forum

[Archived] Osu folder filled with duplicate? files

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lunarinqs
Problem details:
I was playing a couple of hours ago and had added a beatmap to a collection and closed the game. When i went to play now it wasnt there and the score i had set also dissapeared from the local leaderboard. Then i decided to check my osu folder, and saw a lot of files that had similar names. Also ran repair osu! and that didnt do anything.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20240123 (latest)
Blushing
These happen when the game cannot process the current db or cfg values, or when something causes a reversion in them.

If you are experiencing crashes, the game closing without it crashing (i.e. turning of your system without letting it turn off the programs naturally) then it can generate those.

You can delete the ones with the numbers on them as long as the most recent db file and cfg is the settings/ database you want to use.
Topic Starter
Lunarinqs

Blushing wrote:

These happen when the game cannot process the current db or cfg values, or when something causes a reversion in them.

If you are experiencing crashes, the game closing without it crashing (i.e. turning of your system without letting it turn off the programs naturally) then it can generate those.

You can delete the ones with the numbers on them as long as the most recent db file and cfg is the settings/ database you want to use.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

The game runs perfect, its just that when i close the game my local scores get reset and when i check the osu folder after closing the game the files with numbers come back.

Im going to try running the game as admin maybe it will help.

edit: It did help, dont know what couldve caused it. Maybe something to do with game not being able to write to the old file without admin privileges, so it just created new settings/db files to use.
Jason X

Lunarinqs wrote:

Maybe something to do with game not being able to write to the old file without admin privileges, so it just created new settings/db files to use.
You can easely check for that, simply mark the files, right click and select properties, if "read only" is enabled just disable that option, and the game should be able to write again.

Regarding your local scores resetting (not being saved), those are stored in the scores.db, so also check that one.

If all of those are "read only", I'd suggest you disable that option for the latest version of those files (the mopst recent one), as Blushing has suggested above.
Topic Starter
Lunarinqs

Jason X wrote:

If all of those are "read only", I'd suggest you disable that option for the latest version of those files (the mopst recent one), as Blushing has suggested above.
The .db files are not read only. I have resorted to just running game as admin for now, as a temporary fix.