forum

Is there anyone relearning osu taiko?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
XShiniki
I started to play osu again recently, specifically osu taiko. In the past, I used to play taiko using my right hand, but I hand rely on it too much. I only alternate or use me left fingers when I need to. But that turns out to be quite a bad idea because I think I'm not using both of my hands to get the most out of playing taiko. So I'm just asking to see if there's anyone going through this like me. If you're out there, you're not alone. 😊

TLDR: I'm just want to know if there's anyone practicing using both hands instead of relying on your dominant hand when playing taiko. If there is, keep going man. =D
I AM VERY SMART
Honestly I want to learn osu!taiko because it's the game mode where I'm at my worst

I like to play with BBRR instead of the usual BRRB
EnigmaticG
Hi. I'm not going through this anymore, but I did about a year ago. I was playing ddkk and was stuck at 4 stars because the long monostreams were too much for me. I relearned the entire game with kddk full alternating and surpassed my old limits with ddkk. The process of learning how to read in taiko is slow at first, but if you're patient and keep playing up to the slow onis you will eventually make a breakthrough and be able to alternate without thinking.

I recommend you play very slow onis (also inner onis if the star rating is low enough + the bpm is low enough) and focus on alternating. It will be tough to fix old habits but if you keep going and slowly increase the bpm when you get comfortable playing the lower bpm, you'll be able to play 4* onis well. Then when you get to low 5* maps, you'll start to see long streams and run into another skill wall, which I'm at now.
_mp1506

XShiniki wrote:

I started to play osu again recently, specifically osu taiko. In the past, I used to play taiko using my right hand, but I hand rely on it too much. I only alternate or use me left fingers when I need to. But that turns out to be quite a bad idea because I think I'm not using both of my hands to get the most out of playing taiko. So I'm just asking to see if there's anyone going through this like me. If you're out there, you're not alone. 😊

TLDR: I'm just want to know if there's anyone practicing using both hands instead of relying on your dominant hand when playing taiko. If there is, keep going man. =D
Actually... I used to do full-right no alt. Back then I switched to full-alt. Maybe it was around when I'm still doing Night of Nights [Hard] convert diff with few 1/4 dons. Downgraded myself from 180 to 130 BPM just to learn this full-alt playstyle and tbh it's quite the hard playstyle. Seems simple but actually quite complex. I returned to 180 within a month or a bit more, but with full-alt and better patterning ofc.

I believe there are 3 general options.. Not rolls.
1. You start alt-ing on 1/2 snaps.
2. You learn full-alt.
3. Crosstap playstyle.

Note: What I would write below might be kind of biased, because I'm a full-alt player.

I assume 'I used to play taiko using my right hand' indicates you're a right-dominant player just like me. But, if you are to learn full-alt playstyle I would suggest that you do the dominant-left instead of right.

What I meant is you can imagine the first note you hit usually begins with right correct? and after every spinners and bignotes you start right too because you're right dominant. This time, you start the play with left. It should better-balance out your right-left hand. There's a catch though. Rule is not absolute. Some people play better with semi-alt playstyle instead of full-alt and I think there would be more stability into it. So when I suggest you to left-full-alt, there's a chance that you're actually more talented using the right basis.

What's important is to stick with your playstyle and nurture it. So, decide on one.

Good luck.

*** OOOH RIGHT I just read what EnigmaticG said about slow maps. It works like a charm.
Topic Starter
XShiniki

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Honestly I want to learn osu!taiko because it's the game mode where I'm at my worst

I like to play with BBRR instead of the usual BRRB

EnigmaticG wrote:

Hi. I'm not going through this anymore, but I did about a year ago. I was playing ddkk and was stuck at 4 stars because the long monostreams were too much for me. I relearned the entire game with kddk full alternating and surpassed my old limits with ddkk. The process of learning how to read in taiko is slow at first, but if you're patient and keep playing up to the slow onis you will eventually make a breakthrough and be able to alternate without thinking.

I recommend you play very slow onis (also inner onis if the star rating is low enough + the bpm is low enough) and focus on alternating. It will be tough to fix old habits but if you keep going and slowly increase the bpm when you get comfortable playing the lower bpm, you'll be able to play 4* onis well. Then when you get to low 5* maps, you'll start to see long streams and run into another skill wall, which I'm at now.

_mp1506 wrote:

XShiniki wrote:

Actually... I used to do full-right no alt. Back then I switched to full-alt. Maybe it was around when I'm still doing Night of Nights [Hard] convert diff with few 1/4 dons. Downgraded myself from 180 to 130 BPM just to learn this full-alt playstyle and tbh it's quite the hard playstyle. Seems simple but actually quite complex. I returned to 180 within a month or a bit more, but with full-alt and better patterning ofc.

I believe there are 3 general options.. Not rolls.
1. You start alt-ing on 1/2 snaps.
2. You learn full-alt.
3. Crosstap playstyle.

Note: What I would write below might be kind of biased, because I'm a full-alt player.

I assume 'I used to play taiko using my right hand' indicates you're a right-dominant player just like me. But, if you are to learn full-alt playstyle I would suggest that you do the dominant-left instead of right.

What I meant is you can imagine the first note you hit usually begins with right correct? and after every spinners and bignotes you start right too because you're right dominant. This time, you start the play with left. It should better-balance out your right-left hand. There's a catch though. Rule is not absolute. Some people play better with semi-alt playstyle instead of full-alt and I think there would be more stability into it. So when I suggest you to left-full-alt, there's a chance that you're actually more talented using the right basis.

What's important is to stick with your playstyle and nurture it. So, decide on one.

Good luck.

*** OOOH RIGHT I just read what EnigmaticG said about slow maps. It works like a charm.

Thank you very much guys!