forum

[Archived] New to linux, tried to install osu but encountered a problem.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Auctinium
Problem details:
I installed osu! using the steps provided in here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=28025
But my app keeps on closing, sometimes freezing when I open it using the terminal.
When I alt+tab, music playing from the background while the app icon is gone.
It only runs when I open it through the terminal and not when using the shortcut I created.

I should also mention that before the installation process above, I tried to install it using the steps here: community/forums/topics/1248084?start=7919205
I didn't remove the files that were created here before proceeding to the other method

osu! version: Latest stable release from wineHQ
I'm on linux mint mate
Ryu Sei
Have you tried cleaning up your WINEPREFIX folder and retry installing? That's the easiest steps I can think of. As a precaution, you shouldn't mix up steps to install osu!stable on Linux. If the problem is regarding the steps you linked on that forum thread ( community/forums/topics/1248084 ), you can try posting there and get higher chance of people helping with your issue.
Ravener
Hi, a little late but I'm the one who submitted the latest test on winehq appdb.

Back in my time I also faced some crashes when using alt-tab, not really crash but just like you said. the icon disappears while music can be heard, that was a minor issue though so I didn't bother, perhaps disabling osu's "Minimize on Alt-tab" from game settings might improve things? I didn't alt tab much either way.

I did face a few random crashes here and there but they weren't often, like very rarely.

I would recommend re-installing on a new wine prefix and also making sure the prefix is 32-bits, that may be improve things a little, I had a dedicated 32-bits prefix for osu!

Could you also show the .desktop shortcut you made? It was a bit tricky to create my .desktop to launch wine properly.

I've since moved to a new setup on Debian, and I mostly dual boot windows for games now but I was planning to try installing osu! again since I spend most of my time on Linux, I'll see if anything is different and perhaps write up a blog post for a complete guide.