forum

Is it possible to "over practice"?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
15C
I just had a 6 hour session (with a break for breakfast), my fingers hurt a little but im playing the best i can. Is over practicing bad? does it reduce your performance in the long run and does it create bad habits?

I am also warming up to LNS more now due to some people introducing them to me. Once you find the right skin that make them easy to read its actually way relaxing, easier and more fun than rice
Wimpy Cursed
Over practice?
Practice in general is a good thing.
I think if you practice too much, you can cause burnout eventually. But that can also just mean you play too much.
So the question here is: "is it bad to play too much?" essentially.

playing for 6 hours for practice is not bad imo, as long as you are not having any physical injuries.
But again this can cause burnout eventually, so keep watch of that.
Don't be at disappoint if you don't find much improvement from the practice sessions either, that will create a bad mindset. Sometimes you need to let your mind develop what you are doing in order to actually understand the patterns and such.
Stickman92
Why play for 6hrs, when you can play for half the time and get the same dose of effective practice, with less fatigue in the hands and wrist.

Personally I'd say, daily 6hr sessions are bad for long-term progress. If you generate more fatigue then what you can reasonably recover from, then you'll run into reduced performance and/or overuse injuries. Daily 6hr sessions are an easy way to do that.

Just play somewhere between 30min - 3hrs a day.
Stomiks
Everything that you can over do is bad. Just like over exercising, you begin to get more psyhical and mental fatigue, the inability to perform as good as you were at the start, increased risks of injuries, etc. I personally say 3 hours should be your max when playing.
Topic Starter
15C

Stickman92 wrote:

Why play for 6hrs, when you can play for half the time and get the same dose of effective practice, with less fatigue in the hands and wrist.

Personally I'd say, daily 6hr sessions are bad for long-term progress. If you generate more fatigue then what you can reasonably recover from, then you'll run into reduced performance and/or overuse injuries. Daily 6hr sessions are an easy way to do that.

Hah i don't play for 6 hours a day, but today i think i played for something like 10 hours, i usually play 1 - 3 hours a day
Stickman92

luminar wrote:

Stickman92 wrote:

Hah i don't play for 6 hours a day, but today i think i played for something like 10 hours, i usually play 1 - 3 hours a day
Nice, yeah I figured that the 6hr session was an exception. I meant to give an example on how too much practice would affect you in the long-run, not say u did 6 hrs daily.