forum

I need beginner help

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CHILLNER
I recently started learning how to map and I'm getting the hang of it, but I don't know a very important step to make a map like getting a mp3/obtaining the favored song I want to map. I got around this problem by editing other people's maps that have the song I want to start my own, but I've started to consider that as a bad way to properly have my own map. Is there a way to get my song as a mp3 and to transfer my already progressed map that I have done on a person's map onto another?
Jason X
Taking audio files from already mapped songs is totally fine, especially if it's a ranked version it's sometimes encouraged to use these since the timing (BPM/Offset) is correct on them.

CHILLNER wrote:

transfer my already progressed map that I have done on a person's map onto another?
Do you mean like you've mapped something in an already existing map?
If yes, here's a step-by-step on how to get it to another mapset
For this checklist, I'll assume that you already got the audio file or you are taking the one from the same map.
If the audio file is not yet there/you don't want to use the one from the same map, please have it ready before proceeding.
  1. Enter the editor with the map in question.
  2. Open the Song Folder.
  3. Locate the difficulty in question.
  4. Copy the difficulty file (Ctrl + C).
  5. Import the audio file into osu (drag and drop) and enter the editor.
  6. Fill out the metadata so you can continue (Artist, Title, Difficulty name).
    (Use a different difficulty name than what you've copied, else you might overwrite it accidentally)
  7. Open the Song Folder in your new map.
  8. Paste your difficulty into this folder.
  9. Open the difficulty file in a suitable editor. (Built-in Windows editor works just fine)
  10. Locate the [Metadata] section, change the Creator to your username, also make sure BeatmapID is set to 0 and BeatmapSetID is set to -1.
  11. Save the text editor and close it, then leave the osu editor without saving there, the difficulty should now be available in this set.
If you have problems with any of these steps let me know, and I'll explain more thoroughly.
Yodana
Hellow !

I've also recently started learning mapping...

From what I've read on Osu's forums and Reddit, the best way to dwnld a song is by an another map. As Jason X told you. It's really the easier way to get a good quality song !

For steps, you can go to Youtube and watch the "osu!mapping" videos, they're almost always videos on "how to map" (they're often introduction) but I'm sure you can find a series of video to learn more !
I'm belgian so I try to watch videos in French. I don't know/haven't looked for good videos in English.

Have a nice day !