen. The last one of those I saw (also an offering from Sony) looked atrocious, with a 60Hz strobe. I don't see the rear touchpad being useful for anything. Dual analog control needs a bunch of shoulder buttons to work right, so I don't see it making a major difference.
awp

mm201 wrote:

Dual analog control needs a bunch of shoulder buttons to work right
mm201
Doesn't really need the second stick.

I want Katamari for the 3DS. Like they do with the depth of field, they could adjust the parallax to match the scale of your katamari, and it would be epic.
awp

mm201 wrote:

Doesn't really need the second stick.
that is blasphemy but oh god yes We ♥ 3D Katamari
Topic Starter
ampzz
The amount of PSP games that were ruined due to the lack of a second thumb stick was pretty amazing.. especially some of the racing genre titles ad even action games on it, The 3rd Birthday for example could have been even more enjoyable if the second stick was there.

Of course this is just my biased opinion from someone who has played PlayStation games from the console's inauguration back with the original grey Sony PlayStation, then the introduction of the dual-shock which meant I could never go back to not having a second stick.

I don't see how having the second stick necessitates a need for the L2/R2 buttons to be included as well.

But of course, this is my opinionated view on the subject.
adam2046

ampzz wrote:

The amount of PSP games that were ruined due to the lack of a second thumb stick was pretty amazing

I can't wait until I develop severe arthritis from playing Monster Hunter.
Azure_Kite

adam2046 wrote:

I can't wait until I develop severe arthritis from playing Monster Hunter.
Quaraezha
Street Fighter x Tekken
awp

ampzz wrote:

I don't see how having the second stick necessitates a need for the L2/R2 buttons to be included as well.
Each thumb has access to four buttons. Using one joystick, you can still press the face buttons (4) and shoulder buttons (2). That's 6 buttons.

Now, if you're using dual analog, you only have the shoulder buttons (2). That's 2 buttons. Many games that use two sticks make use of multiple actions through the shoulder buttons. A couple examples off the top of my head: (Primary fire, Secondary Fire, Dash, Action), (Cycle Left, Cycle Right, Use, Jump/Roll)

It's like trying to play any modern FPS with only WASD and a 2 button mouse. And, say, the numpad is there - you can use it, but it's hard to go from the mouse to the numpad and back
adam2046
I want to see if developers can implement the back touchpad seamlessly into gameplay. I'm not sure about its usefulness but hopefully it will be comfortable and actually useful.
[YllwRice]
So, there's this list of leaked VITA games released by an anonymous source.
Who knows if it's true or not.....
Arghhhnold

awp wrote:

ampzz wrote:

Each thumb has access to four buttons. Using one joystick, you can still press the face buttons (4) and shoulder buttons (2). That's 6 buttons.

Now, if you're using dual analog, you only have the shoulder buttons (2). That's 2 buttons. Many games that use two sticks make use of multiple actions through the shoulder buttons. A couple examples off the top of my head: (Primary fire, Secondary Fire, Dash, Action), (Cycle Left, Cycle Right, Use, Jump/Roll)

It's like trying to play any modern FPS with only WASD and a 2 button mouse. And, say, the numpad is there - you can use it, but it's hard to go from the mouse to the numpad and back
Probably could easily make the back touch section a giant L2 and R2 button.
Im looking forward to this though. Was thinking of getting a tablet until i realised all i wanted it for was to be able to play games so waiting for the vita =D
[YllwRice]
Topic Starter
ampzz

Pierate wrote:

Whoever wants the specs.
Already had the specifications for this in the opening post.
Behon
I just might try and get one on launch day if LittleBigPlanet is a launch title. That photo feature and the touch screen being implemented have me mighty excited.

B33taku
Drakari_old
I can't find anywhere to try Vita games at PAX... Disappointment.
CapnDavid
It looks cool, but I'll pass.
show more