forum

will mapping evolve past its current state?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
qwt
what new or improvement can come at this point.

to be fair, that's what people thought in 2015.
Eni
Yes, there are amazing maps out there you just have to find them. osu!lazer should also introduce new ways of mapping with the slider body disappearing among other things.
Topic Starter
qwt

Project Railgun wrote:

Yes, there are amazing maps out there you just have to find them. osu!lazer should also introduce new ways of mapping with the slider body disappearing among other things.
hmm
maybe
mapping is boring nowadays, almost everything is similar
Dialect

Reforms Expert wrote:

Project Railgun wrote:

hmm
maybe
mapping is boring nowadays, almost everything is similar
that's what everyone says all the time. nowadays, generic mapping nowadays (not armin/browiec but iljaaz and the like) would've been considered unconventional, and generic mapping from before (most notably delis) is now considered weird to play.
Lemonfaace
Part of the issue I've seen is that the distribution of mappers that get their things ranked are very, very skewed. What you end up with is elites getting whatever they want ranked while everyone else waits forever for their turn.

You can look at the front page and see it for yourself: All but one of the submissions are made by people who have special status or have ranked many, many maps. The one person who's map finally got ranked today was first submitted back in 2018. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen beatmap nominator threads (of which I've posted my maps on as well, admittedly), and the maps that have actually been modded from those threads date way back to last year at least. It's incredibly skewed and it makes you wonder what's going on...
Imaproshaman

Lemonfaace wrote:

Part of the issue I've seen is that the distribution of mappers that get their things ranked are very, very skewed. What you end up with is elites getting whatever they want ranked while everyone else waits forever for their turn.

You can look at the front page and see it for yourself: All but one of the submissions are made by people who have special status or have ranked many, many maps. The one person who's map finally got ranked today was first submitted back in 2018. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen beatmap nominator threads (of which I've posted my maps on as well, admittedly), and the maps that have actually been modded from those threads date way back to last year at least. It's incredibly skewed and it makes you wonder what's going on...
It makes me wonder if it's skewed because it might not be easy to do it any other way? Well known mappers are accepted because they're known for the quality they produce. Maps that take a long time to get ranked when they're submitted by less well known mappers are probably because there's such a large amount of maps being submitted right? I'm not saying it's fair but maybe that's why well known mappers tend to be prioritized first. That, or it's not that feasible to quickly go through the probably hundreds of maps. I think older stuff in the queue should be prioritized first though. Seems weird that someone has to wait a year or 2 to get ranked just because they're not a "I have 200 ranked maps" person.
abraker

Imaproshaman wrote:

Lemonfaace wrote:

It makes me wonder if it's skewed because it might not be easy to do it any other way? Well known mappers are accepted because they're known for the quality they produce. Maps that take a long time to get ranked when they're submitted by less well known mappers are probably because there's such a large amount of maps being submitted right? I'm not saying it's fair but maybe that's why well known mappers tend to be prioritized first. That, or it's not that feasible to quickly go through the probably hundreds of maps. I think older stuff in the queue should be prioritized first though. Seems weird that someone has to wait a year or 2 to get ranked just because they're not a "I have 200 ranked maps" person.
There is no priority queue. You have to understand who decides whether a map gets ranked - BN do. It takes 2 BN to nominate a map for rank. The way that works is a mapper needs to find a BN that is both open and accepts the music style/map style/artist or whatever their preference is, if any. 99% of BN require you to find another BN so they know there is 100% guarantee the map will be nominated (No BN wants to be alone on nominating a map and suffer harsh penalties if map is disqualified).

BN themselves are very critical of maps and are ready to scritinize even the slightest thing wrong. Other times BNs can insist a change based on their subjective preferences. It just happens that well known mappers have most experience in dealing with those shinanigans. But before all that, BNs want to see that others have looked at the map first. This comes either in the form of mods or hypes. You can find modders in modding queue subforum, various discord aervers, or ingame chat. Modders, like BN, have their own preferences and subjective inclinations. Sometimes it's hard to find modders that will take on your map, sometimes it's easy. Depends on factors previously mentioned + whether the map shows promise. There are plenty of shitty maps out there that are beyond repair as far as mods go.

As far as mods go, how well it goes depends on the map. Patterns that follow the meta are biased toward success because most people are familiar with those and know what makes them "correct". Maps that dont follow meta are harder to judge for less experienced modders, so you are left searching for someone who can give feedback. Sufficiently experimental patterns will come under greatest scrutiny. Ultimately, those who don't have motivation to argue their points in multi paragraph essay justifications, or refuse to make changes are the ones who fall out of the ranking process.
Eni
Some of the best mappers in osu! (blixys, Halgoh, etc.) have 0 ranked sets and some mappers even win contests with 0 ranked sets (not just in standard, but in other modes like ctb as well).

Maps that objectively show mapping expertise (such as Hollow Wings' LiSA - ADAMAS or ProfessionalBox's Candyland) sit in the graveyard while new mapper maps get pushed.

Being good at mapping and being good at ranking are 2 different skill sets. Once you get good enough at mapping, the amount of people (and BNs) that you can ask to mod your map becomes less and less since most of them won't be able to mod it properly.

Some mappers avoid this by mapping in a casual style that "anyone can understand". These are the maps that tend to get ranked the most often, although some mappers go above and beyond with their mapping ability.