forum

[Resolved] Unable to open folders from within the game

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jason X
Problem details:
For just over 2 weeks I'm unable to open any folder from within the game (skins, beatmap, exports).
Whenever I click such an option nothing happens, there is no error message, no log entry, and windows event viewer also has no entry about it.
I used the repair folders permission option, used repair osu, tried a fresh installation and checked if it might've been a permission problem with windows, all to no avail.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Video showing the problem: https://youtu.be/fxRoMANpfDI

osu! version: Cutting Edge 20230202

Edit: I will list anything that has been tried or the results of (significant) questions here.
- It's possible to open screenshots, .osu/.osb files, and chatlogs.
- osu! is installed on an external SSD (connected via USB cable).
- The problem is isolated to my PC, it does not happen on my Laptop.
- Fresh installation on my HDD doesn't solve the problem.
- Occurs on all 3 release streams (Stable, Beta, Cutting Edge).
- No changes to my system settings. (Changes like font were made before the problem occurred first)
- running with admin permissions does not solve the problem.
Death
Does this also happen on Stable? Have you changed anything else on your PC in the last two weeks?
Topic Starter
Jason X

Death wrote:

Does this also happen on Stable? Have you changed anything else on your PC in the last two weeks?
Yes, the problem is also present on Stable/Beta.
I changed my font roughly 3 weeks ago, but I also reverted that change a few days after (pre-installed font), no other changes that I haven't done on a regular the past couple of months/years.

Some things I have checked over the night:
- Installed osu! in a new folder on my 2nd HDD, the problem remains.
- Started my PC without my SSD being connected and freshly installed osu!, the problem remains.
- Connected my SSD to my laptop, problem is not present, so this problem is isolated to my PC.
Death
Are you running osu! as an administrator by any chance?
Topic Starter
Jason X
No, I usually run it with default permissions (click the shortcut and the game starts), just tried running it as administrator and the problem is still there.
Death
Installing and uninstalling that font didn't involve anything crazy, right? Like you just double clicked on a ttf or otf file?

Does your browser open if you take a screenshot with Shift+F12?
Topic Starter
Jason X
The font was pre-installed by Windows, so it was just a couple of clicks in the settings
(OS is Windows 10 btw)
Screenshots do open in the browser, .osu/.osb files do open the text editor, and so does the chatlog (when one does /savelog and clicks the notification).
Death
Forgot to check back in this thread, sorry. Where do you normally have osu! installed?
Topic Starter
Jason X
The path is G:\mein kram\osu related\osu!

It is on an external SSD (USB connection), set up to function as a USB drive.
I don't think the SSD is the problem (see the post from 5 days ago), as it does not occur when I connect it to my Laptop.
Topic Starter
Jason X
The problem has resolved itself today, still not sure what caused it, or what caused it to function again.

Changed title from Archived to Resolved.