forum

How tense is too tense?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stomiks
So I've been trying to fix my arm tensing habit recently. I had gone through forum threads about "how to stop tensing?" and most users said to just stop it.

So I was wondering "What is the minimum amount of tensing your muscles for it to be bad?"

Can you give it a bit of leeway or should you not just tense your muscles at all? Cause there're just some patterns that I can't hit without using a bit of my arm muscles.
pofnkul
tensing in general is bad and you almost never do it

i'd allow for a bit of leeway if ur like already most of the way through a long map and need a little push

if you need to tense just to 95 or even 96 a file dont play it
midgy

pofnkul wrote:

i'd allow for a bit of leeway if ur like already most of the way through a long map and need a little push

wait you can hit jumptrills without tensing?? am i doing it wrong???
togmea
My 2 cents is really tensing is not the of the world as it depends on the map a lot. Tech/dump maps lend themselves to tensing quite often because the patterns can be difficult to hit from lack of readability or muscle memory, as long as you can recover yourself tensing can sort of be advantageous in getting through a tech map. However if you straight up lock your arms and fingers then that means it is too intense and you're being overloaded, if this is the case then you should downrate it to somewhere more manageable.

Other maps like JS/HS and dense chords you really do want to keep tensing to a minimum, this is because it's a sign that you're unable to keep up with the anchors/longjacks and you'll eventually start missing from falling behind or burnout and destroy your stamina. More lenient JS and light/speed jacks do allow for more tensing however. A special case is jumptrills (but this is really up to your discretion), tensing jumptrills do turn out to be fine in most situation as they are usually used just before a break so you can kinda get away with going all out, just be wary of longer jumptrills that can last too long for your capacity.
pofnkul

midgy wrote:

pofnkul wrote:

wait you can hit jumptrills without tensing?? am i doing it wrong???
wristjack with slightly more effort than normal
weird thing for me is i can not for the life of my hit jumptrills without tensing if they're rollwalls
togmea

pofnkul wrote:

weird thing for me is i can not for the life of my hit jumptrills without tensing if they're rollwalls
different reading maybe? it happens to me as well, sort of like you see the pattern but it takes slightly longer to realise that you should be jumptrilling this. I feel immediately calmer when a roll wall transitions into a normal jumptrill lmao

btw wtf is wristjacking
Gamesnake7
Using your wrists to jack, it tends to be faster than tensing your hands to jack
UltraBlack
Recently i have beem searching the reason why i tense my hands and arms and it is mostly because of the temperature or bad warm. I'll recommend you to NOT force warm when you don't feel like it. There are days where you will not get any kind of good scores. Since i got new headphones my ears got way more warm and i am being able to play hard maps even without warm
togmea

Gamesnake7 wrote:

Using your wrists to jack, it tends to be faster than tensing your hands to jack
so that's why i'm so bad at chordjacks, it's basically impossible for me to wristjack on my laptop keyboard :sku
pofnkul

Gamesnake7 wrote:

wristjack is generally slower than tensing to jack but it comes at the benefit of much better stamina and less chance of injury.

U do need to build proper endurance before u can wristjack properly though so it can be difficult to get into
Topic Starter
Stomiks
aight thanks for the help guys
Hoshimegu Mio
Rule of thumb: Pain is bad.