forum

[Archived] Random Lag Spikes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nezutzke
Problem details:
either using ultimate or optimal it lag spikes to 20ms for now reason
and randomly too when I play a map, I have a pretty good device to run OSU!
yet I get lag spikes out of nowhere
please help me fix this i really wanna play OSU! like how I play before.

Edit - I also play other games that are "MORE" heavy than OSU! and they wont stutter or lag spike like OSU! I don't know how to fix this i already tried everything the only option for me now is to do something to my device physically, all of the tutorials i've watch didn't help at all

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://streamable.com/fkhbi1

osu! version: Stable 20240123 (latest)
Hyerark
If you haven't tried this out, check this:
1. Run osu
2. open task manager (shift + control + esc)
3. right click osu (in the task manager) and click 'expand'
4. right click osu again an click 'set priority' an then choose 'high'

On the top of this in the task manager, you can click in the top rightern corner 'processes' and check if anything is taking the first place in the 'CPU' tab after you click it once, and shut it down by right click it and clicking 'end task'

At least these helped me so give it a try and have fun playing osu!
Topic Starter
nezutzke

Hyerark wrote:

If you haven't tried this out, check this:
1. Run osu
2. open task manager (shift + control + esc)
3. right click osu (in the task manager) and click 'expand'
4. right click osu again an click 'set priority' an then choose 'high'

On the top of this in the task manager, you can click in the top rightern corner 'processes' and check if anything is taking the first place in the 'CPU' tab after you click it once, and shut it down by right click it and clicking 'end task'

At least these helped me so give it a try and have fun playing osu!
apparently I already have that set and about the CPU tab your talking about is the system it self so i cant shut it down and it wont work but thanks for the help
Hyerark
Do you experience this lagging while playing other than osu?

If you are experiencing lag spikes in other games as well, you should check your internet speed online or through your ISP. If you are getting the right amount of speed without packet loss, this may raise the issue with your router connection.

If you are not directly connected to the router and you are using a Wi-Fi connection, you can also check other devices that are connected to the router and check who is getting most of the bandwidth. This issue can arise from other devices using streaming platforms and also downloading which eats up all the bandwidth for a brief time.

There are some cases where your hardware connection is not up-to-date and they may cause some connection issues. It is best to regularly update your drivers especially your operating system whenever there is an update readily available.

(Also you should enable fps counter in-game osu!)

Check for Background Processes: Even though you've already checked task manager, make sure to look for any background processes that might be consuming resources intermittently. Sometimes, it might be a background update or a service causing the spikes. You can also use tools like Process Explorer or wireshark to get a more detailed view of running processes.

Thermal Issues: If your device experiencing high temperatures whike playing, it could be a sign of thermal throttling, where the CPU and GPU reduce performance to prevent damage. Ensure that the laptop's ot pc's vents and fans are not blocked by dust, and that the laptop is on a flat, hard surface to allow for proper airflow.
(If you're using laptop) You can also try using a laptop cooling pad. If your thermal grease has dried up, you may need to consider disassembling the back cover of the laptop to replace the thermal grease to obtain good heat dissipation.

Power Plan: Ensure that your power plan is set to High Performance. Sometimes, the default power-saving settings can limit the CPU's performance. By the way, you can try to redeploy the current power plan, Press and hold Windows+S, search for CMD, right-click to run the command prompt as an administrator, the following are the power modes corresponding to several power plans:

High performance:

powercfg -s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Ultra performance:

powercfg -s e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

(For laptop) BIOS Settings: Check your BIOS settings for any fan control options. Some laptops have settings that control fan behavior based on temperature thresholds. Make sure it's set to a mode that allows for higher fan speeds during gaming.

These may reduce lags caused by too high cpu usage.

If the problem is still on going, then I have no ide what's going on.
Topic Starter
nezutzke

Hyerark wrote:

Do you experience this lagging while playing other than osu?

If you are experiencing lag spikes in other games as well, you should check your internet speed online or through your ISP. If you are getting the right amount of speed without packet loss, this may raise the issue with your router connection.

If you are not directly connected to the router and you are using a Wi-Fi connection, you can also check other devices that are connected to the router and check who is getting most of the bandwidth. This issue can arise from other devices using streaming platforms and also downloading which eats up all the bandwidth for a brief time.

There are some cases where your hardware connection is not up-to-date and they may cause some connection issues. It is best to regularly update your drivers especially your operating system whenever there is an update readily available.

(Also you should enable fps counter in-game osu!)

Check for Background Processes: Even though you've already checked task manager, make sure to look for any background processes that might be consuming resources intermittently. Sometimes, it might be a background update or a service causing the spikes. You can also use tools like Process Explorer or wireshark to get a more detailed view of running processes.

Thermal Issues: If your device experiencing high temperatures whike playing, it could be a sign of thermal throttling, where the CPU and GPU reduce performance to prevent damage. Ensure that the laptop's ot pc's vents and fans are not blocked by dust, and that the laptop is on a flat, hard surface to allow for proper airflow.
(If you're using laptop) You can also try using a laptop cooling pad. If your thermal grease has dried up, you may need to consider disassembling the back cover of the laptop to replace the thermal grease to obtain good heat dissipation.

Power Plan: Ensure that your power plan is set to High Performance. Sometimes, the default power-saving settings can limit the CPU's performance. By the way, you can try to redeploy the current power plan, Press and hold Windows+S, search for CMD, right-click to run the command prompt as an administrator, the following are the power modes corresponding to several power plans:

High performance:

powercfg -s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Ultra performance:

powercfg -s e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

(For laptop) BIOS Settings: Check your BIOS settings for any fan control options. Some laptops have settings that control fan behavior based on temperature thresholds. Make sure it's set to a mode that allows for higher fan speeds during gaming.

These may reduce lags caused by too high cpu usage.

If the problem is still on going, then I have no ide what's going on.
I tried all the stuff you said but some of it is not working though i've been thinking that i should change my thermal paste since i did play heavy games before it might have dried up because of the game i played thank you for the help too i'll try to change the thermal paste if i can and try it again