forum

How to properly hitsounding (problem with whistle)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LoliVoiceASMR
I currently make a map but dont know how to hitsound it, especially with how to properly use whistle
try to search some guides but it just make me more confused since there is no concrete explanation unlike clap or finish (or maybe just me that not understand)

people said that whistle usually used on vocal or melody that need to emphasize but still it just doesnt clear to me when should I use or when I shouldnt. should I use whistle on every vocal or use whistle on one certain melody? I just dont know how to do

I just need some examples so I can clear about this problem

PLZ help
D33d
Use it on very special emphasis and no more. The exception is if you have a good place for very consistent rhythmic whistling, but the sound becomes very annoying very quickly.
powerplayer75
if you want you can replace the whistle sound with something you like from a hitsound pack. it can be anything you think sounds good.

you can always just look through the ranked maps you have to see how they hitsounded things. turn music volume low (or 0) and effect volume high.
Zelzatter Zero
prefereably use them for emphasis, like in chorus for example, or you want to emphasize a particular sound.
t37m
OKAY! SO

You don't really need to worry about what hitsounds to mark as clap, finish, or whistle unless your cautious about taiko converting

You can mark lyrics, or a specific item in the beat with whistle, usually clap is for the main rhythm in the beat and in my experience I use finish for the base.

For me iv kind of mixed them up and I really wish I shouldn't of but those were my old maps and iv learned from them.

Though, make sure to keep your hitsounding consistent, NOT ALWAYS BUT IF YOU HAVE TO add more hitsounds and file name them to be under a different Sampleset. like "soft-hitnormal" or "drum-hitnormal".
lewski

Zavie wrote:

You don't really need to worry about what hitsounds to mark as clap, finish, or whistle unless your cautious about taiko converting
u do in fact need to worry about it a bit because if u put something u use a lot on soft or normal finish ur gonna kill anyone who ignores custom hs (vast majority of players) and has any kind of finish-like sample in their skin

this is reflected in the rc too

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Avoid replacing the hit finish in soft/normal samplesets with frequently used custom hitsound samples. Using these finishes to represent snare/bass drums or a song's melody can sound obnoxious for anyone disabling beatmap hitsounds. Replacing hit whistles/claps is recommended because those samples are used more often. osu!taiko beatmaps are exempt from this guideline and have their own mode-specific hitsound sample guideline.