forum

Coming back, but minimally. When I get to do more maps, is Ranked or Loved easier to get??

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
As the title suggests, I'm deciding to come back to the game, but I'm going to be like 99.9% less active as before. Expect me to not really do anything through the next weeks, as I'll still end up logging in and viewing the site, but not making any other posts, scores, or map uploads, as those will be extremely rare for now.

I've mentally recovered after the incident last time, so I'm free to talk civilly now.
Also, I have this question that I had for a while now. Which type of beatmap status is easiest to obtain? Ranked? Loved? I would love to know, so I can properly shape the future of my mapping career/hobby.

I'm out. Feel free to ask any questions.
WitherMite
ranked is probably easier.

with ranked its your job to make the map rankable and find a couple bn's who are willing to nominate it

with loved, only a few maps are nominated every month and you have to wait and hope that captains eventually pick your map out of the many submissions, then that enough of the people who vote say yes.
plus you have to wait a year before your map can be picked, unless its a gimmick map that breaks ranking criteria on purpose.

basically you can aim for ranked, loved just kind of happens.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

WitherMite wrote:

ranked is probably easier.

with ranked its your job to make the map rankable and find a couple bn's who are willing to nominate it

with loved, only a few maps are nominated every month and you have to wait and hope that captains eventually pick your map out of the many submissions, then that enough of the people who vote say yes.
plus you have to wait a year before your map can be picked, unless its a gimmick map that breaks ranking criteria on purpose.

basically you can aim for ranked, loved just kind of happens.
I make sort of playable maps, but I have had ideas to make maps that breaks the gameplay rules on purpose. Haven't decided the song for that though. For Loved, I could submit a map in the future and hope it is chosen for the vote.

I'm still sort of lost about the nomination and hype part of the ranking criteria. I don't really know anyone who would like it enough to do just that.

Can't really upload maps right now anyway, since I am capped for map uploads.
Rezq Gokou
you need to fulfil the criteria for a map to be ranked. And if you want a map to get loved you need to have some kind of creativity. Not just the circle placement, but also storyboard. I suggest you to make one or two normal maps first before you "break the gameplay rules". Because you still need to know what makes a map playable and don't break the essential things that makes it playable.
Blushing
From someone that’s a part of the loved team. “Going for loved” is something that shouldn’t be sought after due to the unconventionality of the system. There are a lot more variables to getting a nomination through to the captains rather than ranking a beatmap.

You can definitely try but without hard statistics or a really strong support system for the beatmap it will need yo sit for some time (the time is most likely longer than it would take to get something ranked).
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Rezq wrote:

you need to fulfil the criteria for a map to be ranked. And if you want a map to get loved you need to have some kind of creativity. Not just the circle placement, but also storyboard. I suggest you to make one or two normal maps first before you "break the gameplay rules". Because you still need to know what makes a map playable and don't break the essential things that makes it playable.
I've made a ton of normal maps, most of which are not uploaded here, and may never will. We'll see. I've just never had the right time and song to make a gimmicky map.

In the case of the ranking criteria, my one-off diffs will never get a ranked status, as I just feel like it would take a lot longer to finish. I usually do it open and shut, so I can finish in time to do other projects. It's impossible for me to get guest difficulties/collabs for my maps anyway.

Other than that, ranked is the easiest, but not for me right now.