forum

[Archived] Several Maps freeze game on start

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Speed of Snail
Problem details: For some reason recently, I've suddenly had many mapsets become completely unplayable for me. Whenever I try to play them they just, go to a loading screen forever until forced to close. Any map that is broken like this is the entire mapset, never seems to be just one difficulty.

In multiplayer, I'll simply be loading in until the map ends, at which point the game will submit scores as if I was never in the lobby.

I've tried changing release streams to no effect, I've tried a variety of different video settings to no effect, I've tried deleting and reinstalling broken mapsets to no effect.

Opening one of these mapsets in editor crashes osu, just closes instantly with no error message or anything. There seems to be little rhyme or reason to which mapsets are playable and which aren't. Sometimes when I restart the game the same maps are broken, but this is not consistent. There is no way to tell if a map is going to be broken until seeing it break directly.

It's not entirely impossible to play a broken map, restarting the game enough times sometimes makes them work again, also one time I managed to make a broken map playable by (deleting and reinstalling the map, opening in editor twice and failing, then trying to play it 3 times and on the 3rd time it worked) after it worked once it worked everytime after that, though I've never been able to recreate this with any other sets.

I'm at such a loss for what is going on, this has never been a problem until just a few days ago and it absolutely halts my ability to play the game. Any ideas for what might be causing this would be appreciated.

osu! version: Cutting Edge 20240121
Catgirl
i've had this same thing happen and it's from the maps having .mp4 video files. i'm on windows 11 and posted a similar thread.

is this similar to what you're having happen?

if so solution for now is disable background videos for all maps, then play the map, and turn background videos back on afterwards.
Topic Starter
Speed of Snail

Catgirl wrote:

i've had this same thing happen and it's from the maps having .mp4 video files. i'm on windows 11 and posted a similar thread.

is this similar to what you're having happen?

if so solution for now is disable background videos for all maps, then play the map, and turn background videos back on afterwards.
That does look similar. I'd temporarily found a fix downloading manually instead of through direct, but this might just be it. I'll try disabling videos when I get home and see if that fixes it entirely.