forum

hey all!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dragon490x
new CTB player here. made my account yesterday and played all day, and still playing it today. i've tried osu a little bit in the past, and it never clicked with me. but lately i've been seeking a game to really get into, and with limited options on a low-end linux computer, i tried osu again.

i had some frustration trying to play the different modes having a pretty high latency setup, not being able to seperately change video and audio delay. if i set the delay to make my inputs on time, it looks REALLY off and it's very difficult to play. i've been playing 4 key rhythm games (stepmania, etterna, DDR) for a while, so i was more looking forward to playing mania here, but with the poor latency i just can't manage it. i also don't really enjoy the core osu gamemode, it doesn't interest me much. i like taiko, but i find it extremely difficult to read the incoming notes, it's like my eyes get twisted between the colors. catch the beat is the last thing i'd expect to enjoy, as its not as much of a rhythm game as the others, but that's what makes it work for me. because i don't necessarily need to press keys on time, the problems i have with my setup don't matter.

after i mucked around for a bit, i made an account to download songs, and it really started to click. CTB is very precise, it's really hard to move well even in simple songs. but that's what makes it fun. it feels really good to pull off tight movement and good boosts. i had a lot of fun learning the ropes and figuring it out. the points progression system is great, and i genuinely look forward to playing more and improving.

i do enjoy CTB and plan on continuing to play it, but i hope at some point there will be the settings for me to be able to enjoy the other modes as well. regardless, i'm happy to be here.
Wimpy Cursed
Welcome to the game and forum pages.

What client are you playing on by the way? Haven't noticed latency on mania for awhile now, so I am curious if it might be a client issue. Or maybe it is your device? Which may mean that you would have to play on (number)+ offset.
Topic Starter
dragon490x

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

Welcome to the game and forum pages.

What client are you playing on by the way? Haven't noticed latency on mania for awhile now, so I am curious if it might be a client issue. Or maybe it is your device? Which may mean that you would have to play on (number)+ offset.
thank you

i'm using lazar, since it has linux support. i don't know if the other does, since the site doesn't seem to have a linux download for it. i'm playing with OpenGL, multithreaded, exclusive fullscreen, 8x refresh rate on a 60 hz monitor. neither my monitor or headset have any noticeable delay, but in certain games i do. it's often because of the refresh rate of the game. i've found that in games where i experience input delay, setting the framerate to 59 will fix it completely, or anything that's below my monitor's refresh rate. it makes games feel super responsive. but it seems i can't do that here with the ingame options, so i'm not sure what that would do in this case. i don't know if it'd be acceptable to use a third party frame limiter, so i don't intend on trying it unless it's okay. hopefully though in the future, there are more framerate options.

anyway, when i use the audio offset setting found ingame, it really messes up the visual latency. this is because the audio offset setting is both audio and visual offset, and if i have one or the other at a good offset, the other will be completely messed up. it's really hard to play either way, either i have to forget about the beat, or i have to forget about the hit line, so i haven't bothered. if the audio and visual offsets were 2 different settings, it would be great.