forum

[Archived] Osu! on laptop. AudioLag.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Koztik
Hey everyone. I want to apologize in advance for any mistakes as English is not my native language. I play on laptop (Lenovo Legion, Intel+NVidia, 8GB RAM, SSD, 120Hz) and got myself my first mechanical keyboard recently so naturally my osu! spark reignited once again as I always wanted to try it with mecha as all people recommend. But there's this thing that bothers me all the time: I get thrown off because of bad sync between keypresses and ingame actions/sounds, not only in osu but in many games, I developed this dependency after I once compared how rhythm games behave on android vs my friends iPhone. So I went over a dozen of tutorials trying to make audio latency as low and unnoticable as possible. Yet, there's always what feels like a 40-50ms (after adjusting in Audio Delay Wizard thingy) delay between keypresses and a sounds coming from my headphones, and I end up hitting 100s most of the time. I use a tablet and my cursor movements don't feel delayed/laggy at all, it's only hitsound that seem delayed a lot, and I also check any hitsound files for empty space in the beginning.
So my question is: do laptops, due to their hardware, have a limit to how responsive can osu! be?
Thanks a lot.
P.S. Im on latest Win11
Blushing
Are the headphones you use wired? Bluetooth/wireless headphones have been known to cause some audio lag.
- If you are using wired headphones then you should also make sure that you don't have any audio enhancements applied to your audio driver/audio software. If you find that you do have enhancements make sure to turn them off for osu!/in general.
- You should also check to make sure that you don't have any audio driver/OS updates to apply, and if you do make sure to do so.

If you aren't playing osu! with your laptop plugged in then you should definitely do that and see if anything changes.

Are you using Audio Compatibility Mode in the settings? If so, try seeing if turning it off helps any.

Also, you should try playing with your offset being 0 while testing any of this.
Topic Starter
Koztik

Blushing wrote:

Are the headphones you use wired? Bluetooth/wireless headphones have been known to cause some audio lag.
- If you are using wired headphones then you should also make sure that you don't have any audio enhancements applied to your audio driver/audio software. If you find that you do have enhancements make sure to turn them off for osu!/in general.
- You should also check to make sure that you don't have any audio driver/OS updates to apply, and if you do make sure to do so.

If you aren't playing osu! with your laptop plugged in then you should definitely do that and see if anything changes.

Are you using Audio Compatibility Mode in the settings? If so, try seeing if turning it off helps any.

Also, you should try playing with your offset being 0 while testing any of this.
Thanks for pointing out all the info I forgot to mention 😄
My headphones are wired and without any DSP (Koss PortaPro), all audio enhancements are off, all my drivers are up to date, but I actually forgot to try switching audio compat mode because recently I tried following another guide that says to switch osu to integrated graphics in windows settings. Thanks for you answer

P.S. About offset master, I always keep offset at 0 except for those moments where I want to see exactly how much delay changes based on settings that I apply