forum

[Discussion] What should be the default difficulty name for 7*+ beatmaps to be?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[[[[[[
accidentally create a wall of text here so umm click me?

the wiki wrote:

These are the typical levels of difficulty that a beatmap can fall under. Specific definitions and requirements of each can be found in their respective mode's ranking criteria.
osu!:

Easy
Normal
Hard
Insane
Expert
Expert+

osu!taiko:

Kantan
Futsuu
Muzukashii
Oni
Inner/Ura Oni
Hell Oni

osu!catch:

Cup
Salad
Platter
Rain
Overdose
Overdose+

osu!mania:

Easy
Normal
Hard
Insane
Expert
Expert+

Note how the wiki does not mention the diff name for anything 7* or higher here, and even tho it dosen't seems to be a problem right now (cuz i'm sure like 99% of current mappers wouldn't need to make a 8* star map for their spread), it may become one in the future because of how the game is advancing further and further. Due to this, i feel like we need to find a good default diff name for these super high star map.
sayucat_
Extreme
Extremer
Extremest
Extremest+++
Extreme Pro Max
Topic Starter
[[[[[[

Koyorin-sama wrote:

Extreme
Extremer
Extremest
Extremest+++
Extreme Pro Max
This is the answer
DeletedUser_13957006
if difficulty name "Extreme" is already used on the spread, "Ultra" can replace it as a difficulty name for a 7* map. i have seen some maps using this diffname so i think its ok iguess
Topic Starter
[[[[[[

Aiq wrote:

if difficulty name "Extreme" is already used on the spread, "Ultra" can replace it as a difficulty name for a 7* map. i have seen some maps using this diffname so i think its ok iguess
I thought about something similar to this with stuff like hailie's furioso melodia where the top diff is named "Expert" despite it's difficulty, tho i wouldn't think something like that should be on the wiki as a default diffname

Btw im thinking about sth like the two top diff of beatmapsets/1473006#osu/3023414 would be good for 8 and 10* maps
lewski

dPeace wrote:

doesn't seem to be a problem right now

dPeace wrote:

the game is advancing further and further
so just wait for exactly that to happen and come back to this

coming up with something here just so you have something to put on the wiki is completely backwards; the hard truth is that the subset of mappers that browses this subforum is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, so any conclusion you may reach here that isn't based on stats is gonna be more or less arbitrary

if you want more difficulty levels to be recognised in official documentation, identify those levels in existing mapsets and see if there's an actual trend of different people using similar diffnames for maps of the same level. then you'll have something to actually back up any wiki edits with
epic man 2
if you cant think of a cool difficulty name to use in a 7* map just make up some really long and edgy difficulty name thats the complete size of an essay lol i swear itll help