forum

Osu! bad for eyes?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ZenithPhantasm
I heard Cookiezi quit because of eye problems from excessive circles.
[ Pustules ]
really depends on how long you are playing for and if you take breaks and what the enviroment is like

1. take a break every 30 mins (even if it just to look around the room for 5 mins)
2. dont leave the room dark. (staring at a screen in a dark room is like staring at the sun kinda...)
3. being on the computer generally isnt good for your eyes either way (cant help it)
Athrun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I heard Cookiezi quit because of eye problems from excessive circles.
Yeah it's true. He couldn't produce tears...

And as for my eyesight, it has actually improved. By pay attention to the circles in the game, I have a faster reaction timing.
nrl

jaaakb wrote:

I'm older now than when i started playing osu! I think it's not only bad for your eyes but also causes aging.
100% of all people who play osu! will eventually die. osu! causes death.
ZenithPhantasm

Narrill wrote:

jaaakb wrote:

I'm older now than when i started playing osu! I think it's not only bad for your eyes but also causes aging.
100% of all people who play osu! will eventually die. osu! causes death.
We can call this the Narrill Postulate.
ImperialYama
-
Blanky
I have similar problems. If I play for 3 hours or more, my dominant eye(left eye) starts to become blurry. It's worrying me a little, but I just stop playing when I notice it, to prevent further damage.
RaneFire

Blanky wrote:

I have similar problems. If I play for 3 hours or more, my dominant eye(left eye) starts to become blurry. It's worrying me a little, but I just stop playing when I notice it, to prevent further damage.
Is your screen's backlight so bright that a black background actually appears to be grey'ish?

I find my eyes getting blurry on my VG248QE because of all the colours being peaked towards white, and lower brightness settings make the strobing of the backlight more apparent, which is really straining on my eyes due to the persistence of vision effect, which lasts about 40ms. This makes bright objects appear to leave a trail on the screen, as with my spinner approach circle/cursor which is white.
Blanky

RaneFire wrote:

Blanky wrote:

Is your screen's backlight so bright that a black background actually appears to be grey'ish?

I find my eyes getting blurry on my VG248QE because of all the colours being peaked towards white, and lower brightness settings make the strobing of the backlight more apparent, which is really straining on my eyes due to the persistence of vision effect, which lasts about 40ms. This makes bright objects appear to leave a trail on the screen, as with my spinner approach circle/cursor which is white.
I don't think so. I never had good eyesight to begin with though.
dera
it just really fucking hurts for me
is there a skin which prevents this
Nit0ri
Maybe you are too close to the screen while playing.
Thats not good.
DragoBruder
Sorry for reviving this.

I myself believe that it even improves my sight even though my eyes get blurry when I don't blink properly... But that will fix with another blink...

At least I know now everything is ez
xPinkyDash
Don't listen to the idiots telling you that osu! doesn't hurt your eyes: it absolutely does. Sure, you could mitigate the effects with a different skin, turning the lights on, eating better, sleeping properly, etc, but it will STILL affect your eyes by playing the game, especially for any longer than 20 minutes.

I find it appalling that people blame you and your screen and not the game, not even a slight bit. Any game that forces you to move your eyes around a lot while also making you keep them open for over a minute at a time will cause them to hurt. Other games may not have as much effect because they don't force you to switch between the different corners of your skin as you try to FC a jump map for the billionth time.

Either play quite little or quit the game. Your health is not worth risking for clicking circles.

>inb4 necroposting

stfu.
UPR

xPinkyDashTemp wrote:

Don't listen to the idiots telling you that osu! doesn't hurt your eyes: it absolutely does. Sure, you could mitigate the effects with a different skin, turning the lights on, eating better, sleeping properly, etc, but it will STILL affect your eyes by playing the game, especially for any longer than 20 minutes.

I find it appalling that people blame you and your screen and not the game, not even a slight bit. Any game that forces you to move your eyes around a lot while also making you keep them open for over a minute at a time will cause them to hurt. Other games may not have as much effect because they don't force you to switch between the different corners of your skin as you try to FC a jump map for the billionth time.

Either play quite little or quit the game. Your health is not worth risking for clicking circles.

>inb4 necroposting

stfu.
necroposting on a near decade old thread, L
Edgar_Figaro

xPinkyDashTemp wrote:

. Any game that forces you to move your eyes around a lot while also making you keep them open for over a minute at a time will cause them to hurt. Other games may not have as much effect because they don't force you to switch between the different corners of your skin as you try to FC a jump map for the billionth time.
While this is a necro-post since you seem to be a relatively new player I want to correct some misconceptions.

1. Everyone and I mean everyone blinks while playing this game. If you think you need to death stare the screen to FC the map you are wrong. You could argue that it's bad as it doesn't allow you to "look away" however this is not unique to osu as many games would result in your failure if you looked away. Also pausing and break screens do exist so if you really want to you can

2. Most skilled players keep their eyes focused on a single spot of the screen and use their peripheral vision to hit objects. It's actually quite a bit harder to play the game if you are trying to make your eyes dart around the screen constantly. I remember seeing a video on youtube where someone did a comparison of a new player vs a pro player using an eye tracker and the pro player tended to keep their eyes at pretty much the same spot the entire time while the new player was constantly darting around.
Naiad

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

2. Most skilled players keep their eyes focused on a single spot of the screen and use their peripheral vision to hit objects. It's actually quite a bit harder to play the game if you are trying to make your eyes dart around the screen constantly. I remember seeing a video on youtube where someone did a comparison of a new player vs a pro player using an eye tracker and the pro player tended to keep their eyes at pretty much the same spot the entire time while the new player was constantly darting around.
Small nitpick, but I don't think this is true. As I've gotten better, I've tended more and more towards reading individual patterns, if not circles sometimes. Additionally top player eye trackers that I've seen show this trend, too.
his everything
If you play osu for too long, of course it will not be good for your eyes. I play the game for 1-2 hours per day and no more than that, and I don't have any eyes problem.

1. I always blink when I'm playing a map; I can't let my eyes open for more than 10 seconds otherwise it will hurts so bad.

2. I'm not a pro player so I can't relate, but I sometimes tend to keep my eyes in one spot because it's easier for me to hit jumps, for example.
dung eater

xPinkyDashTemp wrote:

>inb4 necroposting

stfu.
it really doesn't hurt your eyes that much, if it does it's an issue with how you play the game/setup/other things making you more prone to eye issues.

good lighting in room, monitor not too bright, eating healthy and sleeping enough, not just staring at your monitor or other nearby objects all day during the day goes a long way.
his everything
Btw, I don't even think that Gamma hurts your eyes
krafi

Heinzen wrote:

Getting dry eyes could be because your screen is too bright and your room is too dark, which causes stress to lubricate your eye-balls.

Overall osu does not cause any type of eye condition, the only known one was cookiezi's eye problem (Xerophthalmia) but that's something the person is born with.

No, osu won't damage your eyes unless you have a really bad setup for playing osu like I stated before, bright screen/dark room or something else.
https://chat.openai.com/share/c6957d93-e56a-4ccc-9025-25bbeb52b7b9

looks like chatgpt is lieing lol , Cookiezi, also known as Shigetora, has a vision condition called Keratoconus.
his everything

krafi wrote:

Heinzen wrote:

Getting dry eyes could be because your screen is too bright and your room is too dark, which causes stress to lubricate your eye-balls.

Overall osu does not cause any type of eye condition, the only known one was cookiezi's eye problem (Xerophthalmia) but that's something the person is born with.

No, osu won't damage your eyes unless you have a really bad setup for playing osu like I stated before, bright screen/dark room or something else.
https://chat.openai.com/share/c6957d93-e56a-4ccc-9025-25bbeb52b7b9

looks like chatgpt is lieing lol , Cookiezi, also known as Shigetora, has a vision condition called Keratoconus.
No idea what it is but it doesn't look good...