forum

Why did the osu!mania pp committee not decide to buff rice patterns?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Iattractegirls
I'm just pretty confused, everything seems so far gone. Chordjacks are the only buff it looks like, and barely, in comparison to the absolute buff that LN got. Anything with brackets, mini jacks, delays, is so heavily underrated it is laughable? For example, Beyond by Tyrcs. You have Halftime scores, still on the global leaderboard, because of how heavily underrated this map is. Strong 280, Aegleseeker, Triumphal Return, We want to run, Deublithick, Bomb Bang Bound, Freedom dive, Sentimental Surge, Loshaxi, Ascension to Heaven, Imperishable Night, Pacific Girls,
The only rice based maps that have high SR for how easy they play, are the one's that shouldn't even deserve it, Pumping Iron Power, Materialize Anything, S.A.T.E.L.L.I.T.E, New World.

Am I the only one who thinks that Rice star rating is literally the opposite of what it should be? These are absolutely hard in their own right, and in comparision to LN wall spam, these should be rated way higher, for their difficulty. I feel like I don't see anybody talking about this, in a manner that warrants some change. You could be so great at rice, and be gapped by thousands of PP, when compared to an LN player, because of how inflated the star rating is. You can ask anyone in any key count, and I'm 100% sure they will agree almost all of the LN maps, are extremely inflated. I just do not understand why rice would not be buffed, along with LN. Maybe peppy just didn't see the full outcome that was headed towards o!mania SR?

PSA. I absolutely believe LN is fun, but for the star ratings to be that high, for full ln, and ln streams I believe, is absolutely ridiculous. It makes no sense when you compare it to the rating of rice.

I really only believe the good out of the PP rework, was the acc based pp change. That was needed, but in turn not buffing rice, and severely buffing Long notes, has kind of killed the game for me, as I was always a player who strived based on competition for pp between friends, rank is a big part of the game for me, and I'm sure many other players as well, thats where my real fun is. But now it seems like the entire ranking system has been flipped, either you Main long notes, or you don't get ranks. For some of us, this feels like a pretty underwhelming change.

Please please, if you have similiar thoughts on this topic, please leave a comment with anything I might have missed, or just completely looked over, I would love to hear it, and hopefully have this post reach the eyes of who can change this.
Stomiks
I think they underestimated the LN buff, which I personally think is understandable. Irrc, LNs used to have barely any impact on pp, as seen by some big pp farm maps. They could still be tweaking some things here and there, but I guess we just have to wait.
UltraBlack
Honestly, delay in the ranked section as hard maps would be INSANE, like, the way things are introduced made me be a shit on delay and streams because you almost never see maps with it and maps that focus on it. The main thing here is maybe in the ranking criteria involving dump stuff and so.

Taking delay aside, brackets are also not really taken in the sr. Sentimental surge from my view is way harder than Ascension to heaven (although it's hp is higher). Pacific girls the same thing and beyond pretty much the same, imagine having duplicity shade as a 12 freaking stars and beyond a 9, a 9 nine stars dude.

I once heard peppy saying that mania in the lazer update is not gonna have HP anymore and that sounds like people are going to have even more problems with the understanding of star rating.

Maybe there are not a way to have a perfect star rating algorithm for the game, maybe in these cases we should change it manually to something we all agree.

I don't know to be honest how things will run for the minor part of the community (we) that play the game as "tryharders" or people who just look for ranks. Thats how i understood peppy sees this part of the community. There is also the fact that, there are only a few people working on it, last time i saw the difficulty tab in the dev server they were talking once per month or something like that. I honestly don't know how to proceed with this, a survey directly for the top players around 3k-1 would be fine since it is kinda the range were the game gets trully hard to progress but people would be really mad at this due to inclusion and popular opinion. Maybe doing a major project like trascendence is doing for the dans. One thing is fact, we need a voice to make something happen, because osu! is not only about std, and that aplies also for the other gamemodes.
shp
Hoshimegu Mio
Weekly complaint about LNs (1/1)
UltraBlack

shp wrote:

i think the main issue is how insanely overrated LN is. it needs to be nerfed into the ground.

rice SR could be better as well, it doesn't really accurately reflect how hard the chart is most of the time. dense chordjack tends to be very overrated (see pitch fucker and materialize anything).

if you look at bms converts the SR is laughable sometimes. volcanic insane 5 is 6.49* while fiona insane 19 is 5.87*. fiona also happens to be extremely difficult to S, especially without random (i've only done it once) wheras volcanic is a joke.
i'd say sometimes lns should be considered in the map difficulty factor as non existent but since releases exist that creates some discussion...
Topic Starter
Iattractegirls
(UPDATE) I had finally gotten some info on it, there isn't really much development happening with mania apparently. There is some things happening, but there isnt enough people doing work on the mania pp committee atm! They are most definitely aware lol, but they need someone to actually implement those changes, if you weren't aware of this, this is the pp server,
https://discord.gg/aqPCnXu
Peppy sent me this in an email as well in response to an inquiry I had, told me there is work happening on star rating !
https://github.com/ppy/osu/pull/22613

I suppose as much as we want rice to be as op as LN is rn, we just have to be patient ;(. I'm sure it will happen in the future, in due time!