forum

How to break the skill wall?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bananahira
stuck on 5.5*, heavily inconsistent on chorjacks, LN, speedjacks, DT, every jumpstream above rate x1.4, losing ranks everyday, unable to read speed consistenly.
i've been like this since January, i have fun playing, but seeing me unable to improve as people that just started recently makes me sad.
MegaLazer55
I'm sorry to tell you this my brother, but we are not like the pros of this game. I know it's hard to admit, but it is just simply impossible... We can't do much about it but overcome our fears... JOIN ME, MY BROTHER. Join the dark side, our side full with 7k players! It is our only alternative and our last hope... Change the world with your 7k plays and you will triumph! It is now or never . . .

(or you can you can just git gud at the mechanics that you are not comfortable with, but something similar happened to me, got frustrated and then quitted(I'd run out of stamina and/or my eyes would give up on reading) and now I'm trying to move to 7k... Slowly but surely... Hopefully soon. Sorry for not helping, I just wanted to express my emotions lol)
mystV
honestly i dont know anything that could resolve this problem, but i feel like playing offline can be a little bit helpful. you are comparing yourself to other players and youre also focusing on ranks, you should avoid all of these when it comes to improving in game. when playing offline, youre really just trying to beat your own scores.

instead of just playing chordjacks, ln, speedjacks, try other skillsets such as technicality and so on. im not sure if these will help, but hopefully it will kek. gl
LAIPI321
You did your best
Poptont
rip
Unknown550
the 5 stars ur playing are just easy ur more like a 4. plaey more. i saw u have tendonotis tho so idk

(also play more = play 5 or 6 days for an hour or two)
AstalFanBoy
Based on what you've said I assume jacks and speed is your weakness.

If you play everyday stop. I started facing this problem near the end of my summer break with little to no improvement because I would play constantly. Taking a 2-5 day break will help you a lot more than you think. Breaks are extremely important to improving.

If you haven't already try to push what you can do. Try harder stuff but not too hard. Play stuff besides ranked if you haven't. Loved songs are pretty decent and try other 4K games such as quaver or etterna.

Here's my tips for skillsets.

Jacks: Play chord jack maps. It might seem weird but these can help with jacks and stamina. 2 maps I can recommend are "Break" and "Cyberia lyr3" (razer blades). They'll help you with jacking and stamina. Try pb every now and then and you'll slowly or quickly see progress.

Speed: Try stamina maps. We Luv Lama, Cyber Inductance, and Future Dominators might be a good start. Once you have a decent amount of stamina you could try maps like Mario Paint, Volcanic 0.8 (HT on higher rates depending on your skill), and the one loved map that got loved recently. Can't remember the name but it has rates.

That's all I can think of for now so try doing what I listed and maybe it'll help.

Good luck
UltraBlack
You can't. The "wall"of 5* is probably the longest and maybe the hardest one in the game. Mostly if you are not a player that skillboosts every single day like me. Just play, that's all you can do about it. There's no secret on playing mania. Just play and may have fun while doing it.
AstalFanBoy

UltraBlack wrote:

You can't. The "wall"of 5* is probably the longest and maybe the hardest one in the game. Mostly if you are not a player that skillboosts every single day like me. Just play, that's all you can do about it. There's no secret on playing mania. Just play and may have fun while doing it.
Completely disagree on this. While the "wall of X*" can be subjective I would say that if you keep playing and practice certain skillsets you'll make it past decent amount of time. Especially if you diverse the stuff you play. 5 -> 6 stars wasn't that long for me iirc, it might take longer for others but if you just practice certain skill sets it'll help with others. I was stuck because of stamina so I trained my stamina and managed to boost everything else as a result of it. All it takes is practicing your weakest skill set to pass a wall
pofnkul
wall of x*'s is garbage because stars are completely useless as a difficulty measurement

also i'd argue the biggest wall would be the transition from what many would a good player to what people would say is a cracked player (for reference i know dans are a bad way of difficulty measurement but since i cant really describe a range of difficulty in any other way think gamma to post delta)
Hoshimegu Mio

pofnkul wrote:

wall of x*'s is garbage because stars are completely useless as a difficulty measurement

also i'd argue the biggest wall would be the transition from what many would a good player to what people would say is a cracked player (for reference i know dans are a bad way of difficulty measurement but since i cant really describe a range of difficulty in any other way think gamma to post delta)
Dans are a way better way of difficulty measurement than stars subjectively.

Walls of any sort is quite garbage TBH. Just a mind barrier to prevent you from going any further, an illusion to let you slowly descend into despair, and disintegrate into darkness…
pofnkul
walls are half the reason for me playing this game. It's just the feeling of me breaking through that wall that's just the best for me.
Gamesnake7

pofnkul wrote:

walls are half the reason for me playing this game. It's just the feeling of me breaking through that wall that's just the best for me.
Same tbh breaking a wall down for me is just a lot of fun and I also had one as of now (5th-6th dan)
AstalFanBoy
1st-alpha or beta dan are prob the worst dans in terms of calculating skill but I think gamma-zeta or whatever is after if we have aren't completely bad at calculating skill. Sure they have their flaws but they arent all bad
pofnkul

Znow wrote:

1st-alpha or beta dan are prob the worst dans in terms of calculating skill but I think gamma-zeta or whatever is after if we have aren't completely bad at calculating skill. Sure they have their flaws but they arent all bad
epsilon and zeta are basically jokes

i mean epsilon does have one good play now but its not on the full dan
AstalFanBoy
eh true but there are more serious ones