forum

Beatmap ettiquette?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mexiris
Hi!
I'm new to mapping on osu! and I was wondering about ettiquette between mappers.
I used a song which was only mapped in CTB and mapped it out in standard, but the timings for the song were done by another, now inactive, user. Now, as I have finished the map, I am interested in releasing/ranking said map, however as they are inactive, I cannot seek out explicit permission to use their timings.

Back when they were active, they responded to another user's post saying that "All time okay to use timings for everyone, also HS if needed", however that was 1. a long time ago, and 2. not a response to me directly.

Would I run into any problems releasing the map using their timings/hitsounds?
Zelzatter Zero
Timing is 100% okay to copy, but I'd extremely recommend you to try timing yourself if the song only has one BPM to master the rhythm sense.

HS, especially keysound, is also okay, as long as you give credit to the one who do that. As they had stated ealier they wouldn't mind if ppl use their timing and HS so why not?
TheKingHenry
In this case, since the person themselves has said it's okay, it is.

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Timing is 100% okay to copy, but I'd extremely recommend you to try timing yourself if the song only has one BPM to master the rhythm sense.
Regarding this comment though, I'd like to add that I wouldn't say timing is "100% okay to copy". Random 1 point 1 offset timing nobody cares about - you should really just do simple stuff like that yourself though - but there are a lot of different kinds of timing, so it's not really black and white. For one, I'd totally want the people copying timing from me to ask me about it, or at least give credit if they do, since I mostly time a bit more complicated things that may actually occasionally take quite some amount of time to do