forum

Question about the "three insanes" rule

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pieguyn
I was wondering, why does this rule exist?

I know it's there to encourage a good difficulty spread, but even if you have 3 insanes, as long as you put easier diffs it should be fine, right? Someone said "why put 3 insanes in the first place", which I don't really get, as doesn't having more of a choice make it more fun?

I don't intend to flame/troll/cause mayhem or anything...I'm just wondering what the reason behind it was.
Firo Prochainezo
I think 2 insanes (not 3) are fine as it is. It gives more gameplay for pros rather than noobs and that kind of sucks per se because they don't have a chance to look more at the map. I don't know if I expressed my opinion right and I'm a little bit asleep.
Zelos

pieguy1372 wrote:

I was wondering, why does this rule exist?

I know it's there to encourage a good difficulty spread, but even if you have 3 insanes, as long as you put easier diffs it should be fine, right? Someone said "why put 3 insanes in the first place", which I don't really get, as doesn't having more of a choice make it more fun?

I don't intend to flame/troll/cause mayhem or anything...I'm just wondering what the reason behind it was.
There really isn't to much of a point to have 3 insane difficulties as it is.

enough said.
GladiOol
There are countless of maps which have 3, some even have 4.
So yeah, it's like a rule BATs don't even know of.

Just screw the rule, BATs rank their maps with 3 or more too, so you can do it too~
James2250

GladiOol wrote:

Just screw the rule, BATs rank their maps with 3 or more too, so you can do it too~
Actually since the rule was enforced very few maps break this rule, you can go ahead and say stuff like this has 3+ insanes but if you actually play it you can see it isn't even close to having 3 'real' insanes. Star rating doesn't mean enough these days to rely on.

The reason you aren't allowed to have more than 2 'actual' insanes is because you are only allowed to have 6 difficulties in total and you need to include a good balance of difficulties so all players can enjoy it. Just putting 1 or 2 really easy difficulties and then a bunch of Insanes doesn't solve the problem as it leaves out a bunch of the osu community. Also as mentioned do you really need more than 2 crazy difficulties on a song anyway?
Soaprman
Want to dodge the 6-difficulty rule? Gather some like-minded mappers and make multiple mapsets!
Lunah_old

James2250 wrote:

stuff like this

the mapset wrote:

iMuffin's Hard
Sallad4ever

James2250 wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

Actually since the rule was enforced very few maps break this rule, you can go ahead and say stuff like this has 3+ insanes but if you actually play it you can see it isn't even close to having 3 'real' insanes. Star rating doesn't mean enough these days to rely on.

The reason you aren't allowed to have more than 2 'actual' insanes is because you are only allowed to have 6 difficulties in total and you need to include a good balance of difficulties so all players can enjoy it. Just putting 1 or 2 really easy difficulties and then a bunch of Insanes doesn't solve the problem as it leaves out a bunch of the osu community. Also as mentioned do you really need more than 2 crazy difficulties on a song anyway?
so ranked mapset should have balanced diff spread while still having the maximum of 6 max diff, r?
how about a map with Easy, Normal, Taiko Muzukashii, then Insane that is truly insane (1/4 stream, 1/4 jump, 1/4 etc)? is this a good spread?
aevv_old

James2250 wrote:

Also as mentioned do you really need more than 2 crazy difficulties on a song anyway?

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/7932

yes we do
Wishy
Why limit the number of diffs/insanes? I understand having to map an easy/medium but...

BTW approved maps with many insanes: http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?l=1&r=6 ... &o=&r=6&q=
Mismagius

aevv wrote:

James2250 wrote:

Also as mentioned do you really need more than 2 crazy difficulties on a song anyway?

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/7932

yes we do

almost every approved map has 9.2+
Topic Starter
pieguyn

James2250 wrote:

The reason you aren't allowed to have more than 2 'actual' insanes is because you are only allowed to have 6 difficulties in total and you need to include a good balance of difficulties so all players can enjoy it. Just putting 1 or 2 really easy difficulties and then a bunch of Insanes doesn't solve the problem as it leaves out a bunch of the osu community.
What about ENHIII? Three insanes and still a good balance... (especially if one of the insanes is harder than the others)

James2250 wrote:

Why not have them? Having a choice makes it more fun IMO.

Wishy22 wrote:

Why limit the number of diffs/insanes? I understand having to map an easy/medium but...
I don't know why there's a diff limit either...
Soaprman
You can have six difficulties in a beatmap. You can also have six pokémon in your party at once. Coincedence? Think about it.
Wishy
Good point.
aevv_old

Blue Dragon wrote:

almost every approved map has 9.2+
because almost every approved map is very good
Lunah_old

aevv wrote:

LuigiHann

Soaprman wrote:

You can have six difficulties in a beatmap. You can also have six pokémon in your party at once. Coincedence? Think about it.
curses you have discovered the real reason
Mismagius

Lunah wrote:

aevv wrote:

you suck at choosing bad approval maps because these two are epic awesome
Hyguys

Blue Dragon wrote:

agreed.
and @topic : meh i don't like having more than 5 dificulties on a map , even 2 diffs with the same level . so meh i idk
Lunah_old

Blue Dragon wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

these two are epic awesome

Blue Dragon wrote:

epic awesome

Krisom

aevv wrote:

And that has to do with overall quality and not diff spread, therefore invalidating your "user rating 9.6" argument.

Lunah wrote:

James2250 wrote:

stuff like this

the mapset wrote:

iMuffin's Hard
Would you like to elaborate and therefore contribute with the discussion?

Wishy22 wrote:

BTW approved maps with many insanes: http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?l=1&r=6 ... &o=&r=6&q=
Approval has never been a part of the 2 insanes limit.

pieguy1372 wrote:

James2250 wrote:

The reason you aren't allowed to have more than 2 'actual' insanes is because you are only allowed to have 6 difficulties in total and you need to include a good balance of difficulties so all players can enjoy it. Just putting 1 or 2 really easy difficulties and then a bunch of Insanes doesn't solve the problem as it leaves out a bunch of the osu community.
What about ENHIII? Three insanes and still a good balance... (especially if one of the insanes is harder than the others)
This rarely happens, most of the mappers don't even bother on making decent spreads like the one you listed. I'm pretty sure that if the spread in that example is something like 1.5, 3.0, 4.3, 4.6, 4.8 and 5.0 it would pass (at least I'd bubble an spread like that...)

pieguy1372 wrote:

James2250 wrote:

Why not have them? Having a choice makes it more fun IMO.
Fun for you, not fun for the rookies. I've been there in the past, awesome song gets a map with a NIIII spread, I played the easiest Insane and it was still to hard for me, went to Normal and was too easy. Again, if the spread is something reasonable, 3 insanes wouldn't hurt.

LuigiHann wrote:

Soaprman wrote:

curses you have discovered the real reason
I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew ittttttttt
Topic Starter
pieguyn

Krisom wrote:

This rarely happens, most of the mappers don't even bother on making decent spreads like the one you listed. I'm pretty sure that if the spread in that example is something like 1.5, 3.0, 4.3, 4.6, 4.8 and 5.0 it would pass (at least I'd bubble an spread like that...)
Since star rating is bugged, I don't know if you mean three Insanes or four diffs ranging from Hard to Insane. If three of them are Insanes (of difficulty adequate for most Insanes nowadays), would it still work?

Krisom wrote:

Fun for you, not fun for the rookies. I've been there in the past, awesome song gets a map with a NIIII spread, I played the easiest Insane and it was still to hard for me, went to Normal and was too easy. Again, if the spread is something reasonable, 3 insanes wouldn't hurt.
I agree in that case a Hard is missing. If one was added, would it be fine?
Krisom

pieguy1372 wrote:

Krisom wrote:

Since star rating is bugged, I don't know if you mean three Insanes or four diffs ranging from Hard to Insane.
1.5 is Easy, 3.0 is a Normal, 4.3 will always be a very easy hard (and labeled as a hard), 4.6 could be a normal hard labeled as an insane or an easy insane, 4.8 will most likely be an easy insane and 5.0 will be an insane or extreme. 4 diffs from easy hard to extreme insane or 3 insanes with a nice spread are both good in this case (imo)

pieguy1372 wrote:

If three of them are Insanes (of difficulty adequate for most Insanes nowadays), would it still work?
Yes, as long as not the 3 of them are on the same level of difficulty. I mean, having the same rhythms and sliderspeed/spacing with just a different arrangement is kinda boring, isn't it?
Just think yourself as a game designer, you want a fun experience for everyone, and that means the diff curve must be reasonable and that you must avoid for that difficulty curve to be too "flat" on a certain difficulty. Making it as linear as possible would be the best.

pieguy1372 wrote:

Krisom wrote:

I agree in that case a Hard is missing. If one was added, would it be fine?
Yes in the case I mentioned above, reasonable spread is the key. Heck, sometimes something labeled as an insane would be fine as long as the map plays as a Hard.

Remember, all what I mentioned avobe is my opinion, not the criteria or something oficial.
Shiirn

Krisom wrote:

4.3 will always be a very easy hard (and labeled as a hard),
aevv_old

Krisom wrote:

aevv wrote:

And that has to do with overall quality and not diff spread, therefore invalidating your "user rating 9.6" argument.
see
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?l=1&r=6 ... &o=&r=6&q=
1 hard on entire first page
people like insanes

edit and only 1 hard on 2nd page too, with all 9.5+
Xgor

aevv wrote:

More like a avrage user can't beat it and trolls are too lazy to troll vote it as he need to wait like 4+ minutes with no-fail to down vote it.
Krisom

aevv wrote:

1 hard on entire first page

edit and only 1 hard on 2nd page too, with all 9.5+
That still has to do with quality and songchoice. (EDIT: Not like the star rating is accurate anyways)

aevv wrote:

people likes insanes
Insane players like most insanes, just as a Normal player likes most normals, an easy player likes most easies and a hard player likes most hards. Ask a hard player to play an insane and he will hate it. Why should we leave out of the playeable spectrum those who are learning? That's lazy

Shiirn wrote:

"OH HEY I THINK I'M PRETTY CLEVER BY SEARCHING AT THE MOST BROKEN RATING AND POSTING AN IMAGE TO AN EXEPTION OF WHAT KRISOM SAID :D :D :D"
awp
this thread is full of trolls, petty arguments, bias, invalid assumptions, and popular opinion (which is only good for showcasing widespread stupidity)

where are the police why don't they crack down on the crime in our streets this is an outrage
Shiirn

awp wrote:

(which is only good for showcasing widespread stupidity)
Fuck yes. This is reason alone to let it continue.
Wishy
Noob players can't really know if a map is good or bad since they haven't played a lot, if they fail on a map or have a hard time passing it (or they can't read it correctly) they gonna bash it, on the other hand people playing insane maps have a somewhat better judgement about what's good based on their own experience, so they don't give maps a 1 because they were just hard for them.
Krisom

awp wrote:

where are the police why don't they crack down on the crime in our streets this is an outrage
You are the police, feel free to close this any time.

Wishy22 wrote:

Noob players can't really know if a map is good or bad since they haven't played a lot, if they fail on a map or have a hard time passing it (or they can't read it correctly) they gonna bash it, on the other hand people playing insane maps have a somewhat better judgement about what's good based on their own experience, so they don't give maps a 1 because they were just hard for them.
Ok then, since they cannot give score to our mapsets because they don't have any sense of judgement let's ignore that spectrum of the players completely, since all we care about is the star rating we get on our maps, right?

Sarcasm is enough to explain how wrong your sentence is I believe.
Gabi

pieguy1372 wrote:

I know it's there to encourage a good difficulty spread, but even if you have 3 insanes, as long as you put easier diffs it should be fine, right? .
So, has anyone answered this question properly yet? So far all i've seen is "You don't need more than 2 insanes" well, Why wouldn't i? Why would it hurt to have more than 2 insanes if your mapset already has a E,N,H? I get more to choose from, and it also leaves a spot open for a guest diff or two.
Sushi
I'd say that having E,N,H,I,I,I is a possibility, but having a real reason to have 3 insanes. Having 3 similar insanes would be stupid, besides, I'M talking about Real insanes, not star rating insanes.

But that's my opinion.

BTW, just wanted to add this, people tend to want what their current level is. Insane players tend to don't give a fuck about other diffs and want only insane diffs. on the other side, beginner player tend to complain that there are not enough easier diffs.

think about that.
Gabi
What is a real reason??? I seriosuly doubt anyone in osu! would map 3 insanes by her/himself. The reasons people would add more insanes diffs to a mapset is most likley because of guest difficulties.

Also i though all of us were talking about "real" insane diffs, people who just look at star rating are baddies.

EDIT: since you just edited your post, i'm going to assume that it wasn't directed towards my question seeing as i already said that the mapset would have a good spread.
Krisom

Gabi wrote:

What is a real reason??? I seriosuly doubt anyone in osu! would map 3 insanes by her/himself. The reasons people would add more insanes diffs to a mapset is most likley because of guest difficulties.

Also i though all of us were talking about "real" insane diffs, people who just look at star rating are baddies.
This is where I come in!

Krisom wrote:

Yes, as long as not the 3 of them are on the same level of difficulty. I mean, having the same rhythms and sliderspeed/spacing with just a different arrangement is kinda boring, isn't it?
Just think yourself as a game designer, you want a fun experience for everyone, and that means the diff curve must be reasonable and that you must avoid for that difficulty curve to be too "flat" on a certain difficulty. Making it as linear as possible would be the best.
This applies for guest diffs too. Just because you are not mapping the whole spread doesn't means that you should ignore what the other mappers are doing. Try to set rules as "Make it in between my insane and my hard", "don't make the sliderspeed as high as my diff", etc. Anything helps I guess
Gabi
Ok i can agree with you to an extent, however, this is NOT the case in my eyes. People aren't making several insane diffs that are alike.

The reason you invite people to make guest difficulties is because

1) A guest mapper will have a complete different style from your own mapping, so in the end, the difficulties won't have the same gameplay. Different hitsounds, different rythm etc... And i seriously doubt people would be bothered by having more diffs, they would probably be more pleased seeing as they might even have a choice to play a difficulty by their favorite mapper.

2) People would rather add their diff to a mapset instead of making their own whole mapset so the same song doesn't get ranked over and over again. (look at bad apple for example)
Krisom

Gabi wrote:

Ok i can agree with you to an extent, however, this is NOT the case in my eyes. People aren't making several insane diffs that are alike.
Maybe, but the case in my eyes is that, even if the insanes are different (though most of them tend to be of the same difficulty gap...) most of them do bad spreads for the sake of fitting more insanes, most of the maps that "break" this rule are of a NIIII spread, and the easiest Insane is in most cases not even a hard. Like, really, stuff like that makes you think the mapper doesn't cares about the spread at all and he'd get his mapset raked with one diff, because he made a so-so normal just to fit the "under 3.0 stars" rule and then added as much insanes as he wanted.

Again, if spread is reasonable, with well constructed difficulties on all levels, everything should be a-ok

This is just guessing by the way and it varies from map to map, I'm not generalizing, I'm stating the worst case scenario, and it has happened before, I cannot read people's minds (that much) so I cannot tell what the mapper was thinking when he made the mapset, but the lack of an easy and a hard diff makes a number of the players go sadface, and that should be avoided.
That's why the rule was enforced in the first place and that's why I don't mind on the number of insanes as long as the spread is reasonable, this of course varies from BAT to BAT and from MAT to MAT, what an "Insane" is also varies a lot and depends on perspective. We are all humans and what someone sees as an Insane can be seen as a Hard by someone else, so putting the limit on 2 and leaving the third spot for an Insane that could be a Hard on someone else's eyes might be wise instead of making 3 really hard Insanes.

4 real insanes is out of the question here I guess, because as the limit of diffs is 6 on any mapset, placing 4 real Insanes would potentially cut the room for an Easy, Normal or Hard on the spread, and we're aiming to avoid that. I know it's 3 Insanes that has been mentioned here but I felt like pointing that out just in case someone was wondering.

I don't disagree on your "why would you invite someone to make a guest diff" thing you mentioned by the way, but I didn't find it relevant to mention here.

Desu
Wishy

Krisom wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Ok then, since they cannot give score to our mapsets because they don't have any sense of judgement let's ignore that spectrum of the players completely, since all we care about is the star rating we get on our maps, right?

Sarcasm is enough to explain how wrong your sentence is I believe.
It's not about ignoring, but just try doing the following:

Make each diff have it's own rating, you'll see how low diff maps have shit score, and insane ones have high ones. People like insanes, they are fun, even if you can't do them and have to use no fail, THEY ARE FUCKING ENTERTAINING. And come on, who here didn't use to play maps they couldn't do using no fail because they were just really fun? (And of course, high rate them)

BTW what the fuck, players who play insane maps are the ones who play the most, with this I mean a low level player doesn't need to have 99 easies per song, since he probably doesn't even play enough to try all of them. Meanwhile people playing insanes plays a lot more, and therefore it's nice to have many insanes to choose from. I think you actually need more insanes instead of low diff maps since everyone gonna play them, eventually, which won't happen with easy maps since good players ain't gonna touch them anymore. Forcing mappers to do some low tier difficulties is ok, but limiting them to 2 insanes doesn't really make any sense. The only reason I find is trying to get mappers do tons of sets of the same song, being forcer to map easy stuff just to get their insane ranked. (With this I mean E M H I I I I I I I I is fine xd)
Krisom

Wishy22 wrote:

Make each diff have it's own rating, you'll see how low diff maps have shit score, and insane ones have high ones. People like insanes, they are fun, even if you can't do them and have to use no fail, THEY ARE FUCKING ENTERTAINING. And come on, who here didn't use to play maps they couldn't do using no fail because they were just really fun? (And of course, high rate them)
You are still assuming that star rating has to do with the diff and not quality and songchoice, wich has been proven wrong countless times. You might think the opposite but it's not that way.

Wishy22 wrote:

BTW what the fuck, players who play insane maps are the ones who play the most, with this I mean a low level player doesn't need to have 99 easies per song, since he probably doesn't even play enough to try all of them.
Why are you takign things to the opposite extreme and saying someone suggested 99 easies per song?

Wishy22 wrote:

Meanwhile people playing insanes plays a lot more, and therefore it's nice to have many insanes to choose from.
Yes, and that's why 2 insanes is ok and 3 is acceptable as the requirements I mentioned above are present in said mapset. Also,

Wishy22 wrote:

I think you actually need more insanes instead of low diff maps since everyone gonna play them, eventually, which won't happen with easy maps since good players ain't gonna touch them anymore.
Same reasoning could be used to say "I think we need a better spread than countless insane diffs since everyone starts being a rookie at some point"

Wishy22 wrote:

Forcing mappers to do some low tier difficulties is ok, but limiting them to 2 insanes doesn't really make any sense.
The only reason I find is trying to get mappers do tons of sets of the same song, being forcer to map easy stuff just to get their insane ranked.
God, this sentence is so wrong in so many ways.
Firstly, getting a map ranked isn't the only thing a mapper should care about, it's meaningless, god if I could go back to my old maps and redo-em to something nicer trust me I would (in fact I might sometime in the future when I have more time), implying that "getting their insane ranked" is important is wrong.
Secondly, I strongly doubt that with a nice spread, any mapper would be able to do more than 3 (real) Insanes that are not strongly alike. Then again you can say "hey let's add guest diffs!". Ok then, then you have cases like this one and this one, where the same song has been ranked more than once, each mapset has tons of guests and also nice spreads. (read my answer to Gabi's post for more info.)
If that quantity and quality of Insane diffs on the same song is not enough for you then you can always rely on asking another mapper to map the same song with another insane.
Finally, limiting to 2 insanes IS reasonable, since more than 2 insanes (and in some cases 3) limits the number of other diffs than a map can have, I'm guessing you know that no ranked mapset can have more than 6 diffs, right?...

Wishy22 wrote:

(With this I mean E M H I I I I I I I I is fine xd)
....I think I guessed wrong

Btw, I advise you to read the rest of the posts I've done, I've alredy covered some stuff you might come up with later and by reading at your post it seems like you have not really payed attention to the discussion.

EDIT: Adding this quote since it's completely right

Sushi wrote:

BTW, just wanted to add this, people tend to want what their current level is. Insane players tend to don't give a fuck about other diffs and want only insane diffs. on the other side, beginner player tend to complain that there are not enough easier diffs.
Wishy

Krisom wrote:

You are still assuming that star rating has to do with the diff and not quality and songchoice, wich has been proven wrong countless times. You might think the opposite but it's not that way.
I'm not. But usually insane maps are marked with an I and not an H.

Why are you takign things to the opposite extreme and saying someone suggested 99 easies per song?
You should try to understand things instead of just reading them. People who is good on this game = plays a lot = plays more maps. People who ISN'T good at this game = plays less time = plays less maps. With this I think we can assume the reason for having more insanes is pretty obvious.

Yes, and that's why 2 insanes is ok and 3 is acceptable as the requirements I mentioned above are present in said mapset. Also,
Why not 4 or more is my question, I mean if you already have E M H why don't just let mappers do 90 insanes? The "max diffs for getting the map ranked is 6" rule is the dumbest thing ever, since you just get people to remap the same map all over again, though it, again, forces people to do easy diffs if they want to get some insane map ranked (which would be the only acceptable reason for making such a limit).

Same reasoning could be used to say "I think we need a better spread than countless insane diffs since everyone starts being a rookie at some point"
Everyone is a rookie at some point and you got already a couple thousands of easy/medium/hard maps to practice and get good, if that's not enough for you to be able to play some insane maps then you are really an exception (of course we are not talking about super insanes).

God, this sentence is so wrong in so many ways.
Firstly, getting a map ranked isn't the only thing a mapper should care about, it's meaningless, god if I could go back to my old maps and redo-em to something nicer trust me I would (in fact I might sometime in the future when I have more time), implying that "getting their insane ranked" is important is wrong.
Secondly, I strongly doubt that with a nice spread, any mapper would be able to do more than 3 (real) Insanes that are not strongly alike. Then again you can say "hey let's add guest diffs!". Ok then, then you have cases like this one and this one, where the same song has been ranked more than once, each mapset has tons of guests and also nice spreads. (read my answer to Gabi's post for more info.)
If that quantity and quality of Insane diffs on the same song is not enough for you then you can always rely on asking another mapper to map the same song with another insane.
Finally, limiting to 2 insanes IS reasonable, since more than 2 insanes (and in some cases 3) limits the number of other diffs than a map can have, I'm guessing you know that no ranked mapset can have more than 6 diffs, right?...
Mappers usually care about getting their maps played (you submit a map to get people play it), what's the best way to get a map played? Get it ranked. It's that or you just want to get your maps ranked because you like achieving that. And yeah people doing guest diffs just takes the opportunity to do the fun stuff and skip mapping a ultra slow song (if they actually like mapping the whole thing why are there guest diffs?). And again the diff limit doesn't really make any sense unless you want to force mappers to make more easy maps.

Btw, I advise you to read the rest of the posts I've done, I've alredy covered some stuff you might come up with later and by reading at your post it seems like you have not really payed attention to the discussion.

Sushi wrote:

No I haven't, and yeah Sushi is right, I just want maps I find fun playing, because I know that there is no need to get tons of easy maps (at least no more than 1 or 2 low diffs per song) since the learning progress in this game is pretty fast until you reach a level where you can play insanes, at least it was for me (and I've had many people tell me they started playing Hard maps since medium/easy ones were just boring).

W/e I'm out of this, whenever I become a mapper (if I ever do) I'll re-read this and see if I think wrong of myself.

Cheers.
Verdisphena
^ why
KRZY
Getting back on the core of the topic: so it is okay to have ENHIII as long as the diff spread is gradual, like Easy-Normal-Hard-Insane-Insane lv.2-lolnoyoucan'tdothisifyou'renotcookiezi yes?
Shiirn

KRZY wrote:

lolnoyoucan'tdothisifyou'renotcookiezi yes?
This kind of difficulty is by-and-large done horribly (especially on songs that don't suit it), but other than that, yes.

The general rule that I feel is that the song's "true difficulty", i.e. notes and patterns logically following the music, should be the most difficult difficulty, regardless of all other rules.
Wishy
Those you-can't-do-this-if-you're-not-Cookiezi maps are usually awesome, most people hate them because they can't do it, and neither do I but they're still great. <3
Shiirn

Wishy22 wrote:

Those you-can't-do-this-if-you're-not-Cookiezi maps are usually awesome
Hahhahahahahahah you funny.
Krisom

Wishy22 wrote:

Krisom wrote:

I'm not. But usually insane maps are marked with an I and not an H.
And that has to do with this...?

Wishy22 wrote:

You should try to understand things instead of just reading them. People who is good on this game = plays a lot = plays more maps. People who ISN'T good at this game = plays less time = plays less maps. With this I think we can assume the reason for having more insanes is pretty obvious.
That's funny, because it seems for me that it's you the one who is not understanding and just posting wihout reading the whole discussion. Also, by the same reasoning in numbers you can also go to the conclusion that there are much more players on the Easy-Hard gap than the Insane gap, even if they play less, the total play count remains similar. Also, why are you assuming so much stuff? Where are your proves? Numbers? Anything? No? Ok.

Wishy22 wrote:

Why not 4 or more is my question, I mean if you already have E M H why don't just let mappers do 90 insanes?
Alredy explained, please read the whole thread. Also, with "M" you mean "N".

Wishy22 wrote:

The "max diffs for getting the map ranked is 6" rule is the dumbest thing ever, since you just get people to remap the same map all over again, though it, again, forces people to do easy diffs if they want to get some insane map ranked (which would be the only acceptable reason for making such a limit).
You are focusing too much on the "play" side of the ranking and not the modding side. With 6 difficulties is VERY probably for any BAT/MAT/Modder to miss at least one gameplay/technicall issue, not counting the time that it takes for said MAT/BAT/Modder to do the modpost AND the time it takes for the mapper to apply all the modposts. Let's say you have a 12 Diffs map ranked by 2 BATs, you know the chances on missing something unrankeable is high, right? The you have to unrank a whole 12 diffs spread just due to 1 diff not being there.
Start modding/mapping and you'll notice how hard is to get a 6 diffs spread modpost done and how many modding queues you won't be able to post on because the limit is usually 3 diffs and 3:30 playtime or under.

Wishy22 wrote:

Everyone is a rookie at some point and you got already a couple thousands of easy/medium/hard maps to practice and get good, if that's not enough for you to be able to play some insane maps then you are really an exception (of course we are not talking about super insanes).
Not everyone leanrs at the same peace. Also, you're forgetting that people have favorite songs. A rookie can come here asking "why does this song just haves HIII?, I wanted to play it D:!" We cannot exclude those who are learning, and doing so would be selfish

Wishy22 wrote:

Mappers usually care about getting their maps played (you submit a map to get people play it), what's the best way to get a map played? Get it ranked. It's that or you just want to get your maps ranked because you like achieving that.
Yes, and that might mean a lot to let yourself be known as a mapper and such, but it still doesn't has anything to do with quality. A mapper should not strive for ranking but for quality, wich is the opposite of what you were assuming.

Wishy22 wrote:

And yeah people doing guest diffs just takes the opportunity to do the fun stuff and skip mapping a ultra slow song (if they actually like mapping the whole thing why are there guest diffs?).
Because sometimes you see someone else mapping a song you wanted to map, but he'll probably get it ranked before you do and you don't like remapping, then ask the mapper for a guest diff. Also, the mapper itself can ask for a guest diff when he lacks a diff or want's for someone to be on their mapset.

Wishy22 wrote:

No I haven't, <----Here is the main problem! and yeah Sushi is right, I just want maps I find fun playing, because I know that there is no need to get tons of easy maps (at least no more than 1 or 2 low diffs per song) since the learning progress in this game is pretty fast until you reach a level where you can play insanes, at least it was for me (and I've had many people tell me they started playing Hard maps since medium/easy ones were just boring).
Again, all you said is subjective, you said it yourself "At least it was for me" "for me", I have some irl friends that suck at rhythm games but love osu!, and they are still on the Normal-Easy gap even if they have been playing for something like 5 months. Just because you learn fast doesn't means everyone does.

Wishy22 wrote:

W/e I'm out of this, whenever I become a mapper (if I ever do) I'll re-read this and see if I think wrong of myself.
Please do

Wishy22 wrote:

Cheers.
Cheers

EDIT:

KRZY wrote:

Getting back on the core of the topic: so it is okay to have ENHIII as long as the diff spread is gradual, like Easy-Normal-Hard-Insane-Insane lv.2-lolnoyoucan'tdothisifyou'renotcookiezi yes?
It varies A LOT from MAT to MAT and from BAT to BAT, but in my eyes it should not be a problem, though that "lolnoyoucan'tdothisifyou'renotcookiezi" diff would probably go for Approval + Ranking
Mismagius

Shiirn wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Those you-can't-do-this-if-you're-not-Cookiezi maps are usually awesome
Hahhahahahahahah you funny.
:|

Also just saying i'm too lazy to read every post, but Wishy's arguments look horrible. Okay, let's make all IIII maps. What about that? Newbies don't even play that much! :D