forum

how do you not get stuck on mapping improvement

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sayucat_
I made this post to collect your thoughts about the mindset you guyss have when it comes to improve in mapping.

I already had 2 ranked maps, and at that time I was quite confident at my mapping skills cuz it didn't really have any issues in ranking my 2nd, however when I tried to do GDs for others, I performed very poorly, at the borderline of rankability. I feel like I'm stuck or sth. And then my later maps get worse and worse, which I do really question myself how did that even happen?

I really appreciate if you guys can share ur opinions and advices for me.
Sophie Twilight
Personally, I just think that I'll map however slow it is as long I can improve the visual without sacrificing gameplay to very terrible extent while also having the best rhythm representing the song.

When I tried to do GD, I'll map even slower (3-4 second per hour) so at least the gameplay is somewhat enjoyable and unique while keeping the visual clean.

tldr in my case: Maps become better when your mapping is slower

(not sure this answers your question)
Topic Starter
sayucat_
(my mapping is both slow and crappy lol)
eusorin
Just map the songs you like. And not think about needing to "improve". If you just do this, you will improve naturally.

I think you are mapping worse because you are scared of mapping badly, causing you to overthink and actually map badly. I think you need to just map whatever comes to your mind.

When I'm listening to a song, I can imagine how I would map it. Usually when I map a song that way, I come to really like the map I've made. When I overthink how I'm going to map a song, I find I usually don't like the map.

I noticed all your maps are really clean and not have any overlaps. Which suggests to me that maybe you are afraid of making your map look messy? I feel you should not worry about things like that. I think you can make a way cooler map if you just not worry about making the map look "nice".

Here's something you can try: listen to a song that you really really like. Then whatever comes to your mind, just map that. I guarantee you will like that map.
Sophie Twilight

eIis wrote:

Just map the songs you like. And not think about needing to "improve". If you just do this, you will improve naturally.

I think you are mapping worse because you are scared of mapping badly, causing you to overthink and actually map badly. I think you need to just map whatever comes to your mind.

When I'm listening to a song, I can imagine how I would map it. Usually when I map a song that way, I come to really like the map I've made. When I overthink how I'm going to map a song, I find I usually don't like the map.

I noticed all your maps are really clean and not have any overlaps. Which suggests to me that maybe you are afraid of making your map look messy? I feel you should not worry about things like that. I think you can make a way cooler map if you just not worry about making the map look "nice".

Here's something you can try: listen to a song that you really really like. Then whatever comes to your mind, just map that. I guarantee you will like that map.
This is the best advice on how to constantly improve while also having endless motivation.

Koyorin-sama wrote:

(my mapping is both slow and crappy lol)
not really, your maps have really natural and nice flow tbh
also neat slidershaping
flouah
try to find the reason why you're not satisfied with the result of your maps, what I personally did to make my mapping become even better is to stop trying to seek for so much consistency cus that was severely limiting what i could do, making some songs be a lot more tedious to map since it p much was a hit or miss anytime i mapped a new thing

having a new pattern library also helped me a lot on making my maps look nice, get some mappers that you enjoy and try to study their maps and get some inspo from them, you could even ask them for feedback if u feel confident enough
Topic Starter
sayucat_
i guess my ultra-structured mapping style limits me severely yea

thx for ur opinions
[[[[[[
i noticed that when i start to learn from maps that are the complete opposite of what you usually map you start to be better at mapping (or judging maps at least). i used to be a clean mapping nerd til the m2p #2 contest started which forced me to analyze undead capulet's maps (tho i didn't submit cuz school). now my mapping in not only the movement side but also the aesthetic side somehow? improved a lot