forum

Is it worth learning the osu!lazer editor as a new mapper?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sinsol
Hello

I was wondering if the community feels like the osu!lazer beatmap editor is developed enough for new mappers to be able to learn to make maps of oraround the same quality as they would be able to in the stable editor, with around the same amount of effort.

I recall a document floating around Twitter a few weeks/months ago in which a mapper described all of their grievances with the osu!lazer editor. While I can't find the document, from what I remember, a good portion of these were shortcut changes and pointing out counterintuitive ways in which the editor has progressed. I think that due to new mappers not having the established memory of shortcuts and such on hand, they would have an easier time adapting to the new shortcuts.
WitherMite
I havent been keeping up with lazer, especially not the editor, but I'd wait until it can upload maps tbh.
[[[[[[
i don't think so, the editor still have not enough feature to make a map easily, pls the osu lazer editor seems like it's gonna be like the old one but with some quality of life stuff and cooler graphics so just stick to the current editor
McEndu
In actual usage, there aren't many differences.
billhiboy
Could someone help me with making an OSU map or how to in OSU! lazer
Atroe
Timing is basically impossible using lazer. The waveform feature would be nice if you could actually see it while in the timing section but that's not the case for whatever reason.

So you have to estimate the time in the compose menu, put a timing section in the timing window, then randomly guess the bpm (which you can only type or use a slider even though no one actually needs that it just looks cooler than having a plus and minus i guess) and then you have to go back and forth until it matches the waveform.

Also you can't increase or decrease the time of section in fixed intervals, you can only type them or use the current time. So for perfect sync just go and try to get the current time exactly where the waveform matches using 0.25x speed which is similar to how you have to do it in osu (even though 0.25x speed messes things up there), however it completely defeats the point of the waveform as a tool for timing, it's basically just a check up for whether you're right with the timing.

Atleast it would be but i have yet to find a map where the waveform isn't about 40ms late (literally offset wizard is apparently mistimed), so i'd question whether it's a tool at all.
Last point, if you already have objects placed and want to retime that map, the objects completely block the waveform, so you can't do that either. (edit: if it actually was the case that everything is just 40ms off that would explain why my global offset needs to be at ~-40 but that makes me question why i would be the only one with that problem)

If you just wanna place objects you can do that but at that point, why bother. Most shortcuts seem to be gone and i can't find the features in the top bars (idek if it's just because of my keyboard layout but undo is ctrl+y for me and i can't find a shortcut for redo), so until those features are reimplemented, stable is gonna be far far better for mapping.
Oh and also it's just a slower editor, it has more fps problems, can't handle large amounts of objects, it's just not good at all.

(edit: it's good for gameplay but the editor in its current state is just an empty and broken shell)
Hale-Bopp

Atroe wrote:

Timing is basically impossible using lazer. The waveform feature would be nice if you could actually see it while in the timing section but that's not the case for whatever reason.

So you have to estimate the time in the compose menu, put a timing section in the timing window, then randomly guess the bpm (which you can only type or use a slider even though no one actually needs that it just looks cooler than having a plus and minus i guess) and then you have to go back and forth until it matches the waveform.

Also you can't increase or decrease the time of section in fixed intervals, you can only type them or use the current time. So for perfect sync just go and try to get the current time exactly where the waveform matches using 0.25x speed which is similar to how you have to do it in osu (even though 0.25x speed messes things up there), however it completely defeats the point of the waveform as a tool for timing, it's basically just a check up for whether you're right with the timing.

Atleast it would be but i have yet to find a map where the waveform isn't about 40ms late (literally offset wizard is apparently mistimed), so i'd question whether it's a tool at all.
Last point, if you already have objects placed and want to retime that map, the objects completely block the waveform, so you can't do that either. (edit: if it actually was the case that everything is just 40ms off that would explain why my global offset needs to be at ~-40 but that makes me question why i would be the only one with that problem)

If you just wanna place objects you can do that but at that point, why bother. Most shortcuts seem to be gone and i can't find the features in the top bars (idek if it's just because of my keyboard layout but undo is ctrl+y for me and i can't find a shortcut for redo), so until those features are reimplemented, stable is gonna be far far better for mapping.
Oh and also it's just a slower editor, it has more fps problems, can't handle large amounts of objects, it's just not good at all.

(edit: it's good for gameplay but the editor in its current state is just an empty and broken shell)
I'm also having the same waveform problem, it's absurd that the waveform is completely unusable.
AboxG
When I click on "edit", I've directly the screen to CREATE beatmap and not EDIT. When I save, I can't edit anymore my beatmap with osu!lazer. I can't do anything in editor beacause I can't create timing point and I can't set BPM or... Or anything. The osu!lazer beatmap editor is very very BAD CODED and if I must note osu!lazer I will not give a rate more than 5/10 just for the beatmap editor. I don't know how you can use the editor but for my part I totaly can't

In some, the editor:
- Doesn't work... Very cringe of part of osu!lazer;
- Can't edit, only create;
- Can't save project because it ask to save when I quit and don't do anything, but not when I try to make a map;
- Timing Points and BPM are not setable;
- Hasn't any tutorial how to use but change log of it (doesn't make any sense btw).
sxnshine2020
my pc isnt compatible with lazer anyways so 💀💀💀
AboxG

sxnshine2020 wrote:

my pc isnt compatible with lazer anyways so 💀💀💀
Ah... At least you can play osu! right...?
Corne2Plum3
You shouldn't use lazer now for mapping and keep using stable, for the following reasons:
  1. Lazer doesn't have important features such as sounds in timing, making this process impossible to di correctly.
  2. There's a lot of missing features, such as displaying notes coordinates or being able to make circles patterns.
  3. It's not finished, so some stuff may change anytime.
  4. In rares cases, and it's very rare, you can have differences between stable and lazer.
  5. We don't know but maybe maps made with lazer might be not supported on stable.