forum

Lazer changing monitor refresh rate [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WhyNotFans
Problem details:
I have a 75hz monitor. When i go into window's settings and change the refresh rate to 75 and then open the game as FULLSCREEN, lazer changes my display to 59.94hz. Now i firstly thought it was a glitch but i verified that the game indeed runs at 60hz by feel, by turning on vsync and seeing my frames being capped at 60fps and by alt-tabbing back to windows settings and seeing the refresh rate at 59.94hz. However, opening the game as windowed or borderless didnt change the refresh rate to 60hz,instead it stayed at 75hz and vsync correctly displayed 75fps. (This is all shown in the video link below). Ive tried just about everything, from going into my gpu driver settings and changing everything and testing, closing and opening the game / restarting my computer, looking in the game directory for any config file i could find that would contain anything related to refresh rate (which was futile since lazer has this weird ass encoding/filesorting system where you cant really tell what is what). Also just in case anyone asks this problem just appeared earlier today and i have a radeon rx 560 gpu and a ryzen 9 5950x cpu, using windows 11 pro (version: 23H2, OS Build: 22631.3296). The only thing left for me to do is reinstall the game or windows 11 which is something i dont want to do since i have around 150gb worth of maps and plays i'd like to keep.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: https://youtu.be/0Hq7TDsTNnI

osu! version: Latest lazer for 16th march 2024

SOLUTION: Turns out just changing the renderer from OpenGL to Direct3d 11 fixed the issue. Now the game runs at fullscreen at 75hz as it should.
I AM VERY SMART
but why don't you just change your frame limiter to "basically unlimited"?
Topic Starter
WhyNotFans

Anaxii wrote:

but why don't you just change your frame limiter to "basically unlimited"?
Changing the fps to "basically unlimited" doesn't change the refresh rate. Sure it does help a bit but I can still feel a significant difference in gameplay, specifically the cursor trail is more snappy and looks like it's moving at 3 fps.