forum

[Archived] osu! Crashes or gets stuck loading when opening beatmaps with video

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Doomsday is Bad
Whenever I load a map (with video enabled) I will either hard crash to desktop with no crash message or just infinite load (alt+f4 frees me). For example the tom and jerry loved map hard crashed osu twice in a row. This also happens when loading the video in the editor.

I suspect this is something not to do with osu as this doesn't happen for everyone. I'm running Windows 11 and suspect it's something to do with video codecs or something not agreeing with osu.

If anyone has encountered this before, how did you fix it?

osu! version: Beta 20230727.8 (happens on stable and cutting edge)
Blushing
Well, can you check to see if this happens with the default skin, if you haven't already?

Have you checked the event viewer for a crash log when you say there are no crash messages being made?

If not, please use the link below to navigate to the event viewer and see if there is one.

wiki/en/Help_centre#event-viewer
Topic Starter
Doomsday is Bad
That's crazy, never thought it would be a skin issue, Default skin = no crash (I'm using BTMC's FD skin)

The crash details

Application: osu!.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at dje_zWRWWLNH9QQ97QFVPY8ABDDQ2FE28EUGWY24VU9JDDVFWBD2_ejd.#=zB3sVsj2XrpWXPBzRBg==(IntPtr)
at #=zVRXMsEhbVWV49dBG_0Yzdr_u$lzeyvjtQA==.#=zY1ggY80=(Boolean)
at #=zf_g0243k2_Ee_4t5f88MBNcmH3Lt6GA7pA==.#=zY1ggY80=(Boolean)
at #=zf_g0243k2_Ee_4t5f88MBNcmH3Lt6GA7pA==.Finalize()

yesterdays crash has more info?
at dje_zWPARDZUPZZ8WEP2QPNBUNC8GDYZ6SJTR4WR8SWV3PHX9YGQ_ejd.#=zQQmKCk$8v_q0qj6VjQ==(IntPtr ByRef, System.String, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr)
at #=zEoAx4C3$$OAuxFwEgQHf6oIyE_Bq3wfQYg==.#=zzxnGN4E=(Byte[])
at #=zQlRliw_vR7tbrzhWfK8vPkkRENDxqBS2aQ==..ctor(System.String, #=z$vOf2p8599lGsXNBl4YORi015K3$JkTbCQ==, #=zC7t2vKk5D3pqjmnt8$AtyJY7ef87bOxakw==)
at #=zUgPnLZbtdFkEnqg_Z$iyWr04UXmM..ctor(System.String, #=z$vOf2p8599lGsXNBl4YORi015K3$JkTbCQ==, #=zC7t2vKk5D3pqjmnt8$AtyJY7ef87bOxakw==, Int32)
at #=z8bqO2L1jcMM9V_jvCmChQfemFOGF.#=zXw9noWg=(System.String, Int32)
at #=zo$0WnY_PDO30RyZnCkE1$uNMx_mB.#=zN74Q3Ig=(osu.GameplayElements.FileSection, Boolean, Boolean)
at #=zo$0WnY_PDO30RyZnCkE1$uNMx_mB.#=zAR6$PJY=(Boolean, Boolean)
at #=z9x4BNAFsAyS6Ijh9zDWJWwX8KFBI.#=zSy5d_sLYs_XQ()
at #=z853BQtAwvEBVxT0v8f$8tlE=.#=z6XGS7to=()
at #=zXU4zKBMe8bBkVEcX4Q==+#=zlyLWOrGqJSpM1kt_x8Vxsmg=.#=zPWZYakCN3V8goAX$oWcEMAw=()
at #=zPxVyhFcHrxvrk4RPGsk4zazB42t6+#=zS$8CxwC4J8pVdL3eIg2V2lg=.#=zTlrtTugUhrm7Ass_Vg==(System.Object)
at #=zEDiZcyY7lJhBDq738YxxPDE=.#=zrs9xNzvslJRD()
at #=zEDiZcyY7lJhBDq738YxxPDE=.#=zYhp914Q=()
at #=zKExB_fHGwB1lXFhgyX5ewcY=.#=zrs9xNzvslJRD(#=zEDiZcyY7lJhBDq738YxxPDE=)
at #=zKExB_fHGwB1lXFhgyX5ewcY=.#=zzvqduxJQmGF8()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

any way of making it work with the skin i use?

EDIT - nevermind, crashed with default on 2nd try

details for that

default skin crash
at dje_zWRWWLNH9QQ97QFVPY8ABDDQ2FE28EUGWY24VU9JDDVFWBD2_ejd.#=zSHuAOXI7$kTVbpRUKQ==(IntPtr ByRef, System.String, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr)
at #=zVRXMsEhbVWV49dBG_0Yzdr_u$lzeyvjtQA==.#=zvuMGtDg=(Byte[])
at #=zf_g0243k2_Ee_4t5f88MBNcmH3Lt6GA7pA==..ctor(System.String, #=zjaTSaQaHAO0KK3KD$RjRua1lfX8tgu8zdA==, #=zSQWje7s3XEungBvjMjbQzDTLAqy3R4_ZtQ==)
at #=z6cnqua0Sa$TDG1wd7IFlw$Z0qq1D..ctor(System.String, #=zjaTSaQaHAO0KK3KD$RjRua1lfX8tgu8zdA==, #=zSQWje7s3XEungBvjMjbQzDTLAqy3R4_ZtQ==, Int32)
at #=zpEKKEg$B$3vU3HevLKKswrNXozmF.#=zJUQX5Y4=(System.String, Int32)
at #=zFokxqgOMog0HPWSpquVBKwDPe6N8.#=zFox8erk=(osu.GameplayElements.FileSection, Boolean, Boolean)
at #=zFokxqgOMog0HPWSpquVBKwDPe6N8.#=zZgH6gss=(Boolean, Boolean)
at #=zBVOUWUoAuMY92c4jhMnmMdohugX1.#=zc1ieFefWON1I()
at #=zz5xqR$CJAxMID_nJR$DpBoY=.#=z0R2gk0Y=()
at #=zm6VPhZOOuFJllBS_MQ==+#=zNqAbfoDftH85FUFR8Rbgvsc=.#=zIqESTBfW8wfXF8e316s9UOQ=()
at #=zoji9htS2s$DazadxX5laiZkzzMky+#=zB4belPn$UvvOGyW0WTnGuKQ=.#=zTtsK2tq2zvE84BfXBg==(System.Object)
at #=zYp2KFauJLJAHQIQ60uIAOQk=.#=zY0k4ZRj3yl1c()
at #=zYp2KFauJLJAHQIQ60uIAOQk=.#=zTzal2Tw=()
at #=z_2ILQTEUew6tIyS2XSmfWkA=.#=zY0k4ZRj3yl1c(#=zYp2KFauJLJAHQIQ60uIAOQk=)
at #=z_2ILQTEUew6tIyS2XSmfWkA=.#=zzYxxZ_5kabJC()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

think the good thing here is the error is exactly the same almost
Blushing
Do you have any pending OS updates? Have you tried restarting your computer since this has begun? If not then please try to update and restart your computer.

if not then it might be something to do with your framework or graphics drivers.

Can you also try doing it on a ranked map instead of a loved map. Sometimes loved maps have some weird gimmicks that aren't representative of the ranked section or can purposefully test computers/systems and it might just be the map itself rather than your system.
Topic Starter
Doomsday is Bad
doubt its gpu, i'm not the only person asked in doomsday's discord and a few replied with same issue, every video crashes my game.

drivers are up to date, os is up to date and no pending. this has been an issue for months but now has got annoying enough to report
Blushing
Well... one obvious solution is to not download videod maps. If they are currently causing a problem then I'd expect more reports of this on the forums, but since you and maybe a few others have brought it up, Im assumings its something within your system.

If you are doubtful its your graphics drivers then I can give some links to see if there is anything needing to be repaired.
Try to attempt a SFC Check to see if there is something going on.

Or you can try repairing your .NET version to see if that works:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135
Topic Starter
Doomsday is Bad
just doubtful on drivers and anything to do with a pc as this is happening across multiple pcs (this is also a fresh install of win11, 2-3 months old)

I'll do the .net repair though cus that one likes to implode the most out of the options

Edit - Still crashing

My friend has managed to get his crash log now, which seems the same/similar to mine, the one thing we have in common is our beatmap library is massive (100k+)

friend's crash
at dje_z77NY854RGBWRTT6A3X9HYNXRT5SZPLAF7DZRTAKJB7YZ9D2_ejd.#=zNunapBjNF5YqGsUodA==(IntPtr ByRef, System.String, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr)
at #=zdyFi9wbyKL2T9t1a_JqJ1AWO_7byMd_nLg==.#=zh1vBCpU=(Byte[])
at #=zWhzd48OkT0JgMyHVgodrtllkpO91dRuSJw==..ctor(System.String, #=zZHXliqKWQDoIXPjcIl$srYGwDb1kJKybhg==, #=zdjh0w$_mEsOrtLkCqE6v2XTwIcu3M7yhhg==)
at #=zShh$LtF_V1364grxRL1sZe5ttlTc..ctor(System.String, #=zZHXliqKWQDoIXPjcIl$srYGwDb1kJKybhg==, #=zdjh0w$_mEsOrtLkCqE6v2XTwIcu3M7yhhg==, Int32)
at #=z3DkCK6w4E9$OabkvjZsJakzscR0X.#=zXqWZLog=(System.String, Int32)
at #=z2KMp9kMI8mE_sDpcTGFuno0qdxG5.#=zI5cQCPk=(osu.GameplayElements.FileSection, Boolean, Boolean)
at #=z2KMp9kMI8mE_sDpcTGFuno0qdxG5.#=zosD1pWI=(Boolean, Boolean)
at #=z2Rh_QLpeZiKr6uKtY2a7JzS9zVCt.#=zgoDPyu5orvmV()
at #=zu8mHGie6OVddlhYuVwxwLqU=.#=zKGWBzXw=()
at #=z9zddJQ7zE2lE6ZLR2Q==+#=ztaaucWZ1HPaaJHg_893EdIE=.#=zdJyITbDJOn4LQqQ_1T88tQU=()
at #=zDZgYt5J9v8jmd5qNomA3opvIzyx9+#=zpA3zg1TWOcz7EBnyQ5ccPv0=.#=z1x12vwKBE4ZvEgv1GQ==(System.Object)
at #=zSybdSvp3cODmnJp4BpUPUZM=.#=zMKMCQnR$u4b_()
at #=zSybdSvp3cODmnJp4BpUPUZM=.#=zvwdc2Qk=()
at #=zj4bLFcREURpR9z9RffpkXJM=.#=zMKMCQnR$u4b_(#=zSybdSvp3cODmnJp4BpUPUZM=)
at #=zj4bLFcREURpR9z9RffpkXJM=.#=zZhFAg4OOapwN()
Lefafel
I've been having this same issue for roughly a year now I think, gradually gotten worse. I'm the friend whose crash report OP posted in the above message.

In my case, it is never the first map with a video that I try to play but the second one that causes either the infinite loading or an instant crash. More recently it's often the crash, while previously it was mostly the infinite loading that happened.

I run osu! on an up to date win10, relevant drivers are all up to date.
mmi
I can also vouch for ranked maps, the infinite loading has been prevelent in multiple installs across multiple computers. I do recall that when its stuck in infinite loading, the option to disable the video is greyed out, as if the map that has a video does not. another thing i recall is that it doesnt happen with the same maps, sometimes restarting the game fixes this issue but it can be incredibly annyoying to have to do this, also due to the nature of it not crashing the game, i dont have any crash logs.
- Marco -
I honestly don't know if it's a bug but if you can successfully replicate it enough to be described on a github issue, please report it on osu-stable-issues so devs can fix it.
chromb
not a fix per se, but if you alt+f4 the game kicks you back to song select and you can disable bg video from the settings there.
Topic Starter
Doomsday is Bad
used to inf load but now i just hard crash now so F
- Marco -
Weird, i've tried playing video beatmaps but i'm not able to replicate it, will try tomorrow when i have more time to do it. Also did you notice if it happened on the last update or it also happened on older updates? Does it happen in beta and/or cutting edge?
Topic Starter
Doomsday is Bad
Happens across all osu builds.

- Marco - wrote:

I honestly don't know if it's a bug but if you can successfully replicate it enough to be described on a github issue, please report it on osu-stable-issues so devs can fix it.
Won't do this as I don't think its in the criteria for a report here (small amount affected and can be bypassed by just turning the feature off). Might just @ppy on twitter and see where he directs me, but currently moving house so might forget L
Pilgrimm
This has been happening to me. I definitely think it has something to do with the massive library of beatmaps. Started happening with the infinite loading the bigger my library got, and now it's to the point where it almost always crashes whenever it's a song with a video. Glad to see I'm not the only one though, it's been driving me nuts. A bit disappointing that I can no longer play songs with the video and have to leave it disable.

EDIT: It also seems like when I crash it corrupts the beatmap. Not sure if this always happens, but that was the case in the test I just did with a brand new beatmap.
Rozemyne
I have also been experiencing this for over a year. I never used videos in the first place, but since in the editor the toggle for viewing videos and storyboards is the same, sometimes I will turn that on to see a storyboard then forget and crash the next time I open a map with a video in the editor.