forum

Mentoring

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Draell
Correct me if I'm wrong ... (sorry for bad eng ...)
-------first, I was always a bit against mentoring in the beginning because I thought it was basically copying some style or someone and not learning from it (which is pretty disheartening from the artistic point of view of the thing) and I've been trying to learn to map almost on my own . Most of my maps I don’t send and sometimes when I do some collab or something similar to absorb other people's experience too, but ... I don’t know ... Sometimes I have paranoid thoughts like "my hearing is bad, I don’t I can hear a lot of notes, can I really decide what can be a slider or a note or do the timming like that? "...
-----In general, I have heard from people I know about mentoring and I saw how abrupt a leap in someone's development can be in this process ... But there is something I still don't understand ... How can I get one? is it like an adoption system? he chooses me and if he doesn't choose me ... Or should i go search by one? Is it really necessary or can I become good enough to rank maps only with modding ? It is basically what I would like to know ....

----Ok, that was my question, ty the answers!
the community mentorship program will be open for mentee registration on April 19th,
heres the link community/forums/topics/1273766.
if a mentor is interested in you they will pick you from the list of people that applied. it is never necessary to have a mentor in order to improve at mapping. though having an environment, or person that can help you get into the right mindset and be direct in the problems and strengths of your mapping can aid in your improvement.
Topic Starter
Draell
Wow, I had no idea about that, thank you so much! Wish me luck XD
lewski
The big thing, I guess:

Draell wrote:

Is [mentoring] really necessary?
Nope. You don't need any sort of dedicated mentoring to get good, all you really need is mapping experience and feedback from people who know what they're doing. Exposure to other people's maps and mapping opinions is also great. A mentor will give you feedback and exposure to their views, but you can just as well get those from people without any sort of dedicated mentor-mentee relationship.

The main advantages of having a dedicated mentor are reliability and having a sort of link to the mapping community. In the official Mentorship program, you also have a guarantee that your mentor isn't totally clueless; it's hard to know exactly how knowledgeable people are when you're new, so having that guarantee can be reassuring. However, if you can already get feedback fairly easily, reliability isn't an issue, and if you're already active in a mapping Discord server or something, you don't really need another link to the community, although being in several different groups does broaden your view of mapping.

So, it's really up to you to decide if you want a mentor or not. It's just one possible way to improve. In the end, what matters the most is the effort you put into your own improvement: the people who improve really quickly after getting a mentor generally work hard for that improvement, it's not any sort of mentor magic.

If you decide that you want a mentor, mentee signups for the Mentorship program are opening on the 19th this month. You can also just message mappers whose maps you like or who you generally respect. It may be a good idea to just ask for feedback on maps instead of asking them to mentor you, though; the word "mentor" makes it sound like you're asking for quite a bit of dedication, which may scare people off. A good number of people are totally willing to give feedback to new mappers, so asking for that is good enough.
Topic Starter
Draell
Ty so much! get me luck <3

any good tips to get these opinions about my maps in addition to asking for them on discord servers and forums?
lewski

Draell wrote:

any good tips to get these opinions about my maps in addition to asking for them on discord servers and forums?
dm individual people