forum

Tierlisting your own maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
hi!
let's make a feel good post in mapping discussion for once, instead of a help thread or map request thread

one day I thought it would be a good idea, so I recently made a tierlist of my own completed maps without expecting much, and I enjoyed the process. so I wish to bring you through my journey of considerations in making it, the results, and my reflections and thoughts on what I've made so far. if you think it's fun too, then sure, go ahead and make one for yourself.

my goal with this tierlist was to, through an enjoyable activity, (1) look back on my nearing 4 years of mapping, and (2) organize my thoughts on my own maps. how much do I really like them? how good do I really think they are? am I actually a shit mapper all along, and can i find reasons why?... this activity will not be as harsh and objective as "what's the best map?" since we all have different mapping experiences. it will be reflective for the mapper themselves in nature, a sort-of self-analysis, a player-response criticism in the same lines of a reader-response criticism

if you want to try it out yourself, sure. just a few comments:
  1. I hope no shaming on others comes out of this as this is mostly just analyzing our own maps. in the same way, this is not really a promotion of my maps; I don't really care if that happens or not.
  2. feel free to use this post for your own self-reflection hahaha, or you can keep it to yourself
  3. this is better done if you have a considerable amount of completed maps (or mapsets, or topdiffs?) so although this seems fun, newer mappers might honestly struggle in making something substantial out of this. the exception that comes to mind would be an analysis or your practice maps so far. furthermore, having more maps usually means your standards towards yourself will be better.
goodluck to those who've been here 6-10 years, that's quite a lot of images to redownload hehe

(1) considerations on how I'll make the list

general comments
to make a cohesive tierlist of your own maps and not something dangerously terrible as a new mapper trying to rank their first map, we'll have to set some rules for ourselves. that will depend on you as a mapper, the nature of your maps, and other general facts about your style and your experiences thus far. considerations may vary from mapper to mapper

some context, this will be important for further considerations
I usually map 4-5 minute unconventional jpop songs from only 1 artist. so my maps are full of attempts to bring out concepts and flesh them out in the context of the song. there's more to it, but for the purposes of this tierlist, I will leave that out.

"what maps will be included?"
I chose to include only my completed maps. ones I can really call "projects." many of us create really terrible maps at first for practice. of course I won't include those, they didn't even finish.
in my case this turned out to be 19 maps. understandable, since almost none of my maps are 1:30

"criteria?"
I really just used criteria I was comfortable with in ranking my own maps.
however, I challenged myself to look from the view of a player. whether or not I accomplished that... I don't know.
considering the nature of my maps thus far, I considered two things, while in some sense looking from the view of a player:
  1. are the concepts used in the map bold and interesting, and is it distinguishable from my other maps?
  2. is the way the map is executed fun, in the way it is meant to be enjoyed?
in addition, I added descriptions which summarized my feelings of the maps on a tier.

PS. I'm not gonna talk about the rankability of my maps since I don't mean to rank all of them. I'm pushing for some, but not all. if you will include that in your own reflection, that's for you to answer

(2) making the list & results

tierlist was made into a canva link for viewing since I wanted someone else to look at this too. but it could be just made on ms paint or photoshop, doesn't really matter. here it is.

images taken were downloads of the square image on the beatmap listing page when clicking "my maps"

I gave the following descriptions to each tier:
  1. S, if someone asked me what my style was, I'd send them these
  2. A, great ideas, would (personally) replay a lot, partially represents my style
  3. B, good ideas but average, would (personally) replay for the song
  4. C, bad but intentional, would play from time to time
  5. Plagiarized (A tier) (see comments below)
out of 19 maps, S got 2 maps, A got 7 (+1 special from D), B got 7, C got 2, and I gave a special tier for 1 map.

(3) reflections

and other things I noticed about myself. again, this will vary from mapper to mapper.
I'm pretty happy with the results, not ranking everything on S means to me that I still have some level of self-criticism

my S rank maps were ones which I considered both great in concept and enjoyable. those were my maps of Yorushika's Haru Hisagi and a marathon of sections of Miraie & Milkoi's "Mi" Sisters songs. these two maps are actually what I'd consider pivot points in my mapping style, hence the description.

on each of the maps individually
the Mi sisters marathon is actually my 2nd completed map, so it's pretty old. it really just helped me concretize everything I've learned from my practice maps. the trio songs are very different; one was a piano melody, one was a sort of fast light tech song, and the last was a a slow heavy tech song. so I was able to really develop my preferences in mapping because of these 3 vastly different songs.

Haru Hisagi, on the other hand, helped me concretize my ideas on swing maps. although it's my 2nd swing map, the 1st one was more conceptual, but this is more liberal in the nature of the song. so I was really able to push myself in terms of sound prioritization (and sound skipping, actually) in swing maps. this map is also pretty old; it was around late 2020-early 2021? before I took an indefinite break.

I find both of these maps to be really fun, and the best among what I've created so far

on the two maps as a whole, aside from being the type to map only long songs, it made me realize a few things about myself:
  1. contrary to what I believe, sliders and tech seems like a strength on my part. I never really considered myself a slider mapper (see comments on A tier), so for 2 of my favorite maps to be slider-heavy is quite surprising.
  2. hitsounding is fun but tiring. the 2 S-tier maps were completely hitsounded. the marathon was partially keysounded, and I added many unusual hitsounds as well yes, the marathon onii-chan hitsound was intentional. however, it really urges me to change how I hitsound, because I often put custom snares on drum-hitclap and kicks on normal-hitclap when the standard hitsounds are reversed. the sooner I get to practice that change, the better for me. the hitsounds are also where I got my stream hitsounding preferences, mixing up snares and kicks on the stream when there's a drumroll. it happens my other A-tier maps.
  3. I like editing my bgs. yes, those two bgs were edited by me.
  4. my piano instrumental style of mapping has been with me since the start. where I got it from, I have absolutely no idea.
my A rank maps were ones which were great in concept and had a lot of personal replay value. these concepts, in my opinion, were fleshed out more than the B-tier maps. as a summary of it, these were the types of maps those were (excluding the special tier):
  1. 3 concept maps heavily playing around gameplay concepts (angles, curved sliders, and inversed SV)
  2. 2 tech (1 is an instrumental)
  3. 1 pop-rock
  4. 1 special instrumental style which I don't really see others doing, perhaps because no one maps songs of those
for the slider comment from my S-tier maps, I think this classification somewhat shows it. not all are really slider-focused. but I guess almost half were. I am also capable of mapping both calm and intense songs, at least produce ones which I find both decent and enjoyable.

my B rank maps... there's two types of them. either (1) the concept was good for people who know the song but the playability is questionable, or (2) they're average/they're what you would call generic mapping. that's equal to my A rank maps in number, which is interesting as well.

my C rank maps... they're questionable to the average player's mind. there's a clear concept to both, but someone who has no idea of what the lore of the song is will not understand it.

the special map is what I'd consider a special A-tier map because it's execution and concept is great. that concept, however, is plagiarism. again, anyone who doesn't know the lore of the song will not get it. so I rank it as the average player D.

overall, this tierlist made me realize, aside from the points already made above, that:
  1. damn, I was actually a much better mapper back then. my 2 S ranks are maps from a few years ago. 2 recent maps I placed on B tier, and 3 recent maps I placed on A. that's fine with me though, to be honest.
  2. I have too many concept maps, basically majority of the entire first half of the tierlist. understandable, given the nature of the songs and the purpose for which I'm mapping them which I won't expand on here. that's fine, but it seems like I do tire myself too much over those.
in moving forward making my next maps, I now know the way I personally play sliders out, so I can clearly know when I will be comfortable in making a map or not. I should also be careful as I might make some concept maps unplayable (unless that's my intention).

now that I think about it, I usually like to play around with AR. but I never made a comment on it here. AR was even a key factor in Haru Hisagi, and yet no comment. weird.

was I successful in attaining my goal? yeah, I think so
it was fun as well
would I do it again? maybe if I'm still mapping after a few years and my completed maps increase substantially

perhaps others would not consider my S ranks and A ranks there if given a chance to have my tierlist edited. that's fine. this is what I consider relevant to my experiences so far, and so can you
Sophie Twilight
Now this is something really interesting
WitherMite
I'm kinda at a point with my STD mapping where I know how I can improve my maps from looking at other's maps I like, its just a matter of learning how to actually apply that knowledge consistently, so I havent finished a serious map in a very long time (10 months! man...) since I usually just move on to another song if I get to a point where I think I need to remap. So I dont really have anything to put into a tierlist yet, I'm too harsh of a critic and structure is a hell of a speedbump. doesn't help that most music I like is well over 5min.

not much to show yet for ~1 1/2 years of mapping, but by the time I finish something I think it will be worth it, looking back now at the last map I finished compared to what I'm working on, I've really improved quite a bit.

though If I had to pick a favorite finished map of mine, it'd be this one: beatmapsets/1314640#osu/2724506

alot of stuff that couldve been done better, but honestly for when I mapped it I think I did okay.

still proud of the wolf slider art in this map beatmapsets/1364648#osu/2823125 most everything else in it is pretty bad though
Sophie Twilight
Well, honestly what I think matters the most in my mapping technique is how neat the visual presentation and how accurate/natural my mapping at reflecting the song. Gameplay-wise I ignore the playability because some songs just are not meant to be playable, or else they'll feel tame and lackluster.

I really made use of my time to map each of the difficulty in my mapsets, so I'm mostly satisfied with how they turn out to be.

I've mapped for only 2 years, so this tierlist won't be that fulfilling.
I'll keep putting every of my new mapsets in this if I still remember at the said time.

SS Rank (Above 9)
Kobaryo - SUPER REACTOR X (9.9/10)
765PRO ALLSTARS - LEADER!! (9.4/10)
Kobaryo - Social Networking Speedcore (9.3/10)
Kobaryo - Bookmaker (9.3/10)
Irodorimidori - Bokura no FREEDOM DiVE (9.1/10)

S Rank (9-8/10)
Kobaryo - Tool-Assisted Speedcore (TQBF Frame Advance RMX) (8.7/10)
Kobaryo - Glitched Character (8.7/10)
ICDD - Haishita Shoujo wa. (8.5/10)
765 MILLION ALLSTARS - Brand New Theater! (8.1/10)

A Rank (8-6.5/10)
Kobaryo - Theme for Psychopath Justice (7.9/10)
765 MILLION ALLSTARS - UNION!! (7.6/10)

B Rank (6.5-5/10)

C Rank (5-4/10)
halca - Sentimental Crisis (TV Size) (4.3/10)

D Rank (Below 4)
- Kami no Kotoba (Speed up Ver.) (2.6/10)
MrMcMikey22
uii that's gonna take a bit of a while for me to analyze all that dusty stuff that I used to play almost a year ago..(And there was another map that I mapped, but it's in another computer that is super old and super dusty..xP) I could restore that Beatmap later on..have to analyze things and wanna analyze my maps

Anyways here are my map rankings:

THE MILK SONG! beatmapsets/1495699#osu/3066371
Surprinsigly a good beatmap, despite the song being cringe. Bit too easy though, but fair distance snap and it's readable in all parts..Idk there almost nothing I can complain! 8/10!

Policeman beatmapsets/1413177#osu/2915297
WHY TF DID I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO INCREASE THE BPM OF EACH DIFFICULTY!?!?!?
Also every single diff. is chock full of difficulty spikes. Now I'm kinda getting the difficulty spike schtique, but it's still mapped horribly..the jumps look all so awkward and the diff spikes spike up way too high..
It's a terrible map..my favourite diff. here is the Advanced one though that ain't saying much at all, but it was one of my very first creations..xP..(At the very least it's timed correctly technically..) 4/10..

Electroman Adventures beatmapsets/1448803#osu/2979101
It's very hard to read at times..but it has some dang sound effects...And I kinda like the style that did there..however there are flaws... The jumps look sometimes just as awkward as the policeman..Then reverse sliders..everywhere...EVEN IN EASY WHICH IS A BIG PROBLEM! But it's better than policeman.. 6/10

We are Number One beatmapsets/1361598#osu/2822400
It's of course a terrible map but it's the first map I've ever created..and the sliderart is what makes it so special in my heart too, like omg I was godlike at making sliders xD I like this one a LOT! 10/10

Mirror Mind (too boring to have a link LOOOOOOOOOOL xD)
It's free YT no copyright strike safe music!
THAT'S ABOUT IT! 0/10

Panty and Stocking but Stocking is on a diet??? beatmapsets/1705416#osu/3484872
7/10 that's it

Work It beatmapsets/1712680#osu/3501898
SO FAR It's been good, but the timing is to what it needs to be improved!! Did some cool slider art although it gets kinda harder the longer it goes.. It'll be a 8/10 hopefully..

The List beatmapsets/1477391#osu/3039780
Same..although I am doing a 2.0 version of it...
gonna be at least 7,5/10..

?????? Song
I somehow vividly remember this beatmap that I made.. I liked it quite a bit, but there are as always flaws..
The timing can be too suddal for beginners I guess??? It's similar to Electro Adventures, but it is better!
And it's a good song too! Not a whole lot of flaws to be honest in this one!
9/10

And I have another beatmap that I'm about to get busy when I receive feedback, but I won't rate it yet..nahh

That's it I guess..