forum

[Archived] Is there still anything I can do to minimize audio latency?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheMask2
osu! version: Stable 20230101.2

I use this map https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/57424 Keyboard Latency Test mapped by haha5957, with a small edit - the original map has 29 notes, I doubled that, extending the length of this map to 1 minute so I can get a more stable average. Every time I test latency, I click the first note with my eye opened, and close my eyes and try to sync key sound and music beats. The latency here is defined as the Average Hit Error at result screen. Every latency number you see below is an average of 5 consecutive rounds of testing. Almost every test I did has an Unstable Rate around 200.

Before I do any kind of optimization and switching to a new keyboard, it's 21ms for mouse and 55ms for keyboard

The mouse I always use is Logitech G300s, old keyboard was ikbc C104, then I saw some benchmarks where ROG Strix Scope II were pretty high on the latency rank, so I bought that keyboard and tested again, and got 51ms. I then searched for more relevant posts and did the following:

1. Go to sound settings in control panel, disable all enhancements. Restart. No significant difference (average difference ≤ 4ms).
2. Allow exclusive control and give priority control to exclusive mode applications. Restart. No significant difference (average difference ≤ 4ms).
3. Tried various default formats, 44kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz. Restart. No significant difference (average difference ≤ 4ms).
4. Disable AMD FreeSync and enable Radeon Anti-Lag. Restart. No significant difference (average difference ≤ 4ms).
5. Decrease desktop resolution from 2560×1440 to 1920×1080, change Renderer from OpenGL to Automatic (Direct3D 11). Restart. No significant difference (average difference ≤ 4ms).
6. Power off 2nd monitor. Restart. No significant difference (average difference ≤ 4ms).
7. Change between audio ports. Only one could recognize my headphone.
8. Download minimant-git/REAL from Github and keep it running in background. Restart. No significant difference (average difference ≤ 4ms).

Settings I didn't change:

1. Audio offset is always set to 0.
2. Screen mode is always set to Fullscreen.
3. Resolution is always set to Default.
4. Frame limiter is always set to 2x refresh rate.
5. Threading mode is always set to Multithreaded.

Now I have 16ms latency for mouse and 47ms for keyboard.

And here's my system info, if relevant:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600
RAM : 64GB
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT
Driver Version : 23.12.1

Can I still optimized this even further?
Espionage724
  1. Disable SMT
  2. Disable MPO (NVIDIA has a page with registry files; they work for any GPU)
  3. Use AMD GPU driver 22.5.1 or older; I still remember the horror-show AMD had for months after 22.5.2
  4. Set the audio controller to use MSI mode
  5. Boot a Linux LiveUSB and run osu!lazer's AppImage. I recommend openSUSE Tumbleweed (modern, LiveUSB persistence and their Xfce version (light and Xorg)
  6. Disable IOMMU and virtualization (to make sure IO remapping isn't happening)
  7. After the above, also check where your USB ports go; on Ryzen some go direct to the CPU, and others run through the chipset; I forget what software I used to check but I remember it was important for me with VR on X470
  8. Uninstall anything specific to mouse and keyboard software, and especially anything related to RGB over anything USB (including any internal fans on USB headers)
  9. Disable UAC or run osu! as Administrator
  10. Disable Mitigations on osu!'s exe (in Windows Defender/Security settings)
  11. If for some reason you have or ever had an Alps Touchpad or its driver installed, deeply remove it