forum

Should i bother learning 7k

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
15C
does it improve my 4k reading, and also is it even worth it and fun and benefits my overall game (4k, 7k) in the long run
Stickman92
Play more 4k to git gud at 4k, 7k won't help with that.

And yes, 7k is fun. Its 1.75x more fun than 4k.

More fingers = More fun
Therefore 7k is 1.75x more fun than 4k.
Topic Starter
15C

Stickman92 wrote:

More fingers = More fun
more fingers = more fun i just choked on my water
another question, if 4k helps with 7k, does 7k also help with 4k?
Stickman92

luminar wrote:

Stickman92 wrote:

More fingers = More fun
more fingers = more fun i just choked on my water
another question, if 4k helps with 7k, does 7k also help with 4k?
I never said 4k helps with 7k?

If you get good at 7k, you'll be decent at 4k.

4k has minimal carryover to 7k. Same way that my 7k has minimal carry over to 10k.

Just start with ~1.00* songs and progress from there.
Dementedjet
Well if you wanna aim at the long run, 7k gives more pp and overall is more difficult, it helps a little with 4k but it has different keybinds and different fingers aimed at those. For the beginning 4k is better and around the level of ~3-4 stars you should start learning 7k
Stomiks
I'd say go for it. 7k is more fun than 4k imo.

As for benefits, I'd say it's pretty minimal if you were to play 4k again. Maybe a bit better reading if we're taking an example. The best way to improve at a keymode is to play it after all
UltraBlack
Just the fact of using "bother" to learn 7k just shows you don't want to do it, it's not going to give you any increase at 4k, maybe a bit on LN's but that is on a high level instance i'd say.
shp
iShanoa
I don't think 7k will help you improve in 4k, maybe yes but not as much as you would imagine. I play both and I started on 7k before trying out 4k. Generally, 4k is denser than 7k so my arms hurt on 4k stamina maps. XD

PS: I got used to pressing space that I press space whenever I go "fuck it, I'll just press random keys and hope I hit the notes" even on 4k. LOOL. Also, I've seen posts before where they main 4k and started learning 7k but has problem with not pressing spacebar so you might want to expect the same with you.

Stickman92 wrote:

More fingers = More fun
And yes, 7k is fun.
miwiki
the majority thinks 7k is fun but i've been cursed to find 7 key agonizing, even though i like watching 7 key stuff
Gamesnake7

regitt wrote:

the majority thinks 7k is fun but i've been cursed to find 7 key agonizing, even though i like watching 7 key stuff
Relatable lol
But you gotta play more to admire it
UltraBlack
Recently my 4k ln skills have been improving a lot, i mean, on 4k i am 8th dan but i am able to get S ranks on all the 13th maps without much problems. I have to say thats because of 7k because i don't 4k there is a some time (3-4 months)
schlafi
Learning 7k is super fun. I used to play only 4k but decided to give 7k a try recently and I've completely fallen in love with it and even want to make it my main keymode now. Sure the beginning is slow, but after about a week of decent practice you start to evolve a feeling for finger independance, get more used to using space bar, and might already be able to play 3 star maps, and that's where maps start to become fun imo.
What I didn't like in 4k is that harder maps depend a lot more on speed and stamina/technique with very dense patterns, which takes a lot more time to evolve than simply learning how to read stuff. In 7k, you get many maps that are slower and less stamina draining in comparison. Some 7k maps seem laughably easy if you compare them to difficult 4k maps, despite having the "same" star rating, as in 7k notes can be spread across 3 more keys, where you essentially end up with the same nps while everything still seems to be "slower".
Having only 4k experience does not really help you much with 7k, but a few patters might seem familiar to you and are easier to adapt.
I'm just a below-average 4k player so there're people who can probably tell you better than me, but what counts the most is that you enjoy the journey of whatever keymode you're playing. Don't feel forced, but instead enjoy the progress you've made over the course of time. Regular practice can get you anywhere!
sunnyF
absolutely try going for it, start with 6K and then slowly start using your thumbs for the spacebar, I personally learned using my both thumbs for 7K and the other and it made basically everything much easier, so take your time and be consistent and you'll become a decent player.