forum

[resolved] Osu.exe isnt working

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_handholding
Problem Details
I cant open the osu client anymore as it says the shortcut is from a file that has been changed or moved. Thebeatmaps that are in .osz form have an unreadable icon as if osu! isnt installed. The icon for osu isnt even readable in add/remove programs in control panel (screenshot). I dont want to uninstall as I have quite a lot of beatmaps that I want to keep, some that arent even uploaded to the server

Video or screenshot showing the problem
When I look at the update logs I get this

here is the full 'update log' ---> http://puu.sh/lRsGx/15e8afec3a.log

osu! version: 20151128.2
Trosk-
How does your osu! folder look like? Did you move it from where it originally was or something? If not, that's pretty weird...

Anyways, you could create a new folder in the desktop, copy your osu!.exe, paste it in the folder that you just have created and then run it. It should download the installation archive again in that folder. If it's working after that, you can copy your Songs and Skins folders from your original installation to the new one, and then move the installation folder to wherever you want.
Topic Starter
_handholding
this is what my osu! folder looks like

I tried doing what you told me to do but whenever I click on anything osu related I get this

I actually tried clciking on install osu from the website but it created a completly new folder in my locale and a different 'osu!' in add/remove programs (I've just recently uninstalled it and stuck with the one that doesnt work)
Topic Starter
_handholding
Oh and I didnt alter anything by myself at all. I closed the osu! client and lowered the lid of my laptop (not turn off or restart)
Electoz
How about copy the "song", "skin" or whatever folder you needed as a backup and reinstall it?
Topic Starter
_handholding
Maybe.. copying 10+gb of data does take a while though.

I would consider this however if someone could tell me how to copy my local scores
Electoz

Hi Im Nathan wrote:

Maybe.. copying 10+gb of data does take a while though.

I would consider this however if someone could tell me how to copy my local scores
I would copy them all now while waiting for other solutions.
Trosk-

Hi Im Nathan wrote:

this is what my osu! folder looks like

I tried doing what you told me to do but whenever I click on anything osu related I get this

I actually tried clciking on install osu from the website but it created a completly new folder in my locale and a different 'osu!' in add/remove programs (I've just recently uninstalled it and stuck with the one that doesnt work)
Can I ask why are you trying to open a database file? You won't find anything there. Did you do what I said earlier?

Trosk- wrote:

Anyways, you could create a new folder in the desktop, copy your osu!.exe, paste it in the folder that you just have created and then run it. It should download the installation archive again in that folder. If it's working after that, you can copy your Songs and Skins folders from your original installation to the new one, and then move the installation folder to wherever you want.
Topic Starter
_handholding

Trosk- wrote:

Can I ask why are you trying to open a database file? You won't find anything there. Did you do what I said earlier?
I was just trying to show that I couldnt click on any file.

As for what you told me.... I got this after using the shortcut for osu!.exe ---> http://puu.sh/lRANL/ee84f4fb23.jpg
I tried to manually search for osu!.exe myself using search tools from windows but there are no signs of an osu!.exe apllication
Trosk-
Seems like you deleted your osu!.exe. Download it from here and move it to your osu! installation folder.
Topic Starter
_handholding

Trosk- wrote:

Seems like you deleted your osu!.exe.
lol, more like it committed sudoku on its own

I did what you told me and everything is back to now. Tyvm for helping :)

edit: I checked my recycle bin out of curiosity and couldnt find the osu application in there. Its like it really did vanish in thin air
Trosk-

Hi Im Nathan wrote:

Trosk- wrote:

Seems like you deleted your osu!.exe.
lol, more like it committed sudoku on its own

I did what you told me and everything is back to now. Tyvm for helping :)

edit: I checked my recycle bin out of curiosity and couldnt find the osu application in there. Its like it really did vanish in thin air
Probably you Shift + Supr it, or your antivirus deleted it, or who knows, whatever
slironic
osu! when I try to start it, it starts but then immediently shuts down.
- Marco -
Please write a new topic for your issue
Corne2Plum3

- Marco - wrote:

Please write a new topic for your issue
This, especially on "resolved" issues