forum

to make a 'warning' when you're going to leave osu! [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Mastodonio
If the similar topic has been created before,then I am sorry...
I couldn't write all my idea in this topic's name,so I will explain what I am talking about :

when you are on someone's userpage in forum,you can see there sometimes an external link , or you can see sometimes an external link in someone's signature,right? And sometimes you just press it as a silly man and it automatically throws you on other website,and who knows - maybe this website contains viruses?
That's why I think,that when we click on link that leads us on other website,there should appear a warning with a message like these:

" Attention! You are leaving osu! via an external link http://click on me.com that was posted by a user. This site may contain viruses and you should visit this site only if you trust it!

osu! administration does not bear responsibility for any content on the site and highly recommends that you do not enter any information connected to your email, password and cookies on any external sites.
And two options under this message:
"GO TO SITE " or "CLOSE"

I am not an English pro,so maybe I made some grammar mistakes when I wrote this message,so if you guys like this idea,then someone can correct it a bit!
So,what do you think?
Jarby
Frankly, I find those sorts of messages to be insulting to both the user's intelligence and the efficiency of the forum moderation team. We're quite managable now as a somewhat small community and incidents regarding links to dodgy sites are basically nonexistent, so it's unnecessary.
peppy
Websites don't contain viruses generally; downloadable applications do. Either way, all users on the internet should either be smart enough to know how to avoid getting a virus, or have anti-virus software installed.

As for unsuitable links, just report them to an admin and we will deal with them.
mm201
I hate when sites do this. Especially when they require javascript to work.
If you don't know how to read a hyperlink, you shouldn't be using a computer.
Avedas
I haven't seen a website with viruses in years to be honest. Just don't go downloading random stuff.
Topic Starter
Mastodonio

mm201 wrote:

I hate when sites do this. Especially when they require javascript to work.
If you don't know how to read a hyperlink, you shouldn't be using a computer.
Okay,now I am gonna throw my computer in the trash,and then I will kill myself because maybe I don't know how to read a hyperlink. I thought this topic isn't about criticism.
Shiirn
One of the cardinal rules of the internet is that if you're incapable of protecting yourself from viruses/shit/etc, you only get your just desserts.

In less kind terms, if you're stupid enough to get a virus you deserve it and hopefully you will learn from such an experience. The internet is not a place to coddle people.
mm201

Shiirn wrote:

One of the cardinal rules of the internet is that if you're incapable of protecting yourself from viruses/shit/etc, you only get your just desserts.

In less kind terms, if you're stupid enough to get a virus you deserve it and hopefully you will learn from such an experience. The internet is not a place to coddle people.
Not always. All it takes is a drive-by download exploiting an unplugged remote code vulnerability in your browser for a virus to launch itself. Naïveties in the design of the Windows OS (especially XP and prior) can make removing them extremely difficult.
Shiirn

mm201 wrote:

Not always. All it takes is a drive-by download exploiting an unplugged remote code vulnerability in your browser for a virus to launch itself. Naïveties in the design of the Windows OS (especially XP and prior) can make removing them extremely difficult.
in which case the user still borked up, since they're most likely using internet explorer...
Topic Starter
Mastodonio
I can protect my computer from viruses but that is not about me. Most of popular sites have such warnings and if you say such things like - 'you have to be smart enough to avoid viruses' ,then you just don't care about this forum and people here.
I am not here to talk - I just offered an idea. And if you don't like it - then just get out and don't waste your and my time.
If you all don't like it - why is this idea still not denied? This will save my nerves.
mm201
Andrea
Locked by request.