forum

I'm doing a map for a song with copyright, should i drop it?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fertyn
As the tittle says, i am doing a map, my first map actually, i like the song, but it never came to my mind what happend to songs with copyrigth here in osu!...so i read the guide when i was ready to test it and...well, i'm not an expert..anyways, i'm wondering if i get the approval from the artists it should be fine... but since it's not certain...should i drop it?
Ryu Sei
Songs with not enough rights to use can be removed by artist/copyright holder's request. If it happened after the map is ranked, the map will have no audio file to play. Sometimes, the restriction comes from system rather than manually done, such as when you're trying to upload maps using DJMAX songs; they're automatically denied from submission system.

It's always a good idea to ask to the artists first whether you can use it for osu! or not. Read here for more information: wiki/en/Rules/Content_Usage_Guidelines

Don't get discouraged if the song you wanted to map is not allowed to be used in osu!. There are other songs waiting for you to map out there! If that's a hassle for you, you might want to check Featured Artist section, where these songs are completely allowed to use in osu! for free, without worrying copyrights.
Topic Starter
fertyn

Ryu Sei wrote:

Songs with not enough rights to use can be removed by artist/copyright holder's request. If it happened after the map is ranked, the map will have no audio file to play. Sometimes, the restriction comes from system rather than manually done, such as when you're trying to upload maps using DJMAX songs; they're automatically denied from submission system.

It's always a good idea to ask to the artists first whether you can use it for osu! or not. Read here for more information: wiki/en/Rules/Content_Usage_Guidelines

Don't get discouraged if the song you wanted to map is not allowed to be used in osu!. There are other songs waiting for you to map out there! If that's a hassle for you, you might want to check Featured Artist section, where these songs are completely allowed to use in osu! for free, without worrying copyrights.
Thanks!
I'll see the featured artist page that you mention. I hope i find something similar to what i was doing...even though i know the most close genre to punk in here is metal