forum

Question

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_13285785
Hey, I'm wondering something.

Is it allowed to publish a beat-map of a paid song without the original creator's consent? I feel as if it's considered encouraging piracy and possibly illegal and most likely unethical, but is this kind of thing allowed on osu! or do I need to take down my maps?
PaRaDogi
To my experience a map like this uploaded stays up until the artist him self request it to be removed. There are many cases that happend. You wont get in trouble for uploading the worst that happens is: you pending map will be removed or if ranked its not possible to download
lewski
From the Beatmap submission rules:

Rules wrote:

Make sure you have permission to use any content involved in your beatmap. This includes songs, videos, hitsounds, graphics, and any other content that isn't your own creation.
In many countries, there are also laws that say the same thing. Most people ignore these rules and laws until the artist actually takes action against the maps, but if you do want to follow them, yes, you need to get permission and/or take down any maps using assets you don't have permission to use.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_13285785
Well, that eliminates most songs I want to map and have already mapped, as I can't get in contact with most artists. I think I'll most likely leave my current beatmaps up but get permission in the future.
lewski
if you care little enough to leave your maps up why not just map whatever you want lol
Zelzatter Zero

lewski wrote:

if you care little enough to leave your maps up why not just map whatever you want lol
^ this. Having your map removed right in the Pending/WIP state was just the worst scenario of copyright infrigement, and most companies probably don't be that extreme in their copyright terms. Like if you just want to map for practice and not distributing it, which means they're neither gain nor lose the profit then why would they even care lol.

Just because you can't get permission for artist's works doesn't mean your mapping carreer ends here, just map what you want first and only pay attention about it when you actually push anything to ranked.
Asphiee

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

lewski wrote:

^ this. Having your map removed right in the Pending/WIP state was just the worst scenario of copyright infrigement, and most companies probably don't be that extreme in their copyright terms. Like if you just want to map for practice and not distributing it, which means they're neither gain nor lose the profit then why would they even care lol.

Just because you can't get permission for artist's works doesn't mean your mapping carreer ends here, just map what you want first and only pay attention about it when you actually push anything to ranked.
This I agree. Just worry about those things after man.
Chiru-kun
lets stop lying and be honest.

who actually goes up to some artist gmail or pm and says "hey im gonna use this for a game, is that ok?" when their language is probably different (ahem Japanese ahem)...
Asphiee

renzthegreat wrote:

who actually goes up to some artist gmail or pm and says "hey im gonna use this for a game, is that ok?" when their language is probably different (ahem Japanese ahem)...
HEY! i did..... well at least...once~ tee hee
lewski

renzthegreat wrote:

lewski wrote:

Most people ignore these rules and laws
?
DeletedUser_13957006

lewski wrote:

?
?
Steppo

Blackeei wrote:

lewski wrote:

?
?
?
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_13285785
A beatmap-nominator recently said to me that the rule is there solely to prevent someone taking legal action against osu! and for me to just not worry about it.