forum

My taiko beginner guide

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
chayleaf

Akazukin-MK2 wrote:

Do you plan to make a tutorial map like the one we have for std? as I've seen so far, many players avoid taiko because they don't understand the basics and I believe the main reason is that taiko doesn't have an official tutorial, at least when I did install osu there was only one tutorial for std and with taiko I had to guess, it caused me to develop bad habits and now I'm stuck with a playstyle that at this rate will never get me in the top 5k. I hope new players won't have to go through the same problem.

Actually sure, why not? I think I'll do that.

mulraf wrote:

i'm stuck at the oni part ;_; i notice that my top scores look extremely different to other players around my level. most people have 4* maps with ~90-92% acc, i can hardly pass 4* but oftenly get ~99% 3*s. it just feels like there's a missing link between muzukashii and oni to me.

Players around your rank != players around your level. If you are higher in rank that somebody else, it might mean you are better at patterns but have slightly worse accuracy, it might mean you have god accuracy but can't hit a single oni pattern, it might mean you play a lot of farm maps and that person doesn't. About the link - I started with playing extremely low bpm onis in half time, that worked wonders. You need muscle memory for them - that can only be achieved by playing, however slow you are doing that.

mulraf wrote:

one thing that applies to me is: if i miss 1 note, just 1, it's extremely likely that i will also miss the 10 next notes. is that a common problem or do you guys just get right back into it once you missed? or is there some trick for that?

perhaps it just means you lost concentration or stamina, the latter shouldn't happen at muzukashiis though... i think. I had some muscle pain after long playing sessions but i never lost stamina back then.
WalachCZ00
What exactly do you mean by looking at one spot? Do you mean you can look around it a little bit or are you just looking at one spot without focusing on any of the notes? I have always been looking on the left and plan on changing that but i dont want to learn it wrong again. Sorry for typing here after this thread is closed but i believe it could be specified a bit.
yuda666
I try mods HT, if I want get rank S
Phanalax
The way the Taiko game mode is set up, NF is redundant, isn't it? You never die midway through the song map.
roufou
you die at the end if you don't fill your bar enough
yuki_momoiro722
osu!taiko CONVERT PLAYERS, MARK THEIR LONGEST WORDS OF WISDOM. (゚∀゚)

I appreciate your greatest effort when writing this. Thank you! I'll be giving this out to my fellow players who are interested to play this mode.
Meseta

mulraf wrote:

i'm stuck at the oni part ;_; i notice that my top scores look extremely different to other players around my level. most people have 4* maps with ~90-92% acc, i can hardly pass 4* but oftenly get ~99% 3*s. it just feels like there's a missing link between muzukashii and oni to me.
one thing that applies to me is: if i miss 1 note, just 1, it's extremely likely that i will also miss the 10 next notes. is that a common problem or do you guys just get right back into it once you missed? or is there some trick for that?
me too, oni are hard
Sugar_owo
This whole entire post goes over what i did and what i thought when i started to play taiko. I freaking adore this post. Great job :D
somebody_33
I honestly love taiko because of its enjoyment, HP system, and maps. Great post for beginners/newcomers to get into the mode!
BTW I quit standard for taiko. 4.49k in taiko, 570k in std and decaying.
animeslayergp
takio is in my oppinion the hardest gamemode
Sugar_owo

animesquadgp wrote:

i first found it as one of the hardest to figure out to. The colors are two different things you need to think about and hit stuff on the right time. Once you get the hang of it though, it should be a bit easier :D
somebody_33

Sugar_owo wrote:

animesquadgp wrote:

i first found it as one of the hardest to figure out to. The colors are two different things you need to think about and hit stuff on the right time. Once you get the hang of it though, it should be a bit easier :D
Just get used to the patterns and also your keybinds. Remember which keys correspond to the note. Personally, I use DFJK (KDDK). Once you build that muscle memory you should be fine!
aramew
oh this is a great guide! i wish i had this when i started taiko D:
animeslayergp

somebody_33 wrote:

Sugar_owo wrote:

animesquadgp wrote:

Just get used to the patterns and also your keybinds. Remember which keys correspond to the note. Personally, I use DFJK (KDDK). Once you build that muscle memory you should be fine!
kddk?,so you dont use f and j
aramew

animesquadgp wrote:

somebody_33 wrote:

Sugar_owo wrote:

animesquadgp wrote:

kddk?,so you dont use f and j
KDDK aren't their actual key binds, it stands for "Katu Don Don Katu" which just means their keys are set up as Blue Red Red Blue.

so basically, the way they play is DFJK.

hopefully that makes sense :)
gothicwvlff
maybe sort everything into a spoiler box to avoid clutter ;^^
Subaru-kun
question, is it better to play taiko on keyboard or on an actual plug in taiko drum
animeslayergp
keyboard
XxLividyxX
I dont know how to hit the big notes were it gives you more points
dracobuster

XxLividyxX wrote:

I dont know how to hit the big notes were it gives you more points
All you do is hit both red, or both blue notes at the same time
PangolinPie
This is dumb... but what do kddk and ddkk mean? I know its dons and katas but I dont know what it means?
saderen

PangolinPie wrote:

This is dumb... but what do kddk and ddkk mean? I know its dons and katas but I dont know what it means?
k is the rim part of the drum (outer left/right) and d is for the middle drums (inner left/right)

I came here to ask something else though. I am fairly okay and can pass nearly every 5* map given its not a gimmick map and can pass couple 6* maps too. I have noticed it recently that my play style (ring fingers on the outside, middle fingers on drums) is kinda limiting me on some combos/finishers as I can't hit them quick enough. I tried switching my play style to middle fingers on the outside and index fingers on the drums and I can't really do well except for the finisher which I 100%'d it nearly all the time. So my question is, should I switch my fingers because of biological restraints? Cause I feel like my muscles/nerves don't react well enough when I use middle/ring fingers together.
dracobuster

PangolinPie wrote:

kddk and ddkk are playstyles. Basically the order of notes for the left and right hand respectively. If you play kddk you would have left 2 fingers on kd, and right 2 fingers on dk. If you play ddkk both dons would be on the left hand, and both kats on the right or vice versa.
yuda666
just play with keyboard//T_T
DaSidKay
Besides that, the "correct" way to play taiko is to look at the middle or the right side of the screen
How does one do this? I keep trying but I always end up looking at the left side.