forum

Some small questions from a newbie in the mapping world

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sir Eden
So i've watched some tutorials on youtube to create beatmaps, and i think that this helped me a lot on creating them. But still i have a bunch of question and i know that the fantastic community of osu would help me out!.
Please note the fact that i'm building a map for the Mania mod and not the classic osu!

1) Basically i'm wondering, how do i really decided what difficulty my beatmap?? at the beginning when you decide the song, you have to set the "difficulty" on it. (ex, easy, medium and bla bla bla) i found myself pretty disoriented in that moment. But still i know that i can change it when i've finished it.

2) There are some quick shortucts or way to move faster to move while mapping? I'm finding moving around the timeline pretty annoying and slow. Expecially when i'm checking if the note is synced in with the note or sound in the background. I'm quiet confortable with the mouse wheel, but i'm wondering if there is the possibility to put a sort of mark with a key binding that would automatically take you to that part (maybe there is but i'm to stupid to find it)

3) When making an easier map or making it more difficult, would it be good if i keep the mainline and take away some notes from it or it's more easy to rebuild the whole song? I'll explain it better. I think that i'm making a pretty difficult map for now, and i'm wondering, since i don't want to upload only one single map but some of them like 3 or 4, it's easier to take the same map and take away some notes or build it from 0?

Thanks a lot if you are going to answer me and help me. Have a nice day!
chowch
hello

1. bit confused on what you mean, do you mean the difficulty settings that you change in the song setup panel? having the ranking criteria on hand can help you decide accurate difficulty settings for your map
  2. yep, there's a ton of shortcuts that can help make mapping a little easier. some of the shortcuts in the shortcut key reference will be more useful than others; i think that every mapper should get to know all of the "object manipulation" shortcuts
  3. this is not recommended, as rhythm is only one facet of a good difficulty spread. simply increasing the complexity of clickable rhythms is not enough to make a more difficult map, and removing objects from a higher difficulty will not make for an easier difficulty.

build each difficulty from 0. at the beginner level, no one is really expecting rankable quality maps, so don't worry about uploading only one diff. make sure you get feedback on it though, as it's an important part in learning. try asking the people in the #modhelp channel in-game once you complete your diff.
have fun mapping
Topic Starter
Sir Eden
1 Thank you it's exactly what I meant! I'll have a more deep look tomorrow when I wake up!

2 thank you for linkin me the shortcut lists!

3 Yeah I though so but I also though that, because it was a different mode from the standard osu, mapping different difficulties on the mania mode would've been easier if I took away or implemented new notes. But as I thought I have to rebuild evrythin from 0

No i'm not expecting to upload a wonderful map at all, this is my first ever map after all and I guess that I have still a lot to learn about mapping. (As you may have noticed by my questions lol). I'll try and use that channel you suggested me tho! Thank you so much for your time and for you answers! I do really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Have a nice day