forum

[Archived] What's the difference between Stable, Beta, and Cutting Edge (Experimental)?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART
I'm currently using Cutting Edge (Experimental) because someone recommended it to me when I was about to have osu supporter. But when I tested the 3 versions of osu, I have not seen any difference in the gameplay. The only thing is that Cutting Edge has this strange yellow bar at the bottom and a new mode called "target" (I don't know what this mode does but it's unranked so useless I guess)

Should I always stay on Cutting Edge or should I change to Stable or Beta?
Jason X
The difference between the 3 is the release versions, Cutting edge gets updates first, followed by Beta and Stable last.
Cutting Edge can be less stable since updates are literally being tested in this version.
Beta gets the new updates second, it's considered more stable than Cutting Edge, since most initial problems have been fixed.
Stable is "the final product", as it gets the thoroughly tested updates after Beta and Cutting Edge, it's the most stable and most used release version.

I hope this clears up your question.
(How many users use what version can be seen on the changelog page)
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Jason X wrote:

The difference between the 3 is the release versions, Cutting edge gets updates first, followed by Beta and Stable last.
Cutting Edge can be less stable since updates are literally being tested in this version.
Beta gets the new updates second, it's considered more stable than Cutting Edge, since most initial problems have been fixed.
Stable is "the final product", as it gets the thoroughly tested updates after Beta and Cutting Edge, it's the most stable and most used release version.
So that means I should use Stable to avoid bugs or problems? Is it more beneficial to test all updates in advance or wait for the final production?
[ Sebastian ]
How do you download cutting edge?
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

[ Sebastian ] wrote:

How do you download cutting edge?
You have to go to the top and then you will see "Release stream" so you can download one of the 3 versions

Death

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

So that means I should use Stable to avoid bugs or problems? Is it more beneficial to test all updates in advance or wait for the final production?
In truth you'll probably be fine on all three, but there is a slightly elevated possibility that you experience an issue on Cutting Edge that you wouldn't have on Stable. If you're okay with that, then you can keep using Cutting Edge, if not, then don't use it.
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Death wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

In truth you'll probably be fine on all three, but there is a slightly elevated possibility that you experience an issue on Cutting Edge that you wouldn't have on Stable. If you're okay with that, then you can keep using Cutting Edge, if not, then don't use it.
Alright alright
[ Sebastian ]
I have another question. Are you able to make plays in beta and cutting edge that add pp to your profile like stable?
- Marco -

[ Sebastian ] wrote:

I have another question. Are you able to make plays in beta and cutting edge that add pp to your profile like stable?
yes, those count the same way as stable
[ Sebastian ]

- Marco - wrote:

[ Sebastian ] wrote:

yes, those count the same way as stable
Neato