forum

[Archived] Frame time anomaly

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fish Cake
Problem details: Under normal circumstances, the frame time is around 0.5ms, but after playing for a while, about an hour, The frame time of the game will suddenly become abnormal. It looks like using a 30Hz monitor, and my input also be delayed. This makes me almost impossible to play games.

I think this may not be a performance issue, When I play osu!, there are no other programs in the background, and the CPU and GPU temperature is also normal (not exceeding 60°C). I also used MSI Afterburner to detect the frame time of other games, They are all normal, and there will be no situation where frames fall out after playing for a period of time, only osu! has this issue.

Actually, this problem has been bothering me for several months and I have been searching for a solution, like change virtual memory, uninstall GeForce Experience and enable or disable Windows 10 game mode. But none of this works. I also replaced some hardware and reinstalled the computer OS for this, but the problem still occurred.

Interestingly, I found that when a problem arises, if I press alt+tab to switch to the desktop and switch back to game, The frame time will temporarily return to the normal 0.5ms, But it can only last for a few seconds, then will return to an abnormal state close to 7ms.

The only way I have found to alleviate this problem so far is using "Optimal" Frame limiter and enable the "Reduce dropped frame", But the result is that the frame time remains around 3-4 ms (When problems arise), and although the visuals will relatively fluid, but they have not yet fully returned to normal levels, And the input delay still exists. Although it can alleviate the problem, I still cannot view it as a viable solution. Please help me!

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Beta 20231102.4

My PC specs: Ryzen 2600 + GTX 1660Ti
Windows 10 22H2
NVIDIA Driver 546.01
Blushing
Just for reference, you’ve checked the performance troubleshooting wiki, yeah?

wiki/en/Performance_troubleshooting

Some other information to help:

Does using the default skin do anything to alleviate or change the frame time?

It says you are using beta release. Are you able to switch to cutting edge or stable and see if that changes anything?
Topic Starter
Fish Cake

Blushing wrote:

Just for reference, you’ve checked the performance troubleshooting wiki, yeah?

wiki/en/Performance_troubleshooting
Of course, but I have tried most of the methods provided in it and there is nothing it can solve. And when this issue occurs, the game can only run at 200+ frames, which is obviously abnormal, so I don't think changing the frame limit will solve any of this.

I only tried for a short period of time. The default skin is not suitable for me to play for a long time, and I cannot adapt to it. Although the problem did not occur, I am not sure if it has been resolved or only temporarily not appeared. I also asked players who use exactly the same skin as me, but none of them reported this issue. Can you tell me which factors in the skin may cause this problem?

It says you are using beta release. Are you able to switch to cutting edge or stable and see if that changes anything?
Yes, As I mentioned earlier, this issue has been bothering me for several months, I have been using stable versions before. Recently, I saw an update that mentioned fixing a performance issue, which is why I tried using the beta version (also cutting edge), But none of this has changed much, and the problem still occurs.
Blushing

Fish Cake wrote:

I only tried for a short period of time. The default skin is not suitable for me to play for a long time, and I cannot adapt to it. Although the problem did not occur, I am not sure if it has been resolved or only temporarily not appeared. I also asked players who use exactly the same skin as me, but none of them reported this issue. Can you tell me which factors in the skin may cause this problem?
if the skin has elements that create animations, or hundreds of files for the same element it might be beneficial to delete them or a majority of them. (These are usually on the back button, health-bar, and osu! cookie, but they can be on pretty much anything.

if you do not have any animation elements or hundreds of the same element+1 then it might be the skin.

The reason why I asked about the skin is that it can sometimes cause performance issues if there are large amounts of files that osu! has to parse through and then display.
Topic Starter
Fish Cake

Blushing wrote:

if the skin has elements that create animations, or hundreds of files for the same element it might be beneficial to delete them or a majority of them. (These are usually on the back button, health-bar, and osu! cookie, but they can be on pretty much anything.

if you do not have any animation elements or hundreds of the same element+1 then it might be the skin.

The reason why I asked about the skin is that it can sometimes cause performance issues if there are large amounts of files that osu! has to parse through and then display.

Well, At least I can confirm that the problem is not due to the skin. There are no animation files in my skin, and there are even very few @2x files, It's only less than 20MB in size.