forum

[Archived] Accessing files on linux when installed on windows

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
King Of Tsubaki
Problem details:
I run Linux and Windows on 1 device that share a 500gb nvme not a VM

I have base Debian installed and i can get lazer running. I have my drives mounted so that i can access them, however osu does not want open the "shared" drive as i call it. I can open the disk without root permissions and make edits do all i need to basically so i don't see why osu cant do the same i have given lazer the sudo group (with read and write permissions, there is not an option to give it more otherwise i would try) but unsure what else i can do to get it to open up the disk and grab files. I don't want to duplicate the files since waste of space and could possibly cause problems or get banned from it

Osu has said it has notified the devs but if i can pull a file from somewhere lmk and i will do my best to track it down and upload it or something.

osu!lazer
Utsushime
Heya, 

osu!  lazer imports beatmaps using a feature called hard links, which essentially functions like a shortcut without needing to copy files. Unfortunately, hard links don't work between different partitions, volumes, or drives.

On that note, osu doesn't require sudo permissions. Please refrain from giving random apps, including osu, arbitary permissions, as it could lead to disastrous consequences.
Topic Starter
King Of Tsubaki
Then how come I have osu and Lazer on 2 diffrent drives but they still read on windows? Only thing that is not consistent is scores that are shown but that's usually local I think
I have 3 drives in total

I have fresh windows and linux install so im not worried about 5 minutes of sudden perms for osu literally nothing to steal.
chromb
i think two copies of all of the files is the easiest thing to do. No real reason not to other than space.

You're doing something weird, which (especially involving linux) means you're likely on your own with this one.
Topic Starter
King Of Tsubaki
Would be easiest but trying too see what my options are really if any. I want to install a song once and have it everywhere and I don't have external storage set up as of yet.
sineplusx
Can you post the error message you are encountering from the logs? This kind of setup should be possible. What method are you using to point the Debian lazer install to the "Shared" drive?