forum

Are you allowed to offer a month or two of supporter in exchange for mod/guidance?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Protochi
Hello, I really want to learn how to make maps, but I do not know how to mod so I have nothing to offer in return, and I am crushingly shy so I am afraid to ask people in multi to test/review my maps, and currently have no friends in osu aside from my brother, and someone who followed me.

I have watched every video guide I could find on how to map for osu mania, and read every wiki article on mapping for mania, and have played over 1500 different osu mania maps, but I just don't know if I'm doing it right with mapping, I am by no means a rich robot, but I have some spare money to gift a few months of supporter.

The only reason I want to map is for the love of music, I own all of the songs that I want to make maps for because I love music, and I want there to be maps for songs that I love that feel like you're playing along with the music and not just hitting notes for points, but I am far too scared to ask any mappers who made maps that feel like that for guidance because I don't want to be a bother, I only asked one mapper that question and still have nightmares about it to this day even though it has been weeks.

If this is a bad question or not something that should be posted on this forum I am okay with deleting the post.

Thank you for reading

-Protochi
WitherMite
look in the modding queues for this, you dont need to give anyone anything, Normal Mods (NM) are the default way to get advice and require absolutely nothing in return, yes mod for mods (M4M) are usually given higher priority, but people know that new mappers exist and wont give you a hard time for not being able to ask for M4M, just post in some queues and ask for NM. Also, make sure you read the rules of the queue and dont post in closed queues.
Asphiee
Hmmm I was cool with being a mentor for someone but it's osu!mania map so I can't really help you with that. There are mappers there, try asking someone in osu mania channel in-game or in #modhelp.
Dialect
don't use multis, use #modreqs or modding queues. i don't suggest using #modhelp (as a modhelp regular) because we will actually go off on you

i use multis to plug my own maps tho, and then i get kicked out for hosting "unplayable garbage"
Asphiee

Li Syaoran wrote:

i use multis to plug my own maps tho, and then i get kicked out for hosting "unplayable garbage"
"unplayable garbage" every mapper can relate :'D
Uniform

Asphyre wrote:

Li Syaoran wrote:

"unplayable garbage" every mapper can relate :'D
movement mappers cry
TheKingHenry

Li Syaoran wrote:

same but since I can't really play most of em I just slap HT on for those ultimate 10+ min power moves

not really please don't do this kinda stuff in multi people

anyways on topic,

Protochi wrote:

I only asked one mapper that question and still have nightmares about it to this day even though it has been weeks.
Your post doesn't provide any details so not sure which part went south, but here's some thoughts:

In case it was him completely stomping your work, don't worry too much about that. You're new mapper and that means you will likely be doing bunch of mistakes in your mapping, and people who are quite straightforward in their words will note those fairly sharply too; just don't take that kind of stuff personally. Learn from it and move on.

In case he just flat out strongly refused to guide, rather than looking at your maps in anyway, then just try to look for help elsewhere. Regular mods are always an option, and in general there are quite a few things mentioned in this thread already. On the other hand, kind of related to this one, if he was just generally douche for no reason, you should just ignore that and look elsewhere too. There's difference between critique, flat out or not, and being douche about it.

Finally, you might want to also look at the situation in retrospect, just to see if you could improve your own approach to it. For example, in case you went on about it in a way that easily ticks people off, look in the mirror is more important than anything else. Not saying this was the case, and it usually isn't, but just in case. In fact, it's not even only about "not fucking up" this kind of thing, thinking on how you approach the issue can increase your chances in general, especially if what you're asking of someone is more than just a quickie look at a map or such. This mainly when actually interacting with people; when hitting up modding queues or similar mentioned in this thread, just complying with presented rules is the king.

Well, good luck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Topic Starter
Protochi

TheKingHenry wrote:

Li Syaoran wrote:

same but since I can't really play most of em I just slap HT on for those ultimate 10+ min power moves

anyways on topic,

Protochi wrote:

I only asked one mapper that question and still have nightmares about it to this day even though it has been weeks.
Your post doesn't provide any details so not sure which part went south, but here's some thoughts:

In case it was him completely stomping your work, don't worry too much about that. You're new mapper and that means you will likely be doing bunch of mistakes in your mapping, and people who are quite straightforward in their words will note those fairly sharply too; just don't take that kind of stuff personally. Learn from it and move on.

In case he just flat out strongly refused to guide, rather than looking at your maps in anyway, then just try to look for help elsewhere. Regular mods are always an option, and in general there are quite a few things mentioned in this thread already. On the other hand, kind of related to this one, if he was just generally douche for no reason, you should just ignore that and look elsewhere too. There's difference between critique, flat out or not, and being douche about it.

Finally, you might want to also look at the situation in retrospect, just to see if you could improve your own approach to it. For example, in case you went on about it in a way that easily ticks people off, look in the mirror is more important than anything else. Not saying this was the case, and it usually isn't, but just in case. In fact, it's not even only about "not fucking up" this kind of thing, thinking on how you approach the issue can increase your chances in general, especially if what you're asking of someone is more than just a quickie look at a map or such. This mainly when actually interacting with people; when hitting up modding queues or similar mentioned in this thread, just complying with presented rules is the king.

This is absolutely going to be the stupidest thing you've ever heard, but nothing went south aside from me feeling a lot of regret because I messaged them w/o context, they never said anything and I haven't messaged them since, but I just felt like I was being a pest for messaging them.
WitherMite

Protochi wrote:

TheKingHenry wrote:

Li Syaoran wrote:

anyways on topic,

Protochi wrote:

This is absolutely going to be the stupidest thing you've ever heard, but nothing went south aside from me feeling a lot of regret because I messaged them w/o context, they never said anything and I haven't messaged them since, but I just felt like I was being a pest for messaging them.

That's understandable, at least you got the courage to message someone, that's more than I've managed - I've only really posted in mod queues.
TheKingHenry

Protochi wrote:

LOL

doesn't sound like you should worry too much about it then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WitherMite wrote:

That's understandable, at least you got the courage to message someone, that's more than I've managed - I've only really posted in mod queues.
that's better than nothing, and you can get quite a bit of help from modding queues too - maybe usually not the kind of general guidance that would be the best when starting out though