forum

Severe pain when playing 4* to 5* maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Salim Of Shadow
When i play long maps with a lot of notes i often get a severe pain on my right forearm...And i'm often forced to pause and shake my whole hand and arm since it hurts so bad!!
This has always occured,but yesterday i played the same 4.6 stars map like 6 times in a row trying to get a nice score until i had to stop cause the pain was just too much.
The funny thing is that it's neither my hand nor my finger that hurts,it's my forearm!
It seems to be related to my right medium finger,which i had no problem with in my entire life,so yeah...
I love this game a lot,and it sucks to leave it because of this...
My left arm on the other hand hurts waaaaaaaay less than my right one,i can say that my left one is pretty much fine,whereas my right one hurts and keeps on hurting for 1/2 hours after i'm done playing those maps...
It truly sucks!
I can see the difference from tireness and pain,there are some stamina map that are not even that hard but when i get tired i get slower and my accuracy drops significantly,on the other hand though,when i get that pain,it doesn't really matter if i'm tired or if i can read the patterns,i just have to stop 'cause it's too painful!
I play with wrist down,chair on maximum height,elbows on the chair's arms,wrist on the table and keys well separated (ZX left hand .- right hand).
I've tried all type of switches (linear,lubed linear,low actuation,less heavy spring,tactile etc.),with no luck that is...
Aside from the:"if the game hurts,don't play lol" kind of answers,is this a thing that happens to most players or is it just me?I need to figure that out!
I don't see any need to go check a doctor or anything,since it can be easily resolved by playing something else,i just need to hear other's opinion and see if it's a posture issue or just something that has no fix
Poptont
with your rank and situation i would stop playing anything above 4* and play anything between 3.2* to 3.8*. wrist down positions typically hurt your hands because your hands are forced up and that can tense your forearm (with my experience). try using a wrist rest until you are able to lift your arms when playing and not use the wrist down position. and try not to tense your arms like your about to play a vibro map and tryhard because that can waste your stamina.
Topic Starter
Salim Of Shadow
Mmm i see!
I'll take your advice and expiriment with the posture you've hinted me towards.
Although i do not necessarily agree with stopping playing 4* at all,3.2* are far too easy and 3.8* is the bare minimum of what i consider "challenging and fun" (for my current state that is!) and i've been stuck on those because of this issue for quite a while.
I will try different posture like the one you've suggested!
DeltaNami
Take this from a person who's had serious issues with wrist/hand pain in relation to this game: prioritize your health.

The biggest contributing factors to my issues were bad posture (i.e. keyboard and wrists in a bad position, causing unnecessary strain), playing stuff out of my skill level, and playing for too long. My major pains happened when I was playing every day for at least 2 hours (upwards of 5-6) and was pushing myself on difficult jack and JS files, all while playing with terrible posture. Needless to say, it caused extreme pain - even to the point of hurting at work and at home. I had to quit for a month and a half just to recuperate, and when I came back I could only play 3-4* songs, or else it would flare up again.

So yeah, be careful and follow the advice above as well.
midgy
basically if you feel a burning feeling then it's ok that just means you're building muscle but you should still take the time to stretch once it begins, stretching is very important!
(if you don't know stretches dr.levi has you covered)
if you're feeling any sort of numbness or tingling though just stop playing for the day at least, this is indicative of RSI or carpal tunnel syndrome which can be very bad for your wrists!
Hoshimegu Mio
腱鞘炎 alert!
Topic Starter
Salim Of Shadow
Thanks for the advices,i'll try relaxing more when i'm playing and not get my finger rigids when hard parts come into the songs...That's all i can do aside from stretching to be honest with you guys,thankyou for the advices!Really glad people are here to help others,thx and see you ingame ;)
UltraBlack
They already sad everything but also, take some rest, 1-2 days is enough. If the pain still and hurt more, you already know what you have to do sadly. Keep it up by the way