forum

macOS Updated Wineskin Installation Guide (Rosetta support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
LightReaper_old_1
Neither of the MEGA files work for me, instead I'm greeted by this message on MEGA.

The file you are trying to download is no longer available.
This link is unavailable as the user’s account has been closed for gross violation of MEGA’s Terms of Service.
Pixdum
The latest wineskin download isn't working. It says the account has been closed for violating MEGA's terms of service.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Strange, my account was terminated and they have not given me a specific reason. I'll try and get a new download link up as soon as possible.

Update: I have uploaded the Rosetta Wineskin to Google Drive temporarily. The Rosetta Wineskin can be used on ALL macOS versions.
Queneos
help please i cant open the osu application when i trying to open it it says verify then it says osu! app is damage move to trash but even though i run the command on the terminal it says the same.last time i download using the mega link it can but now with the google drive link it cant how to solve this because i want to play osu on mac
FrostyVortex
What is the code for the intel that you have to enter into terminal i have a copy of the intel one but i need that code
aidswidjaja
klevinn

klevinn wrote:

Thank you for making this. I have been enjoying myself so far. However, is there a way to fix the constant freezing(it's gotten worse over time)? While playing beatmaps, the red bar at the bottom right of the screen frequently spikes up causing me to freeze up, lag, and miss the circles.

Are there any things I can do to stop this? I've tried messing with the settings but to no avail.

I currently play on macOS BigSur.

Here's the output when troubleshooting

Version 11.6 (Build 20G165)
Engine: WS11WineCX64Bit20.0.2
Wineskin 2.9.0.7-rc4
Release: Stable40
Quarantine attribute is absent (bundle)
Quarantine attribute is absent (wrapper)
Execute flag is present
Detect Direct3D is disabled
Compatibility mode is disabled
System Integrity Protection is enabled
Engine version is supported
Razer Synapse is absent
Log file: update.log is absent
No errors in: runtime.log

I have also tried Test Running it however the popup to see the logs never appears

Popups might take a small while after osu! seems to have closed. If they don't appear, kill the osu!, wine-preloader and wineserver processes via Activity Monitor or Force Quit. Don't kill the Wineskin process however.

There's more performance overhead when playing on Mac due to WINE. Assuming that you have reasonable system specs / reasonable amount of HDD space left (for swap), etc. you should try tuning osu! within the in-game performance settings. Performance seems to vary considerably between users so it's hard to narrow it down without knowing your system.

If you believe performance is an issue with the wrapper, could you try downloading a clean wrapper and seeing whether low performance occurs as well on the clean wrapper? If so, then we might need to do more investigation.

You also made a post 4 months ago with a similar issue - community/forums/posts/8169091 - did you change anything between then and now which would have fixed it?

xxevanguixx

xxevanguixx wrote:

Here is my test run using the wineskin inside osu's package, along with the troubleshoot scan using osu!macos Agent, the update didn't make any change, and I can not find a working link for the Rosetta Wineskin in this thread. The one posted by Technocoder led me to mega files but it was no longer available to download.

https://paste.gg/p/anonymous/55b56cbf9b0d43ce90aa222ad3cf63e1

https://paste.gg/p/anonymous/202e2d6e776a43e894ac784becf24e68

aidswidjaja wrote:

xxevanguixx

xxevanguixx wrote:

Hi, I downloaded osu for Catalina along with osu!macOS Agent. Using the troubleshoot, scan, and repair. It worked wonderfully the first time I launched it, updating itself then jumping into osu!. But when I came back to it later in the day, I can't get it to open via the app icon, or the osu!macOS Agent route. I had to delete osu!, redownload, and go through the troubleshooting steps. Then it launched normally once again, updating itself aswell. Is it normal for this issue to happen or not and how do I fix this? As that I'm worried it might happen again and I have to go through the steps every time to play.

I'm using Catalina 10.15.7, Macbook air 2017

Thank you

Firstly, I think you should try out the Rosetta Wineskin since it's much newer. Secondly, could you try updating through osu!macOS Agent (Other > Update). If that fails, could you make a Test Run for when the application doesn't open, and link the contents here (you can use a pastebin like paste.gg)

Test Run steps
  1. Locate your osu! installation.
  2. Right click on it, then select Show Package Contents.
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Click Test Run. If osu! starts successfully (even with glitches), you can then close the program down. Once the program has either closed or crashed, a dialog will pop up asking you whether you want to view Test Run Logs. Click Yes.
  6. Copy the results of your Test Run logs to a pastebin such as paste.gg set to never expire. Then attach the link in a reply to this thread, along with the report from osu!macOS Agent in Step 1.
https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/issues/troubleshooting.html#step-3-generating-a-test-run-through-wineskin

Thanks.

Could you try the following steps:

- while running osu!, close all other applications (including Discord)
- run osu! through cmd (follow the steps under Running through Command Prompt - https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/issues/dotnet.html#running-through-command-prompt) and log the output (if any) in a pastebin
- while osu! is running, change affinity to NOT use core #0 (see steps below) (community/forums/posts/8162613)
- update dotnet (follow the steps under Updating dotnet - https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/issues/dotnet.html#updating-dotnet

Change affinity
1. Right click osu! > Show Package Contents
2. Click Wineskin > Advanced > Tools > Task Manager (taskmgr)
3. Find osu!.exe in the list that appears, then set priority and affinity as desired - see https://superuser.com/a/181947 for info on what this actually means

———

Queneos

Queneos wrote:

help please i cant open the osu application when i trying to open it it says verify then it says osu! app is damage move to trash but even though i run the command on the terminal it says the same.last time i download using the mega link it can but now with the google drive link it cant how to solve this because i want to play osu on mac

The instructions should be quite straightforward :D You can repair through osu!macOS Agent (Troubleshoot > Scan > Repair) or through the following command:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "~/path/to/my/osu\!.app"

where ~/path/to/my/osu\!.app is the local filepath to your osu! installation (keep the quotes in the command).

More info: https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install/silicon.html#step-2-repair-the-wineskin

FrostyVortex

FrostyVortex wrote:

What is the code for the intel that you have to enter into terminal i have a copy of the intel one but i need that code

See above :D

———

On a side note, hopefully the MEGA links get fixed soon :/
NOBLE_COOKIE
The files are very different as to the Youtube tutorial that was recommended to me on the step by step way to get osu to Mac- https://youtu.be/b9RK1z8jXcM

When I was trying to troubleshoot the styles from my guessing because the video is not the same as to what is happening to what I was experiencing, I got this error that says "osu1macOS agent cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware. move to trash" (idk how to put screenshot lol)
aidswidjaja
NOBLE_COOKIE

NOBLE_COOKIE wrote:

The files are very different as to the Youtube tutorial that was recommended to me on the step by step way to get osu to Mac- https://youtu.be/b9RK1z8jXcM

When I was trying to troubleshoot the styles from my guessing because the video is not the same as to what is happening to what I was experiencing, I got this error that says "osu1macOS agent cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware. move to trash" (idk how to put screenshot lol)

You can repair through osu!macOS Agent (Troubleshoot > Scan > Repair) or through the following command:

where ~/path/to/my/osu\!.app is the local filepath to your osu! installation (keep the quotes in the command).

More info: https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install/silicon.html#step-2-repair-the-wineskin
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Mega account has been reinstated. All download links remain the same.

Huge thanks to aidswidjaja for reaching out to them on Twitter. For those wondering, the reason it was taken down is because the latest Intel Wineskin was incorrectly detected as a virus (it does not contain viruses). Hopefully we won't have any more issues in the future. :)
LeiiiWasHere

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

I don't know if it's asked here already, but how do I create the new file?
(Edit: In the latest Wineskin, the only problem is the settings icon not showing up right?)

Not sure what new file you're talking about?

Settings icons don't work, that's correct. If they're important to you, you can enable them using the steps in the original thread, but this will break CJK icons in the process.
Hey! I figured out how to install Osu!, now my only problem is: When I update Osu!, it frequently hangs and sometimes the beatmap's background is entirely black [https://imgur.com/OFnU37X] Any Idea why this is happening?

Could you try running a Test Run while recreating the steps that you take, including when the beatmap background shows up as black.

Test Run steps
Step 3: Generating a Test Run through Wineskin
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Click Test Run. If osu! starts successfully (even with glitches), you can then close the program down. Once the program has either closed or crashed, a dialog will pop up asking you whether you want to view Test Run Logs. Click Yes.
  6. Copy the results of your Test Run logs to a pastebin such as paste.ubuntu.com set to never expire. Then attach the link in a reply to this thread, along with the report from osu!macOS Agent in Step 1.
More info: https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/issues/troubleshooting.html#generating-logs-for-wineskin

What are your computer specs as well?
Well my pc is a potato but I can run Osu! on 300+ stable, my Processor is 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, I have 4 GB of RAM (I want to add more RAM but I don't have time because of classes and I don't know how to do it.), my GPU is AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, and I run macOS High Sierra. I'll try running the Test Run and I hope it gets fixed.

P.S. I don't have any problems running Osu! before the update, after the update it's just plain laggy and sometimes freezes I swear it's not because of my potato PC.
aidswidjaja
LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

(Edit: In the latest Wineskin, the only problem is the settings icon not showing up right?)

Settings icons don't work, that's correct. If they're important to you, you can enable them using the steps in the original thread, but this will break CJK icons in the process.
Hey! I figured out how to install Osu!, now my only problem is: When I update Osu!, it frequently hangs and sometimes the beatmap's background is entirely black [https://imgur.com/OFnU37X] Any Idea why this is happening?

Could you try running a Test Run while recreating the steps that you take, including when the beatmap background shows up as black.

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.
  6. Copy the results of your Test Run logs to a pastebin such as paste.ubuntu.com set to never expire. Then attach the link in a reply to this thread, along with the report from osu!macOS Agent in Step 1.
More info: https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/issues/troubleshooting.html#generating-logs-for-wineskin

Well my pc is a potato but I can run Osu! on 300+ stable, my Processor is 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, I have 4 GB of RAM (I want to add more RAM but I don't have time because of classes and I don't know how to do it.), my GPU is AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, and I run macOS High Sierra. I'll try running the Test Run and I hope it gets fixed.

P.S. I don't have any problems running Osu! before the update, after the update it's just plain laggy and sometimes freezes I swear it's not because of my potato PC.

If you think it's an osu! version update, could you try:

steps
  1. Making a duplicate of your osu wrapper (backups are important since the version you're about to test out doesn't support score submission)
  2. Downloading b20210520.2 from https://osekai.net/snapshots/?version=80
  3. On your duplicated copy, right click > Show Package Contents > drive_c > osu!
  4. Replace osu!.exe with the new version from osekai
  5. Close Finder, then start the wrapper
  6. When the update dialog appears, quickly close it to prevent it from updating (or if you're slow, disable your internet connection)
  7. See whether osu! runs better or not, and run a Test Run

Usually I'm sorta sceptical whenever an issue is attributed to any form of update (OS, executable, etc.), since those regressions are usually quite rare, and usually we would know about any breaking changes (especially OS level ones). But I don't think you're the first user to report an issue with osu! bludging recently on updates, and I haven't had anyone to check whether the issue is in fact isolated to the osu! executable.

In any case, the onus is on us to ensure that our wrapper works with executables, even if they introduce breaking changes, but first I'd like to see if this is in fact caused by a recent osu! update. I doubt it is though.

The Test Run on both your standard install and the older install will also be very useful :)
LeiiiWasHere

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps
  1. Making a duplicate of your osu wrapper (backups are important since the version you're about to test out doesn't support score submission)
  3. On your duplicated copy, right click > Show Package Contents > drive_c > osu!
  6. When the update dialog appears, quickly close it to prevent it from updating (or if you're slow, disable your internet connection)

Usually I'm sorta sceptical whenever an issue is attributed to any form of update (OS, executable, etc.), since those regressions are usually quite rare, and usually we would know about any breaking changes (especially OS level ones). But I don't think you're the first user to report an issue with osu! bludging recently on updates, and I haven't had anyone to check whether the issue is in fact isolated to the osu! executable.

In any case, the onus is on us to ensure that our wrapper works with executables, even if they introduce breaking changes, but first I'd like to see if this is in fact caused by a recent osu! update. I doubt it is though.

The Test Run on both your standard install and the older install will also be very useful :)
Hey! I was not able to test run the old Osu! version because I already updated mine to Halloween, but I was able to get the logs on the test run for the newest Osu! version, here is the link: https://pastebin.com/emYSH6Ka. I'm not gonna lie and say I understand the strings in the log file but everything is there.

edit: I know I can reinstall Osu! again and get the older version but I find it quite troublesome and kind of a hassle, if I get more time this week I'll definitely try to reinstall Osu!
RealTBNRKenny
By the way, I am on Big Sur, does it work to download and play osu?
aidswidjaja
LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

Hey! I was not able to test run the old Osu! version because I already updated mine to Halloween, but I was able to get the logs on the test run for the newest Osu! version, here is the link: https://pastebin.com/emYSH6Ka. I'm not gonna lie and say I understand the strings in the log file but everything is there.

edit: I know I can reinstall Osu! again and get the older version but I find it quite troublesome and kind of a hassle, if I get more time this week I'll definitely try to reinstall Osu!

I only suggested running the older version since I wanted to isolate it to whether it was actually an osu! update that caused it, or if it were something else.

The logging in your Test Run is a lot more than I'd expect from a working install. Specifically, that RtlEncryptMemory/RtlDecryptMemory loop that seems to be plaguing all these performance issues, which I've definitely seen around before. (unrelated). Which wrapper are you using again?

I'll try and take a closer look at the logs either tonight or tomorrow (by editing this post), your patience is very much appreciated :)

TBNRKennyYT

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

Yep, follow the standard install instructions linked in the top post.
RealTBNRKenny

By the way, this happened after I downloaded the osu!intel.zip

What should I do? Do I download the wrong osu! file?
MacOS Version : Big Sur
aidswidjaja
LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

Does osu! still show immense lag on the Halloween update?

Your test run doesn't give me any obvious graphics issues or any runaway processes that would be overloading your computer. If there's an executable-related issue, try changing your osu! version to the last known working version. If you can replicate the same wrapper working with one osu! version, then breaking on another, then we can follow up about that.

If it's not an executable-related issue, then likely there's a misconfiguration with the Wineskin wrapper or your computer. Try adjusting CPU affinity/priority within Wine's task manager.

Change priority/affinity
While osu! is running
3. Find osu!.exe in the list that appears, then set priority and affinity as desired - see https://superuser.com/a/181947 for info on what this actually means

You can experiment with single-core and multi-core. I've been unable to reproduce your issue, so it's good if you try on your system.

If there was anything you changed/re-installed (both in terms of hardware and software) on your Mac which may correlate with osu! not working, then you should let us know as well.

TBNRKenny

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

Firstly, unless the Rosetta version doesn't work, I'd recommend running that version, as you are currently running the slightly-older Intel version. It works for all macOS versions and on both Intel and Apple Silicon based computers.

To fix the error you encountered:

1. Open osu!macOS Agent
2. Click the Troubleshoot tab
3. Click Scan
4. Once the scan is complete, click Repair

If that fails, run the following Terminal command

where ~/path/to/my/osu\!.app is the filepath to your osu! install.

RealTBNRKenny
Do I have to keep file instead of moving to the trash, and then I have to click System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General
aidswidjaja
You shouldn't be moving anything to the trash. Please follow the instructions I provided above with the unzipped file on your Desktop. I also don't think there is any Gatekeeping unlock needed (as you said)
LeiiiWasHere

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

I only suggested running the older version since I wanted to isolate it to whether it was actually an osu! update that caused it, or if it were something else.

The logging in your Test Run is a lot more than I'd expect from a working install. Specifically, that RtlEncryptMemory/RtlDecryptMemory loop that seems to be plaguing all these performance issues, which I've definitely seen around before. (unrelated). Which wrapper are you using again?

I'll try and take a closer look at the logs either tonight or tomorrow (by editing this post), your patience is very much appreciated :)

TBNRKennyYT

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

Hey! If you're asking for the Wineskin Version, it's 'Wineskin 2.9.0.7-rc4'. If that's now what you're looking for, just tell me! :)

Now, regarding the update after the Halloween update, it doesn't seem that laggy anymore. I mean it still lags but not as much as before. It still lags when I open a beatmap (although I think it's natural).

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

Your test run doesn't give me any obvious graphics issues or any runaway processes that would be overloading your computer. If there's an executable-related issue, try changing your osu! version to the last known working version. If you can replicate the same wrapper working with one osu! version, then breaking on another, then we can follow up about that.

If it's not an executable-related issue, then likely there's a misconfiguration with the Wineskin wrapper or your computer. Try adjusting CPU affinity/priority within Wine's task manager.

Change priority/affinity
While osu! is running

You can experiment with single-core and multi-core. I've been unable to reproduce your issue, so it's good if you try on your system.

If there was anything you changed/re-installed (both in terms of hardware and software) on your Mac which may correlate with osu! not working, then you should let us know as well.

TBNRKenny

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

Firstly, unless the Rosetta version doesn't work, I'd recommend running that version, as you are currently running the slightly-older Intel version. It works for all macOS versions and on both Intel and Apple Silicon based computers.

1. Open osu!macOS Agent
3. Click Scan

Hey! It doesn't seem to lag that often anymore! It still lags every now and then but it doesn't last for 10 seconds!

Now to move on to the whole priority/affinity thing. I set the Priority to Realtime, and I selected all CPU cores (CPU 0-3). https://imgur.com/a/nSVx7Fh
aidswidjaja
LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

TBNRKennyYT

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

Hey! If you're asking for the Wineskin Version, it's 'Wineskin 2.9.0.7-rc4'. If that's now what you're looking for, just tell me! :)

Now, regarding the update after the Halloween update, it doesn't seem that laggy anymore. I mean it still lags but not as much as before. It still lags when I open a beatmap (although I think it's natural).

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

Change priority/affinity
While osu! is running

TBNRKenny

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

1. Open osu!macOS Agent
3. Click Scan

Hey! It doesn't seem to lag that often anymore! It still lags every now and then but it doesn't last for 10 seconds!

Now to move on to the whole priority/affinity thing. I set the Priority to Realtime, and I selected all CPU cores (CPU 0-3). https://imgur.com/a/nSVx7Fh

Did the game stop lagging after the Halloween update, or after you changed your priority/affinity?
LeiiiWasHere

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

TBNRKennyYT

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

aidswidjaja wrote:

LeiiiWasHere

LeiiiWasHere wrote:

Test Run steps
  3. Open Wineskin.
  4. Click Advanced.

steps

Change priority/affinity
While osu! is running

TBNRKenny

TBNRKennyYT wrote:

1. Open osu!macOS Agent
3. Click Scan

Did the game stop lagging after the Halloween update, or after you changed your priority/affinity?
It stopped lagging after the Halloween update, When I changed the priority/affinity. It runs even more smoothly. Thanks for the assist!
Aizxy
what do i do if osu takes a long time to open like 10 minutes like so i click the app and wait 10 minutes then it opens this used to happen to me awhile ago before osu got damaged and i couldn't fixed it so i quit osu,

i just downloaded it again and im onn osu catalina 10.15.7 i tried to open osu and it said osu couldn't open because it wasnt't responding, any fixes?

i tried repairing it and it said the same thing.

thanks if anyone responds, if not just have a good day!
aidswidjaja
Aizxy

Aizxy wrote:

what do i do if osu takes a long time to open like 10 minutes like so i click the app and wait 10 minutes then it opens this used to happen to me awhile ago before osu got damaged and i couldn't fixed it so i quit osu,

i just downloaded it again and im onn osu catalina 10.15.7 i tried to open osu and it said osu couldn't open because it wasnt't responding, any fixes?

i tried repairing it and it said the same thing.

thanks if anyone responds, if not just have a good day!

What are your system specifications?

Could you also make sure you have downloaded the latest version of osu!macOS Agent, and repair your Wineskin again?

Report and repair with osu!macOS Agent
  1. Download the latest version of Technocoder's osu!macOS Agent - older versions may have incompatibilities or bugs, especially with newer wrappers.
  2. Once it finishes downloading, open osu!macOS Agent.
  3. If you haven't already done so, click the Select button and browse to osu!.app's location. The text box should display its filepath (e.g ~/Users/firefly/Desktop/osu!.app) and Wine Engine (e.g WS11WineCX64Bit19.0.1-1)
  4. Select the Troubleshoot tab, then click Scan.
  5. After the scan completes, click Repair.
  6. If this doesn't fix your issue, click Copy Report. Copy the contents into a reply to this thread and we'll do our best to help you out! Please don't forget to do a Test Run as outlined in the next step.
If you need any help with any of the steps outlined here, check out https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/issues/troubleshooting.html or feel free to make a reply back here on the forums. Thanks!

____

I've also pushed a major update to osu!mac - the unofficial osu! Wineskin documentation project.

Changelog
- New Common Issues articles
- Single monolithic installation guide
- Added new Performance Troubleshooting section
- Updated BBcode templates
- Updated homepage for clarity
- Transitioning from paste.ubuntu.com to paste.gg
- Transitioning to a clear and concise language that makes it easier for non-native English speakers to follow along

If you're not sure where to start or you're experiencing issues for the first time, osu!mac might already have the answer.
SPM37
have an issue wih osu Intel now, game runs fine and has 3-6 ms average as well as 140-300 fps, however ive noticed times while the game is open wether it is in the main menu, map menu or while playing the screen freezes for about 4-5 seconds before coming back to usual performance, it dosent make the game unplayable but it does bother when you are looking to play the whole map, and even if it finishes and the screen freezes in any part of the map during a break, the mouse tends to hover in one direction in the replay wich looks pretty shady

Also ive comfirmed that yes, Factory restarting the Mac to a previous version that isnt 10.14.6 seems to fix the horrible performance, currently playing on High Sierra 10.13.6
aidswidjaja
SPM37
have an issue wih osu Intel now, game runs fine and has 3-6 ms average as well as 140-300 fps, however ive noticed times while the game is open wether it is in the main menu, map menu or while playing the screen freezes for about 4-5 seconds before coming back to usual performance, it dosent make the game unplayable but it does bother when you are looking to play the whole map, and even if it finishes and the screen freezes in any part of the map during a break, the mouse tends to hover in one direction in the replay wich looks pretty shady

Also ive comfirmed that yes, Factory restarting the Mac to a previous version that isnt 10.14.6 seems to fix the horrible performance, currently playing on High Sierra 10.13.6

I'll ask and see if there are any known issues with 10.14.6 with upstream maintainers. I'm not quite sure why 10.14.6 is such an issue.

Can you try doing a Test Run, but instead of quitting immediately, scroll through the main menu or potentially play a short beatmap, such that you get the freezes logged in the Test Run??

Edit: I've talked with the upstream maintainers including Gcenx who maintains the Wineskin project. There are no known performance issues on 10.14.6 particularly. Considering that you're also experiencing performance issues with both Wineskins, even on 10.13.6, then I suppose that the factory reset has freed up more system resources and allowed the game to run better. Especially as I found the 3ms 140fps number quite surprising as I get considerably lower that on a newer, higher-spec MBP.

As mentioned before, you should perform a Test Run, capturing the main menu and potentially beatmap playing, so that we can analyse the issue from there.

———

While looking into SPM37's issue, I realised that I had made a pretty major error on osu!mac, and incorrectly stated that osu! was DirectX-based. This has now been fixed: see https://github.com/aidswidjaja/osu-mac/issues/8
SPM37
Hi ive made the test run, https://www.mediafire.com/file/2dhwt1hl5g7llmm/Test_Run_2nd_attempt_%2528copied%2529_.txt/file

i apologize for using a site full of ads and viruses lol but idk how else to upload files, anyways i came across some slight stutters/lag spikes trought the session, mainly during the last map as the first map (4Mins) only had like 1 at the end everything else went smoothly, after that i played another map around (3-4-5 mins), i managed to come across said freeze wich completely freezed the screen and when the game came back my hp bar just drained completely, there were times before this test run where whenever the game came back to life after the freeze, the notes would be completely invisible and you could only see the MISS or the Xs, after that part of the chart was done the notes come back

Also my problem with mac os Mojave 10.14.6 idk if i remember well but it was related to the security update labeled (Security update 2020-005) i remembered vaguely so im not sure wether itas 2020-005 or 2021-005 but thats the update that fucked up the games perfomance significantly, have to note that i used a non official download site to download mojave 10.14.1 as i had this problem before and wanted to make sure i was in the right version (by wich i mean not installing 10.14.6 for fear of ruining the game again), after that the updates from the update section of the system preferences were completely normal up until that security update
tieuraerae
hellooo, is it possible to play osu! on m1 MacBook pro running Big Sur MacOS? :o
i tried following the steps but the macOS agent wouldn't open even after clicking "open anyway".
Luby13
I used to play osu every day and I just updated my computer to macOS Catalina and osu won't open... is there any way for me to be able to play it? Does it work on macOS Monterey? Thanks... :(
Topic Starter
Technocoder
I've updated the Wine engine in the Intel and Rosetta Wineskins to CX21.1.0 (big thanks to Gcenx for maintaining the Wineskin project and letting me know of the update). If you are having performance or miscellaneous issues, you may wish to redownload and transfer your data over to the updated Wineskins and see if that helps.

Merry Christmas everyone!
CynTezu225
Got it to work on my new m1 pro :) I had difficulties first but it works now. Transferred all my old beatmaps too. The font just throws me off a bit, but I'm just glad it runs LOL. Thanks for the guide!
aidswidjaja
SPM37

SPM37 wrote:

Hi ive made the test run, https://www.mediafire.com/file/2dhwt1hl5g7llmm/Test_Run_2nd_attempt_%2528copied%2529_.txt/file

i apologize for using a site full of ads and viruses lol but idk how else to upload files, anyways i came across some slight stutters/lag spikes trought the session, mainly during the last map as the first map (4Mins) only had like 1 at the end everything else went smoothly, after that i played another map around (3-4-5 mins), i managed to come across said freeze wich completely freezed the screen and when the game came back my hp bar just drained completely, there were times before this test run where whenever the game came back to life after the freeze, the notes would be completely invisible and you could only see the MISS or the Xs, after that part of the chart was done the notes come back

Also my problem with mac os Mojave 10.14.6 idk if i remember well but it was related to the security update labeled (Security update 2020-005) i remembered vaguely so im not sure wether itas 2020-005 or 2021-005 but thats the update that fucked up the games perfomance significantly, have to note that i used a non official download site to download mojave 10.14.1 as i had this problem before and wanted to make sure i was in the right version (by wich i mean not installing 10.14.6 for fear of ruining the game again), after that the updates from the update section of the system preferences were completely normal up until that security update

In the future, you can use a pastebin such as https://paste.gg. There is nothing that I can see that would indicate any obvious errors or issues. If the problem is related to the macOS Mojave Security Update, then I feel like there could be some other process on your system that could be causing significant issues. I would probably use Activity Monitor to check your system resource usage and see if any program in particular is worsening performance. I would also not download OS updates unofficially (and instead clean re-install).

What are your system specifications?

As previously mentioned, I checked with the Gcenx, the upstream maintainer of Wineskin, and was told there are no known issues affecting that particular macOS version.

I would now try Technocoder's updated Wineskin with the CX21 engine, and monitor for performance issues using the Activity Monitor. Feel free to reply back here though if you're stuck or discover something new :)

tieuraerae

tieuraerae wrote:

hellooo, is it possible to play osu! on m1 MacBook pro running Big Sur MacOS? :o
i tried following the steps but the macOS agent wouldn't open even after clicking "open anyway".

Yes it is possible and the steps are the same as Intel (except you may be prompted to install Rosettta if you haven't already).

Please make sure you have the latest version of osu!macOS Agent downloaded. If that fails, try the following:

Please move osu!macOS Agent to the Desktop. Then open Terminal and type this command and press enter:

~/Desktop/osu\!macOS\ Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/osu\!macOS\ Agent
and then paste the command output here (in a spoiler box please).

Luby13

Luby13 wrote:

I used to play osu every day and I just updated my computer to macOS Catalina and osu won't open... is there any way for me to be able to play it? Does it work on macOS Monterey? Thanks... :(

osu! works on all versions of macOS including Catalina and Monterey. If you are using macOS Catalina 10.15.0 to 10.15.4, you will either need to update to a newer version of macOS (recommended), or disable System Integrity Protection. Instructions on disabling SIP are available here: https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install/install.html

CynTezu225

CynTezu225 wrote:

Got it to work on my new m1 pro :) I had difficulties first but it works now. Transferred all my old beatmaps too. The font just throws me off a bit, but I'm just glad it runs LOL. Thanks for the guide!

What font issues are you having?

Technocoder

Technocoder wrote:

I've updated the Wine engine in the Intel and Rosetta Wineskins to CX21.1.0 (big thanks to Gcenx for maintaining the Wineskin project and letting me know of the update). If you are having performance or miscellaneous issues, you may wish to redownload and transfer your data over to the updated Wineskins and see if that helps.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks for your continued maintenance of the osu! Wineskins :D Happy new year everyone!
Tamagoi
So I was playing Osu just fine initially but after I updated my mac to Monterey 12.01 osu doesn't open for me. After reinstalling osu agent I found out the reason osu wont open is because my wineskin is outdated. Is there a way for me to update it? And can it be done without disabling SIP?
SPM37
not really quite sure how this works but here is another test run in wich i managed to get the freeze to happen without any perfomance spikes (aside from the freeze itself) https://paste.gg/p/anonymous/505ac4256cb14515bca37d98d94fce74

specs

Mac os High sierra 10.13.6

Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Proccesor 1.3Ghz intel core i5

4gb of ram

i fixed the issue for a while by reducing the amount of ram opera GX was consuming, osu runs fine with 5-3ms with 300+ fps for the whole time with opera gx open even with 2 youtube tabs open,altoguh it fixed the issue for a while it seemed to come back to the same freeze issue the next day, ive tried alt tabing from the game as it freezes but it only gets out of the app once the freeze stops otherwise it softlocks me in osu until the freeze stops, however ive noticed that whenever i manage to get out (immidiately after the screen comes back to life) the games CPU ussage (winepreloader) is at 76% and then some seconds later goes back to 40% im not sure if thats how much its supposed to be consuming or if it goes down to 40 because is on the background, but ive checked all of the other programs running and none seeme to be causing an issue or consuming any amount of significant RAM or CPU for osu to freeze momentarly, like i said the game runs with no problems whatsoever is just this freezing, the games music and map keeps playing in the background while this freeze happens, and for a second as the screen comes back to life you can see that the MS go all the way over from 300 to 500 only for it to go down to normal with no problems whatsoever.... (except more freezes during gameplay) i quite confused since it dosent seem to be a direct perfomance issue form either the game (graphically) or my computer, the only program that generates actual spikes that i personally have seen is Discord however the spikes dont go as far as to completely freeze the screen and usually is just because discord is consuming a lot of ram and CPU, have to note that i never have discord open whenever im playing osu.
i once fixed this ina previous install of osu i copied for troubleshooting porpouses but i dont quite remember how, i did install Dotnet 4.8 if im not wrong because i was using a program to download map packs wich required dotnet 4.7 or greater, i also put the version of windows in winecfg to 10 or 7 or XP im not quite sure, after that the game ran with no freezes, altough it seemed to struggle a little perfomance wise (this was with the previous engine prior to the updated one) ive also tried different skins and see if thats the problem but dosent seem like it, all of the skins in my folder seem to affect nothing either
aidswidjaja
SPM37

SPM37 wrote:

not really quite sure how this works but here is another test run in wich i managed to get the freeze to happen without any perfomance spikes (aside from the freeze itself) https://paste.gg/p/anonymous/505ac4256cb14515bca37d98d94fce74

specs

Mac os High sierra 10.13.6

Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Proccesor 1.3Ghz intel core i5

4gb of ram

i fixed the issue for a while by reducing the amount of ram opera GX was consuming, osu runs fine with 5-3ms with 300+ fps for the whole time with opera gx open even with 2 youtube tabs open,altoguh it fixed the issue for a while it seemed to come back to the same freeze issue the next day, ive tried alt tabing from the game as it freezes but it only gets out of the app once the freeze stops otherwise it softlocks me in osu until the freeze stops, however ive noticed that whenever i manage to get out (immidiately after the screen comes back to life) the games CPU ussage (winepreloader) is at 76% and then some seconds later goes back to 40% im not sure if thats how much its supposed to be consuming or if it goes down to 40 because is on the background, but ive checked all of the other programs running and none seeme to be causing an issue or consuming any amount of significant RAM or CPU for osu to freeze momentarly, like i said the game runs with no problems whatsoever is just this freezing, the games music and map keeps playing in the background while this freeze happens, and for a second as the screen comes back to life you can see that the MS go all the way over from 300 to 500 only for it to go down to normal with no problems whatsoever.... (except more freezes during gameplay) i quite confused since it dosent seem to be a direct perfomance issue form either the game (graphically) or my computer, the only program that generates actual spikes that i personally have seen is Discord however the spikes dont go as far as to completely freeze the screen and usually is just because discord is consuming a lot of ram and CPU, have to note that i never have discord open whenever im playing osu.
i once fixed this ina previous install of osu i copied for troubleshooting porpouses but i dont quite remember how, i did install Dotnet 4.8 if im not wrong because i was using a program to download map packs wich required dotnet 4.7 or greater, i also put the version of windows in winecfg to 10 or 7 or XP im not quite sure, after that the game ran with no freezes, altough it seemed to struggle a little perfomance wise (this was with the previous engine prior to the updated one) ive also tried different skins and see if thats the problem but dosent seem like it, all of the skins in my folder seem to affect nothing either

I suspect that it relates to your hardware specifications, especially given that you only have 4 GB of RAM and the fact that reducing Opera GX's RAM improved your performance. CPU usage generally decreases when it goes into background so that's expected behaviour. Generally speaking, for other non-performance related issues we suggest installing dotnet45 through Winetricks, but I don't think installing dotnet48 or 47 will impact the Wineskins negatively. Overall, you could consider installing more RAM into your computer depending what model Mac you have (if it has 4GB then it's probably one of the older models which have RAM expansion).

Keep in mind that on a newer base model MacBook Pro (2016) with 8GB RAM, 1.5GB Iris Graphics and a 6th gen mobile i5, I would not be able to get anywhere close to 300fps with 3-5ms on my system (albeit I have many background processes running and limited hard drive space which means less swap space available). Although it seems like that a momentary fix like updating, closing apps or changing configuration options might initially fix the problem, the fact that they're coming back probably indicates it's a case of the system not being able to keep up, and I'm also mindful that confirmation bias may be at play here too.

Overall, I would probably see if you can turn osu!'s performance down to the absolute minimum, and read through this thread community/forums/topics/774159?n=2 to see if anything can help. If you have access to it, you could even try installing more RAM onto your system.

One more thing I want to ask.
In the last two test run you provided, do you remember how many times exactly the game froze? Because looking through both your test runs once again, I found this:

0070:fixme:wincodecs:jpeg_decoder_get_metadata_blocks stub

filling up the logs, which repeat in a pattern characteristic of your lag freezes. I also don't have these on any of the reference logs here: https://github.com/aidswidjaja/osu-mac/tree/main/logs.

Many thanks for your patience with this issue!
SPM37
Thanks for the response i apreaciate it a lot,

First off just to make things clear i dont believe it has to do with my hardware because ive tested the games perfomance in the past and during that time i never had anny issues, i always had opera gx open in the background for multiplayer downloads sometimes even a bunch of youtube tabs, but then again i could be wrong and my computer might just be getting old but idk about that.

Edit: not to mention the games perfomance is still well normal even with discord on but whenever there is a demanding task consuming ram or cpu it has lag spikes instead, not freezes.

Edit2: yes it freezes without opera or discord open (and i mean fully off not just the window)

second: i believe it freezed around 2-4 or 2-5 times during the testrun, usually after a freeze there was a chance that a follow up freeze would happen right as the other freeze finished, however if i remember correctly this scenario only took place once during the test run

third: ive managed to temporarly fix the issue by turning on the "reduce frame drops" option in the menu however theres times where the game runs fine for like 1 hour and theres times where it straight up crashes during the playtrough after the freeze happens, (freezes do still happen but at a slower pace btw) the max ive gotten the game with no freezes or crashes is between 1:30 to 2 hours "multi and singleplayer included" but to sum it up it freezes slower but there is a chance that the freeze will cause the game to crash
Topic Starter
Technocoder
I've been notified that Discord Rich Presence *does* work on M1 for another game using CX21.1. If there is anyone using an M1 Mac, can they please check this for osu! using the Latest Wineskin (Intel Only) version?

---

Tamagoi wrote:

So I was playing Osu just fine initially but after I updated my mac to Monterey 12.01 osu doesn't open for me. After reinstalling osu agent I found out the reason osu wont open is because my wineskin is outdated. Is there a way for me to update it? And can it be done without disabling SIP?
Which Wineskin are you using...? Can you please paste the report that you get from osu!macOS Agent?
ZXR ANON
Version 12.1 (Build 21C52)
Engine: WS11WineCX64Bit19.0.1-1
Wineskin 2.9.0.6 1
Execute flag is present
Razer Synapse is absent

it just says the file was damaged but I don't know where I went wrong, im on macOS Monterey
aidswidjaja
SPM37

SPM37 wrote:

Thanks for the response i apreaciate it a lot,

First off just to make things clear i dont believe it has to do with my hardware because ive tested the games perfomance in the past and during that time i never had anny issues, i always had opera gx open in the background for multiplayer downloads sometimes even a bunch of youtube tabs, but then again i could be wrong and my computer might just be getting old but idk about that.

Edit: not to mention the games perfomance is still well normal even with discord on but whenever there is a demanding task consuming ram or cpu it has lag spikes instead, not freezes.

Edit2: yes it freezes without opera or discord open (and i mean fully off not just the window)

second: i believe it freezed around 2-4 or 2-5 times during the testrun, usually after a freeze there was a chance that a follow up freeze would happen right as the other freeze finished, however if i remember correctly this scenario only took place once during the test run

third: ive managed to temporarly fix the issue by turning on the "reduce frame drops" option in the menu however theres times where the game runs fine for like 1 hour and theres times where it straight up crashes during the playtrough after the freeze happens, (freezes do still happen but at a slower pace btw) the max ive gotten the game with no freezes or crashes is between 1:30 to 2 hours "multi and singleplayer included" but to sum it up it freezes slower but there is a chance that the freeze will cause the game to crash

Ok, I'll try looking into your issue a bit more, but after everything you've indicated (and as stated above), it does appear to be dependent on the performance of your computer, which I note is quite old. But if there's something we can do to improve the general performance of the Wineskin, then we'll try our best to remedy.

ZXR ANON

ZXR ANON wrote:

Version 12.1 (Build 21C52)
Engine: WS11WineCX64Bit19.0.1-1
Wineskin 2.9.0.6 1
Execute flag is present
Razer Synapse is absent

it just says the file was damaged but I don't know where I went wrong, im on macOS Monterey

Could you please try repairing the Wineskin using osu!macOS Agent. If that fails, please follow the steps here: https://osu-mac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/issues/using-terminal.html
huhridge

Technocoder wrote:

I've been notified that Discord Rich Presence *does* work on M1 for another game using CX21.1. If there is anyone using an M1 Mac, can they please check this for osu! using the Latest Wineskin (Intel Only) version?
I did try it on my m1 macbook, seems to be working. I don't exactly know how to test it, but it does show my status as playing osu.
SPM37
just to give an example of how the freezes look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5LI8LFSRe0 the video is not mine but the freezing is similar to mine except mine is more prolonged and takes more time to manifest

(some added new info in here)
also turning on "reduce fps drops" only increases the lifespan of the game for a bit more, turning this option on will always crash at the 2nd freeze if one happens during the games run time, for example if i were to play and get a freeze with this on, it would freeze and then resume as usual, but at the 2nd freeze that follows the previous one it will always crash no matter what, it dosent crash straight up it only freezes forever and the music keeps going, the game is still runing but the game is stuck in a freezed screen, i can move freely around my pc and even play a a youtube video while the game is freezed in this manner, the only way to get out of it is by forcing the app to quit or sometimes it closes by itself.

without the
"reduce fps drops" option turned on however it just freezes more frecuently but dosent crash
i felt like i had to go more into detail about how this happens since everytime the game freezes i dont notice any abnormalities in my computer as a whole, also seems weird to me that lazer runs just fine in comparison but then again i dont know how accurate it is to compare it to its former version since they are made in a different way + native.

as im writing this im currently stuck in the pause menu completely freezed, i can still hear the background music of my skin but my osu cursor seems to be unresponsive and i can only see my desktop cursor, music has been going on for a while around 1 hour yet for that whole time its been in a freezed state, this also happens with the freeze, the music keeps playing and whenever the freeze stops it resumes to the respective part of the map, by that i mean that it continues the map and skips over the part that the song already passed trough, i believe this is the reason why sometimes the freeze causes the notes to be invisible as it glitches by showing the notes that didnt show up during the freeze all at once in an attempt to keep up with the current part of that song/beatmap,

ive tried a lot of things including the "mypcskucks= 1" as stated some posts above, but that dosent seem to solve the issue in anyway, storyboard, shaders and all of that is disabled, background dim 0%, resolution is 1280x800 with "native resolution option is turned on" i know most of this stuff i have already mentioned before but im trying to make it as detailed as possible in case i missed some tiny detail that was causing this problem, anyways , the wine preloader is currently using 800MB of RAM and 4% of my cpu despite being freezed, ive tride running it on xQuartz, same results, runing it on other windows versions past windows XP makes the game perform badly and even then i remember it still freezes anyways.

i have 3 copies of osu , one is a fresh download another is a fresh download with my files in it, another is one ive been using and modifiyng with windows and stuff and another one wich is the same as the previous one but is the one i use for troubleshooting and the one im currently using to play, they all have the same issue.
show more