forum

How to map like someone else?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
wrn81056398
So like I don't really like my mapping style and I would really like to map like my favourite mappers but I don't know how to ;-;
So could anyone give me like tips or just explain me to map like someone else?
Zelzatter Zero
Try to look at your favorite map, try to replicate their style (pattern, rhythm choice, etc.) but with your own way. Do it again and again with more maps to practice the fundamentals.

tl;dr don't be afraid to take references.
Topic Starter
wrn81056398

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Try to look at your favorite map, try to replicate their style (pattern, rhythm choice, etc.) but with your own way. Do it again and again with more maps to practice the fundamentals.

tl;dr don't be afraid to take references.
Thank you!
somebody_33
Look at a map you really like and inherit its techniques (don't fully copy it!). For me my inspiration is tech maps.
Uniform
tbh I just copy whole patterns and try to make a map as similar to theirs as possible. if I do that enough their structure becomes replicatable.
TheKingHenry

Uniform wrote:

tbh I just copy whole patterns and try to make a map as similar to theirs as possible. if I do that enough their structure becomes replicatable.
perhaps so, but fully copying stuff mightily diminishes how much you actually learn about doing that stuff, thus

somebody_33 wrote:

(don't fully copy it!)
just try to replicate the things by yourself, by hand, and you will learn far more
Asphiee
as what Henry said
Chiru-kun
play their maps, and find what makes them unique to others even if its just a "feeling" thats different
Asphiee

renzthegreat wrote:

play their maps, and find what makes them unique to others even if its just a "feeling" thats different
Oh yes, there's actually some mappers who has a particular preference of how they make their jumps, flow for every object to object, and etc.