forum

[Archived] osu! macOS not opening after latest update

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gh0st_5had0w

Problem details:

After downloading the new osu! update that shows up when you open the game, the application closed itself and does not open after the update is finished. The preloaders wine64-preloader and wine32on64-preloader show up on the screen but osu! does not.

I deleted the entire application at this point meaning that I've no logs, and reinstalled the latest wineskin from Technocoder from here: community/forums/topics/1106057?n=1.

I checked Wineskin in the new download and found that It didn't have any engines to run osu!, so I downloaded Wineskin Winery and followed the instructions from here: community/forums/topics/679205?n=1. I tried to update the wrapper version from Wineskin-2.9.0.7 to Wineskin-2.9.1.9 which didn't work and just decided to install the latest engine WS11WineCX64Bit22.1.1-rc2. Changing the engine to WS11WineCX64Bit22.1.1-rc2 made osu! open but it had serious latency issues and I couldn't turn off compatibility mode in the options.

I then reinstalled the entire osu! application again using the first link above to see what engine that Wineskin was meant to be working on before I screwed everything up. Now when I try to open Wineskin it gives me the error [Error while writting file: The folder "exec1732116859.bat" doesn't exist]. I currently can't open osu! since I can't change the engine in Wineskin and there seem to be files missing from the osu! folder.

I've no idea what's going on and it would be great to get some help :p

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

I have screenshots on my Mac but I don't know where to upload them online

osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
Domco
Thanks for the report, we are investigating the issue and will release fix as soon as possible.
FrostyF
Bump. I have this issue as well, and was just coming to post this issue myself
Evernight
I also have this issue. Bump
Gengar9nn
me too. Bump
ADR1LL
me three. bump
Domco

gh0st_5had0w wrote:

Problem details:

After downloading the new osu! update that shows up when you open the game, the application closed itself and does not open after the update is finished. The preloaders wine64-preloader and wine32on64-preloader show up on the screen but osu! does not.

I deleted the entire application at this point meaning that I've no logs, and reinstalled the latest wineskin from Technocoder from here: community/forums/topics/1106057?n=1.

I checked Wineskin in the new download and found that It didn't have any engines to run osu!, so I downloaded Wineskin Winery and followed the instructions from here: community/forums/topics/679205?n=1. I tried to update the wrapper version from Wineskin-2.9.0.7 to Wineskin-2.9.1.9 which didn't work and just decided to install the latest engine WS11WineCX64Bit22.1.1-rc2. Changing the engine to WS11WineCX64Bit22.1.1-rc2 made osu! open but it had serious latency issues and I couldn't turn off compatibility mode in the options.

I then reinstalled the entire osu! application again using the first link above to see what engine that Wineskin was meant to be working on before I screwed everything up. Now when I try to open Wineskin it gives me the error [Error while writting file: The folder "exec1732116859.bat" doesn't exist]. I currently can't open osu! since I can't change the engine in Wineskin and there seem to be files missing from the osu! folder.

I've no idea what's going on and it would be great to get some help :p

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

I have screenshots on my Mac but I don't know where to upload them online

osu! version: Stable 20230326 (latest)
When you say the newest version has serious latency issues do you think the reason is compatibility mode being turned on? For example can you test if you experience the same latency issues with version 21 with compatibility mode turned on?
Topic Starter
gh0st_5had0w
osu! typically runs pretty bad with compatibility mode turned on for me though it usually only drops the frame rate from 120fps to about 70 on the loading screen from older versions. With the newest version, it drops to about 40fps. It was getting to the point where my cursor was jumping around the screen when I moved it.

I've downloaded the osu! app again, and everything seems to be working fine so the first issue is no longer relevant. Still have no idea what caused it in the first place, I think some files that the game needed to run weren't being downloaded.

Checked compatibility mode as well and it just works badly on my mac. It drops to below 60fps regardless of the version so it's not a specific issue.

I gotta download all my beatmaps and skins again qwq
Domco

gh0st_5had0w wrote:

osu! typically runs pretty bad with compatibility mode turned on for me though it usually only drops the frame rate from 120fps to about 70 on the loading screen from older versions. With the newest version, it drops to about 40fps. It was getting to the point where my cursor was jumping around the screen when I moved it.

I've downloaded the osu! app again, and everything seems to be working fine so the first issue is no longer relevant. Still have no idea what caused it in the first place, I think some files that the game needed to run weren't being downloaded.

Checked compatibility mode as well and it just works badly on my mac. It drops to below 60fps regardless of the version so it's not a specific issue.

I gotta download all my beatmaps and skins again qwq
Are you on intel mac?
Topic Starter
gh0st_5had0w
Yep, 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5