forum

hi, osu!std player here trying to get into mania - any tips that i should know when starting out?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ vrissy ]
: 3
midgy
ignore combo and just aim for 95% acc, play lots of different maps and don't spam retry, both awful habits that are very common on std.

the biggest thing is to dl lots of different maps and just sightread them, ranked section has a huge amount of easier stuff so you should be fine sticking to that only until you get to around 4-5*

playing std files in mania mode makes some really jank patterns and isn't the best for actually improving past like 2* so i would strongly recommend making sure you are getting those made for mania specifically

most importantly just enjoy the game :D
UltraBlack
don't try to push yourself too much and enjoy playing maps that you find cool.
Hoshimegu Mio
Remember to change scroll speed from variable to fixed. (I learnt that the hard way)
Stickman92
Its worth playing a variety of key-modes instead of purely focusing on 4k. 4k/7k tends to be most popular.
UltraBlack

Stickman92 wrote:

Its worth playing a variety of key-modes instead of purely focusing on 4k. 4k/7k tends to be most popular.
Play 5k and 6k too, they are really fun and help with the higher keymodes :)
Nanofranne
Set your scroll speed by pressing f3 and f4. You don't want accidentally read like ar11 or ar 8 by having uncomfy note density
glenda
make sure to keep your eyes in the middle of the play field! find your sweet spot somewhere in the middle and adjust your skin's combo and judgements to sit right under that sweet spot. also really pay attention to long note release timing or you'll end up with bad habits that need to be corrected. most importantly, take breaks to rest your hands and stop playing for the day if you're just getting frustrated. it's a bit of a steep learning curve but it's worth it, gl;hf :)