forum

[Archived] Overheating GPU on Gaming laptop

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GamerSweat
Problem details: Overheating GPU on Msi GF 65 thin SD while playing

Laptop Specs: 1660 ti, i5 9th gen, 16gb RAM, 120Hz 1920x1080 screen
Ive added a cooling pad, made sure theres an additional fan and also put the laptop fans at the highest speed and rooom temperature is kept around 25C
I dont think the cooling is the issue here as I can comfortable play "genshin impact" at around 70-75 at both gpu and cpu
For OSU, I play on 1920x1080 borderless with V-sync and have to HEAVILY undervolt my Cpu and Gpu if i dont want temperature to go above 90C, while i managed to drop the CPU temps to 60-70, im unable to drop the GPU Temps below 80.

Things I Have observed:
When launching the game and not playing a map, temps stay around 50-55C, when playing first map they go to 60-70C, after a few maps it goes to 70-80C (for GPU)
Now, if i keep it idle on home menu / selector screen the GPU temps would suddenly rise to 86-90C and stay there

I have confirmed that OSU is using 1660ti graphics card and not integrated 1, i have basically tried out everything to fix this but im still unable to do anything, any idea what I can do? (other games also run fine)

(first post so idk if i did anything wrong here)
osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
LethalStarfish
What frame limiter setting are you using? If you're using "Unlimited (gameplay)" then osu! will try to render as many frames as the system is capable of and cause very high GPU load and temps. Consider trying the "optimal" setting for frame limiter under the "Renderer" settings tab, as you should still be able to achieve a very smooth framerate without pushing your system to the max given your hardware. osu! will still try to push your framerate a fair bit even in the menu if you've got it set to "unlimited".
Also consider trying playing in fullscreen instead of borderless, as you can typically achieve better frame rate and frame consistency with less GPU & CPU resources.
Topic Starter
GamerSweat

LethalStarfish wrote:

What frame limiter setting are you using? If you're using "Unlimited (gameplay)"
I mentioned i have set it to "V-sync", therefore capping it at 120fps
I will try using fullscreen to see if there is any difference

Update- fullscreen doesnt work, it just puts the game on blackscreen
LethalStarfish
Ah sorry, missed that.
Strange that fullscreen would act like that. Sounds like you could have some overlays interfering potentially. Have you tried turning off any discord, nvidia geforce experience, and xbox game bar overlays? These could cause higher GPU load potentially too, especially if you have something like nvidia shadowplay enabled.
Topic Starter
GamerSweat
Ive disabled all of them
LethalStarfish
No luck there I guess?
Have you tried re-installing? Just make sure to back up your songs folder first.
Otherwise I'm afraid I don't have any particular suggestions...
Ketakonijn

GamerSweat wrote:

LethalStarfish wrote:

What frame limiter setting are you using? If you're using "Unlimited (gameplay)"
I mentioned i have set it to "V-sync", therefore capping it at 120fps
I will try using fullscreen to see if there is any difference

Update- fullscreen doesnt work, it just puts the game on blackscreen
I have the same thing with the fullscreen. Just Keep alt tabbing in and out of the game. After a few tries you dont get a black screen.

If the alt tab option dont really work:

* Go to your osu folder where your config is located in.

* Then open your config and change fullscreen to be enabled and save it after.

* then right click on the config -> click properties -> check the box of the "read only" setting -> press apply and close it all.

* start the game and u will find out it will launch in fullscreen

(This basicly launch osu! In fullscreen. Once you alt tab. It still could happen to get that blackscreen. Just try it out if that helps with the high cpu/gpu usage)

Please lemme know if it works or not ;D