forum

why the heck people hate on osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rei et
maybe the star rating? idk
Edgar_Figaro
I think most of the criticism for osu!mania is when comparing it to other VSRG games.

A few of the common complaints I've heard

1. Osu!Mania does not include rates outside of DT & HT
2. Different keymodes all are in the same ranking (they did add sub-ranking for 4k and 7k a while back but your overall osu!mania ranking is based on all scores)
3. There is no penalty for hitting keys when there are no notes present allowing some patterns to be "mashed"
4. The SR system focuses too heavily on NPS and not about how hard certain patterns are to actually play
Zelzatter Zero
not active at the scene much anymore, but i recall some of the mode's main complaints being the SR and no actual anti-mashing mechanic. IIRC there's also release timing but I also saw ppl request to rather making it lenient than removing.
pofnkul
cuz peppy doesn't put much effort into this gamemode
Gamesnake7
All of these are right tbh

Though I have yet to find someone who unironically does that in this time
Pckables
Yeah the SR system is pretty poo.

But whenever I see complaints about Osu!mania, they typically seem to be dated from around 2017. I'd like to think Mania has improved significantly after 6 years.

Though maybe the VSRG community's complaints just have been redirected in another direction recently.
Stomiks
Everyone thinks osu mania is greatly inferior compared to other VSRGs and it's true.
UltraBlack
I'm not sure if people hate mania just for that reasons. Sometimes we just want to hate it all the time and we don't have a good reason. But we can add part of the community and it's mindset and the amount of respect we have for people's personal choices in the game.
AstalFanBoy
depends by what you mean by "people". If you mean like just regular people than could be that they don't find it fun or just don't like being bad at things. If you mean by people in the VSRG community then oh boy what a can of worms to open.

1. Combo Scaling Score - Score is based on your combo. If you want to get a really high score you'll need to full combo. This is far right? Well let's say you're trying to beat your pb. You have a 925k with an accuracy of 98%. Well let's say you get a 98.50% run but you missed a few times so oops! Now you have a 910k score because of those misses. You can tell where I'm getting at here.
2. Rates - The only rates that are free is DT. Any other rates you have to create your own, ask someone, or use a program. Other VSRG games such as etterna and quaver let you change the rate within the game. While lazer does fix this issue it's still dumb that we can only play DT for stuff.
3. SR - SR or star rating is extremely stupid. As pointed above, sr is more based off of nps instead of density and complexity. Tech maps are severely underrated and it's easy to make farm patterns.
4. Mods - A while ago mods were ranked and gave multipliers. Hidden, fade-in, and even flashlight used to give a mutlipliar. This was unfair because some people play with these mods active even without the extra boost. Same with hr. although I don't remember the entire story of hr. So that's why mods don't give extra pp besides DT/NC

there's probably more but I'm just going off the top of my head
heipizhu
Another things people hate is that SV doesn't count toward extra SR It's quite stupid that MWC GF SV1 only has 3.5*.
Gamesnake7

heipizhu wrote:

Another things people hate is that SV doesn't count toward extra SR It's quite stupid that MWC GF SV1 only has 3.5*.
True polyriddim is 3* for both diffs 🗿
AstalFanBoy
it's hard to calculate sv tho with this, maybe a community rating of sorts or a rating from top sv players would be better implemented rather than an algorithm for it. This could also be abused for pp farming too
_Reset

Znow wrote:

it's hard to calculate sv tho with this, maybe a community rating of sorts or a rating from top sv players would be better implemented rather than an algorithm for it. This could also be abused for pp farming too
yeah i was gonna say that a sr system for sv would be cool but if a map calculates at 6* with sv and the svs arent some crazy memory sv pp business is boomin
AstalFanBoy
yeah we would all have to come as a community OR get some of the really respected mappers/BNs to be able to add some sr or smt like that to a map. This could also fix the issue with fake difficulties
heipizhu
So when it comes to SV maps, would it be possible to mark a 'community SR' on the maps so people can know how hard the maps approximately are?
AstalFanBoy
hm something like that could work, i was more thinking that BNs or people higher up could change the actual sr rather than a community sr