forum

Is using "drum" sample set for custom sounds on osu std bad?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Himada
So I'm currently hitsounding a map and I've been critisised that using "drum" sampleset to add my custom hitsounds(like an impact reverb kick) is bad. I still don't why it's bad even now. Is it just a personal preference thing or is it actually better to avoid "drum" sampleset and work with just "normal" and "soft" sampleset?
Zelzatter Zero
Using drum sampleset isn't bad at all? Some mappers still use it to hitsound things.

But based on the hs description, I assume you used that for the normal sounds (like drum-hitnormal)? If so then that's definitely bad, since it will either sounds obnoxious or can't hear anything at all.
qwt
It depends on the song

if you're using drum sample sets on let's say a song that support's it than it would be fine

but just cause you use custom overwrites and the song supports those custom overwrites you should not use a drum sampleset because most players don't play with custom overwrites on so it will most likely not sound right at all

based on the description like Zelzatter said what your doing is definitly bad
Asphiee
Yep, depends on the song really.

But it's ideal if you'll use the drum hitsound for a specific instrument or improvise some. Though it's teeny bit hard.
Topic Starter
Himada

Reforms Expert wrote:

It depends on the song

if you're using drum sample sets on let's say a song that support's it than it would be fine

but just cause you use custom overwrites and the song supports those custom overwrites you should not use a drum sampleset because most players don't play with custom overwrites on so it will most likely not sound right at all

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Using drum sampleset isn't bad at all? Some mappers still use it to hitsound things.

But based on the hs description, I assume you used that for the normal sounds (like drum-hitnormal)? If so then that's definitely bad, since it will either sounds obnoxious or can't hear anything at all.
So if I were to lets say use the common heavy kick sample you normally hear on tech maps, isn't it better if I assign them to hitnormals, since if I assign the kick sample to anything else(hitwhistle, hitclap, etc.), won't it cause both the kick sample and the default hitnormal to be played, which can ruin the sound?
Zelzatter Zero

Himada wrote:

Reforms Expert wrote:

It depends on the song

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

So if I were to lets say use the common heavy kick sample you normally hear on tech maps, isn't it better if I assign them to hitnormals, since if I assign the kick sample to anything else(hitwhistle, hitclap, etc.), won't it cause both the kick sample and the default hitnormal to be played, which can ruin the sound?
if it's the normal common kick sound, then it's no problem.

But the hitsound you describe (impact reverb kick) sounds more fitting to a finish sound rather than a normal. I can already imagine how obnoxious it will sound if you put it as hitnormal.
lewski
putting a sound as drum-hitnormal != using that drum-hitnormal for every object though? it won't sound obnoxious at all if you don't make it obnoxious lol

for op: in the future, if you have no idea why someone said something is good or bad, the best way to find out is to ask them. they know their own thoughts better than anyone else. although if you don't think it makes sense, looking for other opinions like this is good too